• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pics of USS San Fran that ran aground

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I can already here the phone ringing.

Zab, glad that I can humor you. After you drink yourself silly on John's $$$ send a case of the local brew up here to Meridian. Oh yeah, on John's $$ of course!

mpdonnelly

The sub was supposedly doing twenty knots when it impacted the mountain. The force of the blow slowed them to four knots. That's a lot of force considering the tonnage involved.

petescheu

One of the news reports said flank speed... which is a bit faster than 20 kts. Either way, it was obviously haulin the mail. Amazing that thing didn't go to the bottom.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm curious how it got so much damage on what would be the top port side. I would expect the bottom of the bow or dead on to be destroyed pretty much evenly around the circumference of the sub.

Or do subs really lean into turns like in the Hunt for Red October? Yes, a dumb question...but never been on one in 24 years in uniform.

r/
G

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
it has to be a hard turn for it to angle, but yes, you can get it leaning real well.

My guess ( and this is only a guess ) hit from the bottom/head on and it shoved metal/mountain, debris and whatever else up, which may have forced the top side to fatigue and give. again just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.