• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Phrogs Phorever

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
They DO say "report 3 down and locked," and BTW they say it at one Marine Corps Air Station that I know of, at a minimum.

Maybe there they do. My point was that they don't say "report" everwhere. If they tell me to report the gear, they want a response, and I'll begrudgingly give one. If they tell me "check gear down" (which I hear often), I'll "check" it (pretty sure it's welded) and carry on smartly without a peep. When I've been told to "check gear down" and not responded, never been pimped for a response.

Geez, talk about minutiae. But I think it's retarded that they have to say it to us too. you'd think with a Navy helo squadron (with fixed gear) BASED at the AF base, they could put an addendum in their SOP to overlook that gear statement with us because it's not required. Meh, I guess that would be too many things to keep in the old duder's head, and it's just simpler to say it to everyone.

CAMike

None
Contributor
web_020430-N-3889M-003.jpg

020430-N-3889M-003 Yigo, Guam (Apr. 30, 2002) -- A maintenance crew performs routine maintenance on a CH-46 ?Sea Knight? helicopter attached to the ?Providers? of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Five (HC-5). The CH-46 is a tandem-rotor transport helicopter designed for both land and sea based operations. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer?s Mate 2nd Class Marjorie McMillen. (RELEASED)

Nice photo Heyjoe. I thought the Green colored 46's went away in the late 80's. Interesting, Thanks. (having computer issues- sorry if this turns out to be a double post in the thread)

ch46aboveussbooneflight.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe there they do. My point was that they don't say "report" everwhere. If they tell me to report the gear, they want a response, and I'll begrudgingly give one. If they tell me "check gear down" (which I hear often), I'll "check" it (pretty sure it's welded) and carry on smartly without a peep. When I've been told to "check gear down" and not responded, never been pimped for a response........Geez, talk about minutiae. But I think it's retarded that they have to say it to us too. you'd think with a Navy helo squadron (with fixed gear) BASED at the AF base, they could put an addendum in their SOP to overlook that gear statement with us because it's not required. Meh, I guess that would be too many things to keep in the old duder's head, and it's just simpler to say it to everyone.

Jeez Otto, scrape some of that salt off.

I am pretty certain they are supposed to tell that to every aircraft that lands at their field, just because you are special and have fixed gear doesn't mean that the F-4's, EA-6B's, B-2's, C-17's and all the rest of the aircraft that cycle in an out of Guam have it to. The simple, easy and certain way that they know they tell everyone to do it is to tell everyone to do it, including the whirly-birds at the other end of the field. Lowest common denominator, get over it.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Nice photo Heyjoe. I thought the Green colored 46's went away in the late 80's. Interesting, Thanks.
You're right. It was an old paint scheme that we brought back during our transition to the MH-60S. The one above was from HC-8 (Now HSC-28) and the one below was from HC-6 (now HSC-26). I was lucky enough to fly 00 from Norfolk to Pensacola for my fini flight as AOPS at HC-6 back in 2003. Now it's on display (outside, I think) at the Museum of Naval Aviation. For the induction ceremony, our Skipper and MO flew it right onto the runway pad in front of the Atrium. Skipper shut down, walked into the atrium, and greeted the crowd of Phrog pilots and lovers, Navy and Marine, ancient and nugget. It was awesome!!!

moz-screenshot.png
CH-46A%20151952%20Pensacola.JPG

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Lowest common denominator, get over it.

Oh snap! Get back to us when you get a pair of skids otto :p

Seriously though, it wouldn't be the only redundant thing that ATC likes to say. I'd say more often than not, after reporting ATIS info or even 3 down/locked I still get the "verify info xxxxx" or "check 3 down and locked" call.........then again, maybe this is just from the horrible radios we have in the Goshawk.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Oh snap! Get back to us when you get a pair of skids otto :p

Seriously though, it wouldn't be the only redundant thing that ATC likes to say. I'd say more often than not, after reporting ATIS info or even 3 down/locked I still get the "verify info xxxxx" or "check 3 down and locked" call.........then again, maybe this is just from the horrible radios we have in the Goshawk.

Wait till you fly OCONUS. I don't bother checking in with information/gear/intentions anymore, because they're just going to repeat everything anyways.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
LadyAce09.jpg

DatePhotoTaken 4/30/2010 10:41:00 AM
Byline Cpl Aubry L. Buzek
VRIN# 100430-M-5451B- 096.jpg
Unit Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
Dateline MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif.
Caption Lt. Col. Todd J. Oneto, the commanding officer of Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 165, and retired Col. Gerry Berry, a former "Lady Ace" watch as the newly restored "Lady Ace 09" is unveiled at a ceremony at the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum here April 30. Berry flew the same helicopter during the fall of Saigon, when he evacuated the American ambassador 35 years ago.

LadyAceSalute.jpg

DatePhotoTaken 4/30/2010 10:42:00 AM
Byline Cpl Aubry L. Buzek
VRIN# 100430-M-5451B- 114.jpg
Unit Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
Dateline MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif.
Caption Sgts. Joseph Dickens, Andrew Kelly, Justin Boone, and Jason Penrod salute the commanding officer of Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 165 during a ceremony at the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum here April 30. The ceremony was an unveiling of the newly restored "Lady Ace 09," which was the CH-46E helicopter used to evacuate the American ambassador during the fall of Saigon April 30, 1975.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I'd rather she still have the Wild Goose stank on her than be in a museum...
Hey, do you have the pic of this bird in formation with the retro HC-6 bird that our squadrons took back in the 02-03 timeframe? I'm looking but I can't find my copy.

phrogpilot73

Hey, do you have the pic of this bird in formation with the retro HC-6 bird that our squadrons took back in the 02-03 timeframe? I'm looking but I can't find my copy.
I've seen it, but I don't remember if it was at the squadron or online. I'll check when I get to work on Monday.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Jeez Otto, scrape some of that salt off.

I am pretty certain they are supposed to tell that to every aircraft that lands at their field, just because you are special and have fixed gear doesn't mean that the F-4's, EA-6B's, B-2's, C-17's and all the rest of the aircraft that cycle in an out of Guam have it to. The simple, easy and certain way that they know they tell everyone to do it is to tell everyone to do it, including the whirly-birds at the other end of the field. Lowest common denominator, get over it.
Yeah pretty sure it's an AF wide thing that their tower guys are required to do. Nothing wrong with an E-3 doing what he's supposed to do, even if it gets Otto all bent.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
. But I think it's retarded that they have to say it to us too. you'd think with a Navy helo squadron (with fixed gear) BASED at the AF base, they could put an addendum in their SOP to overlook that gear statement with us because it's not required.

If the AF is anything like the Navy (scary thought i know) that gear statement IS required for them. Even if it isn't for them, it is still required for you, whether you like it or not.

From OPNAV 3710.7U (6.3)
"Wheels Down Report. A wheels down report shall be given as the
aircraft turns onto the base leg or after lowering the landing gear on
straight-in approach. The controller shall remind the pilot to check wheels
down at an appropriate position in the pattern unless the pilot has
previously reported wheels down."