• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pilot 'license' and OCS selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Here's the deal-I have a strong package. all except for my gpa, which currently sits at 3.0 in a soft major (psych). I am currently working on earning my private pilot certificate. Seeing as how the navy is looking for gpa's of 3.2 right now for sna applicants, will my pilot certificate make up for my deficient gpa? is the 3.2 thing just desirable-or is it a minimum to even be considered for further processing? This is driving me up the wall, and my recruiter isn't helping much.

Thanks

geerst

Mr. Slasher,

For aviation selection, the GPA is commingled in importance with ASTB scores, flight experience (currently a bonus, became so back in August '02), PT performance, and possibly extra-curricular activities. Aviation has not stated a definite GPA, like some of the other communities. My experience watching who gets selected: high ASTB scores, technical degrees, average GPAs. If you were to earn 9s on the ASTB, you could get into a cockpit with a 2.5 GPA. Your recruiter does not know what is going on in the minds of the selection committee. I do not either. That is just as frustrating for us recruiters. As the selection committees do not report out on their criteria. Hang in there.

OPO

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Thanks for the info, Geerst. Let me clear 1 thing up though. How big a detriment to my application is it that my major is psychology and not a technical degree? I realize they look at the 'whole-person' concept, but sometimes I get the feeling that regardless of how strong my package is, since I don't have a tech degree, I can just forget it. That may be an exaggeration, but it sure doesn't feel like it from where I'm at.

geerst

Do not dispair having a non-technical degree. Not all aviation selects are technical degree holders. I do not know the percentage, but I would guess maybe 60% w/ technical. Besides, it is too late now. That is the degree you have. Make your application stronger in other areas. Retake the ASTB. Gather civilian flight time. Start working on a master's degree.

OPO

psrogers

Intel Officer
What's up Geerst?

I'm one of the recruits trying to get a commission through your Seattle office- Mark Donahue is my primary recruiter. I just got some great pictures back from when you introduced me to the Blue Angels last summer- that was a good event. I'm also really glad to see an actual recruiter on this web site, since so much talk goes on here and lots of the information comes second hand.

What's up with my intel package? It's been in for two and a half months, and still no word. LT Donahue doesn't have any answers (not his fault from what I understand). Feel free to send me a message directly in response if that is better, or just post on the page.

Thanks, Paul Rogers

FlyGirl

Slasher, I can't really answer your question in regards to selection of being an aviator candidate. But what I can say is that my friends that went through API and Primary said it was much easier having flown before and knowing more about what you were doing. I would also suggest to anyone who is thinking of flying to go book at least one flight in a small plane to experience the feeling. It's not like flying in a commercial airliner. :) Anyway, hope that helps.

I do not have a technical degree, had a 3.1 GPA and had only one flight in when I applied. I was accepted. However, now I have 30 hours of flight time and counting...plus solo time. I believe it can only help me.

There are no rules, just follow your heart. - Robin Williams

geerst

Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you. I will respond here as the insight on the process will be beneficial to others.

Your kit was lost at CNRC. The other day I requested an update on all the outstanding kits at CNRC, to discover yours was not in the mix. It is now and will be sent to the next Intel board.

When an applicant completes his kit, or ADDOCS (additional documents, words taken from the nuclear processing side), and returns to his recruiter, we fax them to a single computer at CNRC. CNRC had some serious growing pains with implementing this new ADDOCS system. At the time yours was sent up, CNRC had only one incoming fax line, they now have four. It took awhile for us out in the field to realize we needed to contact CNRC in a few days to check if the fax was received on their end. On and on, both sides discovered problems and fixes for this new submission system. Paul, yours and about 6 others from different districts were lost, or rather floating around in their system with no where to go. The kits are electronically routed to the different selection boards. We had checked that CNRC received your kit, that was fine. But the processing within CNRC after receipt, something we cannot monitor out here, was the problem. Since I had not heard any news from the selction board, I thought your kit was simply waiting for the next board. Hearing nothing from Intel and Crypto for the months of Nov thru Jan was not unusually, as those two communities effectively stopped selecting until they could figure out their end-strength numbers for FY-03 and FY-04 manning. So hearning nothing did not raise any flags with us. Unfortunately, it also meant discovery of your "lost kit" was delayed.

Sorry that happened, Paul. Hang in there.

OPO

psrogers

Intel Officer
Well... ...

I won't say that I am totally surprised, given all the bureaucracy that exists in the system. But at least I haven't been rejected.

New question: when will then next intel board convene? Since the budget just went to congress, will the boards meet again in the very near future?

This is a lesson in patience.

Thanks, Paul

geerst

Paul,

I do not know when the next Intel board will be. Two factors determine the date: 1) Only one Intel slot remains for this FY. So, no big hurry; 2) The Navy is working the numbers to determine the manning for FY-04. Some selections may be made before the final FY-04 numbers are decided, but not all selections since the communities do not know if they need 30 bodies or 110, for example. What will probably happen, is the Intel bubbas will convene to separate the players from the non-players, but not issue final selects just yet. That will prevent a huge backlog when the boards start actually selecting. A few selects may be made in the next few months. This is only speculation. I cannot influence the boards to meet.

OPO

Buck

Hey greest. How does a minor in something technical, ie Security Technology, stack up? Also, you mentioned that priors make better officers, which happens to be the route that I am currently taking as an aircrewman. I was wondering would it be possible to take the pre OCS qualifications, such as the ATSB, before I left for basic. Thanks

geerst

Buke,

Exposure to technology is advantageous to an application, whether obtained in the classroom or in the field. Yes, you may take the ASTB, as the scores are good forever.

OPO

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Sir,
just wanted to say 'thanks' for the insights and advice, it is much appreciated! I hope you stick around...

`Isaac

rhightower

Geerst

I am hearing that the process is much more competitive than it was a few years back. I have a 3.41 in a business management degree, and have worked for a US Congressman for the last 4 years. Will it be difficult to get accepted to OCS and Flight School? Ryan

geerst

rhightower,

Competition and reduced quotas are making it difficult to get into the cockpit. You are positioned nicely with your GPA and a possibly strong letter of recommendation from a Congressman. Delicately ensure the letter addresses how well and hard you worked, etc. You still need to do well on the ASTB (officer entrance exam). As long as you are willing to wait till the next fiscal year to access, you should be OK.

OPO

Status
Not open for further replies.