• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Physics grade??

sta21student

Does anyone have any information about the requirement to have a C or better in both Calcs and Physics? I'm in the last physics now, not required for my major and can graduate with a D. Does anyone know if I can still get a commission through STA-21 if I have a D in the second Physics? Thanks in advance. (The university does consider that a passing score).

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Does anyone have any information about the requirement to have a C or better in both Calcs and Physics? I'm in the last physics now, not required for my major and can graduate with a D. Does anyone know if I can still get a commission through STA-21 if I have a D in the second Physics? Thanks in advance. (The university does consider that a passing score).

I'm not a STA-21 person, so I don't know if the same rules apply, but I have been told that I need university credit for Calc I/II, Physics I/II. For instance, at UMaine, it's a "C-" to move on to Physics II and a "D" for credit (though engineering majors need "C"s in both). As long as the University says I passed... I'm pretty sure the Navy is OK with that.

haubby

None
Contributor
Here at Iowa State they require us to pass with a C-. While its not the university requirement, its required by big Navy.

Phantom Hawk

We've been told it doesn't matter what you get as long as you passed. Some people even took it at a local community college and had the credits transfer over.

haubby

None
Contributor
We've been told it doesn't matter what you get as long as you passed. Some people even took it at a local community college and had the credits transfer over.

I'm going to go ahead and say this is bad gouge. If you pay for it out of your own pocket I can almost see it but not when the Navy is footing the bill.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I'm going to go ahead and say this is bad gouge. If you pay for it out of your own pocket I can almost see it but not when the Navy is footing the bill.

When a class is transferred in your "regular" university gives credit for the class. For instance, I know people who took Calc I/II over the summer and transferred it in. UMaine gave credit, and subsequently it counted for the Navy requirement. It only works, and this is speaking from the university side and not Navy side, because "Transfer credit" is different than taking a class pass/fail, although neither will factor in to your GPA.

haubby

None
Contributor
When a class is transferred in your "regular" university gives credit for the class. For instance, I know people who took Calc I/II over the summer and transferred it in. UMaine gave credit, and subsequently it counted for the Navy requirement. It only works, and this is speaking from the university side and not Navy side, because "Transfer credit" is different than taking a class pass/fail, although neither will factor in to your GPA.

You are correct. What I'm saying is if you take a class over the summer and pay for the class yourself, the grade itself doesn't matter, just that it transfers. But if you take it during the normal school year and the Navy provides funds for it, you are required to attain at least a C-. Just remember: C and its free.

sta21student

Actually, one of my fellow OC's got a D and didn't have to pay for it. The money isn't the issue though, I'd be more than happy to re-imburse. My concern is that in the event that I get a D (which is possible because our physics department is out to fail people it seems) whether or not I'll still be able to commission. I'm at the end of my time and can't retake it. I was just hoping that someone would have seen a similar situation at their unit and have some information. If I ask my advisor I'll get the standard answer "Just do your best and aim for a good grade." I'm not a technical major and I'm not going nuke, swo, or pilot. I'm hoping that in the event that I end up with a D that there may be a waiver if a c is required. I appreciate everyone's input and gouge. I amazed at how fast the responses are here.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I have a question that kind of relates to this if anybody can give me some guidance. When I arrived at my NROTC unit, there were many MIDN and OC's taking calc and physics at a community college and having the credit transfer over. They were fine with getting a D because as a transfer credit it wouldn't affect their GPA. Then one fine day, one of the LT's said that we can no longer take these classes at a community college and have to take them at our university. I've read through the ROD and can't find where it says that this can't be done. I really don't see the problem if I am willing to pay for it out of pocket. It's no different than having the credit from before starting STA-21 and having it xferred over. Any insight to this?

torpedo0126

You are correct. What I'm saying is if you take a class over the summer and pay for the class yourself, the grade itself doesn't matter, just that it transfers. But if you take it during the normal school year and the Navy provides funds for it, you are required to attain at least a C-. Just remember: C and its free.

For a MIDN its jsut passing. So if a D is passing it is acceptable. Look up the ROD (regulations for officer devlopment). The Navy only requires Cs (i have to check it again) I believe for certain people trying for two year scholarships.

STA-21 program requirements can differ per your contract. again reference the ROD (just google it). It will provide all the information you need.

torpedo0126

I have a question that kind of relates to this if anybody can give me some guidance. When I arrived at my NROTC unit, there were many MIDN and OC's taking calc and physics at a community college and having the credit transfer over. They were fine with getting a D because as a transfer credit it wouldn't affect their GPA. Then one fine day, one of the LT's said that we can no longer take these classes at a community college and have to take them at our university. I've read through the ROD and can't find where it says that this can't be done. I really don't see the problem if I am willing to pay for it out of pocket. It's no different than having the credit from before starting STA-21 and having it xferred over. Any insight to this?

Well I would ask the LT what the reasoning is first. post what he says and we will go from there. The Skipper maybe had something to say about that since people were just taking it to get Ds.

The Skipper has a fair amount of latitude in decisions in that stuff as well (don't know how it applies in this case). For instance, you are not required to attend all your cruises except for the 1/C cruise. When I was at NROTC, some students wanted to skip their 2/C cruise to take Orgo. Skipper stopped that after a year even theough they aren't required.

biograd06

Princess of the Pulpmill
Physics I and II is proof that God does not want people to enjoy college.

I barely cranked out C's in both...and yet I aced Calc I and II...go figure.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I never took Calculus...or Calc based Physics...Calculus is a waste of time/effort and not neccesary for life...

Look up the regs, talk to whoever it is that is in charge of you guys, and go from there...I would probably take their answer over gouge from the internets...

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Yeah, I think I'll talk to one of the other more approachable LT's and figure out where this all came down from. Thanks.