• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Physics grade??

4ageminor

"I never took Calculus...or Calc based Physics...Calculus is a waste of time/effort and not neccesary for life..."

Jets wouldn't exist without calculus.

Kazimake

"I never took Calculus...or Calc based Physics...Calculus is a waste of time/effort and not neccesary for life..."

Lots of things wouldn't exist without calc, but that doesn't make it necessary for life. Necessary for certain jobs, but not for life.

concept03

I never took Calculus...or Calc based Physics...Calculus is a waste of time/effort and not neccesary for life...

You're very wrong.

There is a reason every engineer takes calculus, and that is so they can prove and understand physics. Calculus is not an ends (you don't use it directly), but a means to understand more difficult and abstract concepts.

So, students learn calculus so they can learn physics (and prove it via the often complex calculus), so they can understand how things in this world work. Like electricity, magnetism, engines, batteries, etc. If it weren't for people that took Physics, you wouldn't have laptops, iPods, cars, airplanes, radios, satellites, and every modern comfort/convenience you can imagine.

torpedo0126

I never took Calculus...or Calc based Physics...Calculus is a waste of time/effort and not neccesary for life...

Look up the regs, talk to whoever it is that is in charge of you guys, and go from there...I would probably take their answer over gouge from the internets...

Thats fine but its certainly not a waste of time or effort.

Did you talk to your LT yet?

Sta21, you should commission just fine with a D as long as it is considered passing by your school--per the ROD.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
You're very wrong.

There is a reason every engineer takes calculus, and that is so they can prove and understand physics. Calculus is not an ends (you don't use it directly), but a means to understand more difficult and abstract concepts.

So, students learn calculus so they can learn physics (and prove it via the often complex calculus), so they can understand how things in this world work. Like electricity, magnetism, engines, batteries, etc. If it weren't for people that took Physics, you wouldn't have laptops, iPods, cars, airplanes, radios, satellites, and every modern comfort/convenience you can imagine.

You know how I know you two are huge nerds? You're defending calculus on the internet...

nerds.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You're very wrong.

They were worthless for flight school, and for the rest of my life as well...

even if i was good at them.

Still not worth a damn to me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

You're very wrong.....There is a reason every engineer takes calculus

Lots of things wouldn't exist without calc, but that doesn't make it necessary for life. Necessary for certain jobs, but not for life.

In that case, only food water and shelter are necessary for life.

I took 'Betty Crocker' Calc at school and never even walked into a Physics classroom, and yet I have had a reasonably successful career in and out of the Navy.

Calculus is necessary for several career fields but Naval Aviation is not one of them. Enough said.

Stick

pilot
You're very wrong.

I learned about these without ever learning calculus. I also just came from teaching these and never used calculus to do it. I will say that to get very deep into the subjects you do need calculus, but to understand them you do not need it.

Did I really just enter into an argument about the usefulness of calculus? I am going to have to have a few drinks to forget about this.:icon_zbee