• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pick up a Scholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigspy007

Picking up a Scholarship

I just finish my application for the 4 year NROTC Scholarship and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what my chances of getting one is. I have a 3.4ish with a 27 on my act, i take honor and AP classes, play varsity golf and Varsity and JV lacrosse. I am in sea cadets and was honor cadet last year and work around 30 a week. I also has Texas A&M as my first choice and i think their is 25 spots their for freshmen scholarships. Does anyone think i could get one?

thanks Fish

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
When was the scholarship due? I thought everything had to be filled out and in much earlier in the year. But the varsity stuff looks good, they like to see that. I'd think that they would look at your app and see that youre pretty well rounded. Good luck.

bigspy007

Thanks for the reply NozeMan, I'm applying for the 2005 scholarship year, Im a junior in HS. But i really want this (cause I know my chance and the academy are slim, but i'll be an officer so i dont care where the commission comes from) and i heard that getting the app in early looks good and improves your chance, anyway if anyone as advice about...well anything, it would be greatly apprecatied.

-fish

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
most importantly you have a good attitude. Your about the same as me and im a senior. Im just waiting to hear back from them.. sent in the application in early october. *taps foot*

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
BigSpy,

It's great that youre on top of the scholarship process early. Getting all of your app material in should reflect positively on you. Good luck.

Nozeman

Spitfire

Did you take the SAT?, because if you get above a certain SAT score (around 1350-1400?) It is an instant in, at least that's how it was last year. Granted, a recruiter told me this, so who knows how reliable that is, but hey, i got the scholarship. Also, from what you've done, I don't think you will have any problem picking the scholarship up.

BYPASS

Does anyone know when we might hear something? I had my app in this summer and my recruiter told me he didn't want to guarantee anything...BUT! My gpa and SAT is only average, but tons of leadership, varsity sports, community service, attended the Naval Academy Summer Seminar, blah, blah. How often does the board meet? The site states they'll make decisions through April, but just like to know if anyone knows a more specific time.

Spitfire

Last year, I didn't hear until mid-May, but I don't think that's the norm. Just keep in mind, it's the Navy, nothing ever gets done on time. Hurry up and wait, and stand by to stand by are definately the phrases to use here.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Bypass,

Where did you rank Purdue on your scholarship application? Also, what is your prospective major? i know that when i applied for the scholarship i said i was going to be an aero engineer..things didnt work out that way. Now i'm a poli sci major.

Nozeman

BYPASS

Nozeman-
I listed Purdue as my second choice. Funny...I also applied for Aerospace Engineering, but was accepted to my second choice which is Aeronautical Technology. What are the chances of transferring over to Aero Eng? Actually, since applying in Oct., I've been leaning towards Poli Sci (how do you like it?) myself. I'm taking AP Govt. this year and loving it, so I figure maybe I should give it a shot. Tell me about how the 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd works. My first choice said they don't do transfers of scholarships. I thought that was odd because all the other colleges that I know of do. Wonder why they don't.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
BYPASS,

I felt exactly as you did about poli sci, I really wish that I applied as that in the first place. Aero tech isnt a bad deal either, though. I actually majored in that for a semester when i left engineering (first semester freshman year). There are lots of people in the battalion who major in aero tech (more so than aero engineering), so i'd say that its a pretty good choice. I'm not really sure how the whole 1st, 2nd, etc choice works. What was your first choice school? In my case, I originally put Notre Dame as my first, but then i decided I wanted to go to Purdue and faxed CNET and requested a change of my first choice, which they did. Now I'm at purdue. I really dont understand why they wont transfer scholarships, I reccommend talking toyour recruiter about that....or just SWITCH your first choice to purdue and solve allof your problems! Refresh my memory, what year are you in high school again??

Nozeman

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fish,
Getting uour scholarship app in early will give you plenty of looks...if you don't get it after the first board, your app will roll into the next board. But your chances are just as good as anyone elses. Remember, you are going up against the rest of the nation, so things that count will be weighed. With that, the higher your GPA the better your chances are, etc.
ea6bflyr [:)]

bigspy007 said:
I just finish my application for the 4 year NROTC Scholarship and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what my chances of getting one is. I have a 3.4ish with a 27 on my act, i take honor and AP classes, play varsity golf and Varsity and JV lacrosse. I am in sea cadets and was honor cadet last year and work around 30 a week. I also has Texas A&M as my first choice and i think their is 25 spots their for freshmen scholarships. Does anyone think i could get one?

thanks Fish

BYPASS

Nozeman- I'm a senior.

I certaily hope that CNET doesnt just look at GPA at SAT scores. Do any of you think that since I went to the Naval Academy Summer Seminar, they will seriously consider me. I was told by my recruiter not to send CNET a copy of my nomination to the Academy from my congressman. He said that since they're 2 different apps, there's no need. The waiting is killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.