• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT and OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

baj4160

other than the PFT

does anyone know how much they look at things other than the PFT, i got more than the 225 needed but no where near 270, so what do they do about all the other stuff you have done besides the physical things for the juniors program. anything will help out and hopefully i will see some of you in quantico this summer

Crowbar

None
hbmortster said:
Crowbar,
do you know what they said about the female scores at the MOI conference?

Wow, sorry I never got back to you on that one. I'm in the middle of finals right now, but I'll be seeing my MOI off and on over the next week so I'll try to remember. If I don't post anything by....next Friday, PM me.

phishnguy

Pft

i'm @ a 281-274 respectively on my last rwo PFT's. My situps are max and P/U are 19-20 consisitently, but my run is 21:00-21:30. I'm scared as hell about the running part of PT. Ahould I be or am I just preparing for the worst? I want to be sub 21 going in in three weeks!

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
From what I understand a 21 minute run will place you in the middle of the pack. Probably fast enough to keep you off the DI's radar screens...Guess we'll (I'm in the same damned boat) find out soon enough.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
i heard that the shots you get during in-processing will hurt your P/U. how much will it effect them? one or 2 or 2+? and which shots do you get at OCS?

penderwt

yut king
baj4160 response

baj4160 said:
does anyone know how much they look at things other than the PFT, i got more than the 225 needed but no where near 270, so what do they do about all the other stuff you have done besides the physical things for the juniors program. anything will help out and hopefully i will see some of you in quantico this summer

yeah, other stuff matters, but PFT is most important (you've probably heard that a million times). High school and college involvement, eagle scout, academics, personal statement, badass letters of recommendation all help, but work the PFT, you can get better scores if you work at it every day. send me a private message if you want good workouts for running or pullups...i'm not an expert, but i went from a 220 to a 300 in 2 months.
Semper Fi.

usmcecho4

pilot
pullup shots

JDawg2332 said:
i heard that the shots you get during in-processing will hurt your P/U. how much will it effect them? one or 2 or 2+? and which shots do you get at OCS?

It hurt mildly for a day but I actually did 2 more pullups than I did at preship so didn't do me much harm. What will hurt you is if your form is anything less than perfect as those pullups WILL NOT BE COUNTED.

kill,
usmcecho4

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
penderwt said:
yeah, other stuff matters, but PFT is most important (you've probably heard that a million times). High school and college involvement, eagle scout, academics, personal statement, badass letters of recommendation all help, but work the PFT, you can get better scores if you work at it every day. send me a private message if you want good workouts for running or pullups...i'm not an expert, but i went from a 220 to a 300 in 2 months.
Semper Fi.

Could you Private Message me the program you used?

Clux4

Banned
penderwt said:
Semper Fi.
Can you PM me your running program.
Gracias

SFgirl

penderwt said:
send me a private message if you want good workouts for running or pullups...i'm not an expert, but i went from a 220 to a 300 in 2 months.
Semper Fi.

Could you PM me the running workouts?? Thanks!

Raptor2216

Its hard to say how OCS will effect everyone at the individual level. I see posts about PFT scores going down and staying the same and increasing for your final OCS PFT. What I noticed in my platoon and the whole company for that matter was that the final PFT scores were considerably higher than the initial scores. Your run can be improved in a month by 3 mins without a problem, depending on how your body is. I saw run times improve by over 3 mins in the snr's course so I think its safe to say that run times will definately improve in OCC. It comes down to what you put into it. The simple fact of the matter is that you need to push yourself to improve.

As far as a "good enough" run time goes, I would say that if you can handle a 20-21min run then you will be fine assuming that you don't end up with shin splints. Now, don't take that as your goal because that is only good enough to get by. If anything, you want to stand out during PT because it makes your look better overall.

Hope this helps.

dliu115

lieutenidate at tbs
a little advice to all the candidates out there...

don't stress out about the pft. the pft means absolutely NOTHING. i've seen guys come in w/ 290 pft scores and do absolutely terrible on the e-course. if you really want to prep physically for ocs (and tbs) just run in boots and a pack on your back. don't get caught up in pft scores. the key to success ocs and as a marine officer is leadership. the corps figures that they can whip you into shape if you're a fatbody, but leadership, you have to do yourself. good luck.

usmcecho4

pilot
I agree. There are a lot of people out there with really hight PFT's due to pull up scores. I will tell you that very little upper body is required at OCS. The main thing is running. My PFT at juniors was 226 and at seniors it was 250 but I still was in the top 10% for overall phsical fittness score in my company and I had no trouble with any of the PT events or humps simply because I was a good runner. I know it sucks but running is key to overall success.

kill,
usmcecho4

Here are my approximate scores

Juniors inventory PFT
100 crunches
10 pullups
19:50 run

Juniors final PFT
100 crunches
11 pullups
18:30 run

Seniors invetory PFT
100 crunches
12 pullups
19:50 run

Senior fianal PFT
100 crunches
14 pullups
18:03 run

but you've also got to realize that running isn't everything. on cruise two summers ago, we had a guy (nick-named him "Rabbit") who ran his 3 miles in 15:38, but fell out of our hump about a mile in. i'm sorry, but being able to run that fast without being able to carry a pack for at least a mile is pretty useless...

jonww1

I second usmcecho4 post about being able to run. Being able to run well will put you ahead of other candidates and you wont be skylined by the staff. Once the staff learns your name and who you are you will be in for a long 6 or 10 weeks. I definitely agree that runing is more important than pullups

Status
Not open for further replies.