• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Physical for SELRES

MasterBates

I'm currently IRR. Have applied for a few SELRES flying billets over the last year, and have never had to do anything for the application other than talk to a FS on the phone, and get a memo drafted saying I haven't had any health changes that would prevent me from passing a new physical.

For my current application, I need a current flight physical (within 60 days) to send in the application. I've arranged to have it done at Fallon, but what I have been seeing from the Flight Doc at the unit that I am applying to, is that I need to do a full bore applicant physical for "SNA", to include it going through NOMI.

12 years AD, little over a year IRR, no broken service. Last flight physical was a little over 2 years ago.

Anyone else have to go through NOMI coming from IRR to SELRES like you had never been flying on AD before?

My only concerns is that some things that are bad for an "Applicant" but no problem for those already designated 131X may pop up. (vision for starters).

MasterBates

Yeah.. This is kind of making me scratch my head. I jumped through my ass to get time off from work to go do this (Phrogpilot knows how much of a PITA and how not-accomodationg-unless-required-by-law my employer is with time off), and had an appointment for Thursday, only to have AVMED Fallon say they won't do the physical for someone not on flight status, and flying to Norfolk is a tad pricey on this short of notice.

The FS of the unit I am applying to will take me at Norfolk, but I need to get TO Norfolk on a day they are not slammed.

BleedGreen

pilot
The flight doc from the unit your applying with won't help you complete your physical?
Is their another nearby Reserve Unit that has a flight surgeon who drills on the weekends? The clinic I work at has a Reserve FTS flight surgeon that could complete the majority of your physical and if he couldn't complete a certain part, (chest x-ray etc) he could at least put an order in for the nearest MTF.
Unfortunately, I'm referring to a Unit out of NASNI otherwise I could let you know what weekends he is drilling.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've never seen that on a PSB message and it's not required, per the instruction, but I guess if the unit wants to be more restrictive, they can. At my last squadron, we had a guy come to us after 10 years out of the cockpit. I'm sure he did a flight physical, but I never heard if it had to go through NAMI or not.

If it's a CONUS fixed-wing unit, this may be a way for them to cull the herd.

MasterBates

The biggest problems are:
1- I am IRR
2- I live 900 miles from the nearest NAS (Fallon)
3-Unit I am applying to is on the opposite side of the country.

If I was in SoCal, DC, Norflk, Pcola, this wouldn't be an issue.

Quite honestly, I think I live in the major metro area furthest from a NAS in CONUS.

MasterBates

I've never seen that on a PSB message and it's not required, per the instruction, but I guess if the unit wants to be more restrictive, they can.
J. CURRENT MEDICAL UPCHIT AND LETTER/ADMINISTRATIVE UP CHIT FROM A
NAVY FLIGHT SURGEON STATING THAT YOU ARE PHYSICALLY QUALIFIED AND
AERONAUTICALLY ADAPTABLE FOR THE MISSION WITHIN 60 DAYS OF BOARD
DATE.

This is straight from the message. The CNATRA and VR boards just wanted either an upchit, or a memo from a doc saying when your most recent physical was and that you were PQ/AA, and had not reported any problems that would lead them to believe you could not pass a physical, or medical-ese to that effect.

I've seen the "qualifiers" in PSBs get progressively more restrictive in the last 24 months since I started watching the boards. It appears by dropping to the IRR at first, to make sure I can actually provide the required time to SELRES flying, I may have ended up hosing myself.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
J. CURRENT MEDICAL UPCHIT AND LETTER/ADMINISTRATIVE UP CHIT FROM A
NAVY FLIGHT SURGEON STATING THAT YOU ARE PHYSICALLY QUALIFIED AND
AERONAUTICALLY ADAPTABLE FOR THE MISSION WITHIN 60 DAYS OF BOARD
DATE.

This is straight from the message. The CNATRA and VR boards just wanted either an upchit, or a memo from a doc saying when your most recent physical was and that you were PQ/AA, and had not reported any problems that would lead them to believe you could not pass a physical, or medical-ese to that effect.

I've seen the "qualifiers" in PSBs get progressively more restrictive in the last 24 months since I started watching the boards. It appears by dropping to the IRR at first, to make sure I can actually provide the required time to SELRES flying, I may have ended up hosing myself.

Like I said, sounds like they're being more restrictive. We have a bullet that requires confirmation of separation, even though it's not required by instruction. As I said before, I think it might be a way to cull the herd. Also, keep in mind that they keep killing RESFORONs, so there's more already established bodies vying for fewer billets, in addition to the "new" guys like you looking for a job.

We've had several new joins with >10 years of broken time. All of them needed a long form flight physical, and that's it. Methinks that dropping the duckets on a ticket to Norfolk might be beneficial. Why? Pretty sure the boards are mostly in-house, so you show: 1. desire to join the unit - if you drop what you're doing to come to Norfolk to "get shit done" it'll mean a lot more than you might think, and B. face time joining a reserve unit that's having a board is time well spent, it puts a face/personality with a seemingly anonymous package. Don't know how much money it's going to cost for a plane ticket, but you don't have to pay for lodging - we've got a spare bedroom...

Pretty much all of this. It's painful to hear and deal with, no doubt, but very true.

MasterBates

Well, since I have the time off already approved, if I get a call back from the quack saying she can get me in Thursday or Friday, my ass is on a plane to Norfolk.

MasterBates

Step 1.. Get to Norfolk

Step 2.. Rewire Phrogpad.
tumblr_lf9oh4BNwe1qgubxao1_500.jpg

Step 3...
3451_10151377642447150_1125348984_n.jpg

einstein1.jpg

Renegade One

None
Well, since I have the time off already approved, if I get a call back from the quack saying she can get me in Thursday or Friday, my ass is on a plane to Norfolk.
Good luck. I still think you should have been a "keeper"…but no one ever asked me. Hope this works out…for you AND the Navy.