• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpj_3050

Got a question. I am a Marine in the reserves. I had a stress fracture now I am only running like 24 min 3 mile. I max on pullups and crunches. How big of a problem is the run? I healed slowly and am just getting back into running. I want to go to PLC this summer and I need to take a PFT soon. I heard that people with over 21 min times are often not selected. Is it possible that because I am already a Marine this would help carry my application package?

Shadow9660

Not necessarily; The Marine corps minimum on the run is 28 minutes. OCS has a general rule that you should be under 24 minutes when going to OCS and they select accordingly. Each board is different in terms of how lenient they are, but my OSO had our group meet a 23 minute 3 mile, a mile less than their minimum, because initial run times go down, not up at OCS. Also, keep in mind that 24 is the minimum, and you definately want to be above the minimum. I say weigh your options and decide if the injury is such that it will cause you problems. If you cant get your run time down keep practicing.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Question: Is the 24 minute PFT, the minimum for all courses at OCS?

I will be attending Bulldog. I am not too worried about it as I almost max the run. I am just curious as it is a useful guage for how fast the pace on formation runs will be...at least starting out.

Crowbar

None
I think the CRT max run time was 28 minutes and the E Course max time was ~42 minutes (not sure about that one).
If you run 18 minutes or close to it, start working on your boots/utes time. Our PTI told us we started at 8 minute miles the first week. Those were the fastest 8 minute miles I've ever run. Then it gets faster from there.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Those were the fastest 8 minute miles I've ever run.

Hard copy on that.

That is how it was at MSG school (which is why I am trying to overprepare as much as possible for everything). They said they were running at 7 min/mile pace, but I can't imagine having to puke running at only 7 min/miles, and I have never seen 3/4+ of a platoon fall out from a run before (except on the hills in Pendleton). I remember the first run, I started at the beginning of the formation, near the end of the run I thought I was going to puke, so I slide off to the side so as not to hit anyone...there was no one behind me! Looked back and it was like the trail of tears!

Crowbar: Not sure if there is a "right or wrong" answer to this, and I guess it is better than nothing, but do you think that running up and down stairs in boots and utes would adequately prepare me for MECEP Prep?

I am currently overseas and for opsec purposes I can't exactly go running around town in boots and utes, the only thing I can think of is to run stairs, and when the ice melts, to run in boots + baggy sweats.

pjxc415

pilot
As I'm not a MECEP i can't fully answer your question, however I can give you some good advice. My freshman year (i'm a 2/c marine-op in rotc) i went the U. of San Diego. My MOI there, is also the MECEP Prep CO. Like I said I didn't go to Prep but I trained twice week with all the MECEPs who did under the Captain's command, and I trained under his command for a full year. I think running stairs in boots and utes would definitely help. We consistently trained on some nasty dirt hills that were really steep, doing sprint repeats on them and very often doing 6-8mile humps on them (they're behind my old school). From what I heard that training was pretty similar to MECEP Prep training. So my advice is train your a$$ off for some rugged hills, plenty of o-course training, pullups, and some hard runs. If stairs are all ya got, i'd hit em every day.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
After rereading it, I guess it was kind of a dumb question...if it is all I can really do, it is better than nothing (obviously).

I just got done running them actually, and I am definitely going to have to keep doing it. Great workout, probably as good, if not better than simply running.

Thanks for the informative post pj.

F

flipside138

Huey,

I wouldn't worry about MECEP Prep. The PT can be hard if you are hung over. 90% of the PT will be in b/u and if you score below 260 on the PFT you will be placed on remedial. The hardest PT sessions were the canyon runs and double O course followed by a 4 mi. b/u run. MECEP Prep is a blast and I hope you have fun.

OCS Bulldog is another story. Be sure to run at least a 285 PFT. I was running just over 20 min 3 mile and I was in the back of the pack... way back. The hills are a ***** and make sure you can run with weight on your back in + 90 degree weather. Bulldog doesn't have the down time like PLC & OCC and the drop rate is much higher. Endurance is the key... Pullups and crunches don't mean squat. OCS is all about how fast you can run in b/u, rifle and 782 gear. Good Luck.

Clux4

Banned
flipside138, right on the money. I don't care how fast you run that 3 mile. If you can't finish your CRT then you no good. Rifle and 782 makes a whole lot of difference.

HeuyCobra8151, have tried some jump ropes in b/u. They can be source for cadio as us do not have much to do with. With the motivation and a PMA you can achieve alot to get yourself ready.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Flip/Clux: Thanks for the input. I will start throwing a flak or a backpack full of sand on before I run those stairs. Hopefully when the weather clears up this spring I will find a good way to throw on boots and get outside while still maintaining OPSEC out here.

Mostly I have been focusing on trying to be in stellar shape for whatever MECEP Prep throws at me. I am figuring that I will have a year after that to train with NROTC, and I am hoping they will let me know where I need to be at for Bulldog.

Thanks for the motto!!

Looey

What's the difference between Bulldog, OCC and PLC. I was under the impression that all Officer Candidates end up at the same OCS.

Clux4

Banned
You correct, all these classes are at OCS, but for different commissioning sources. They vary in length other than that everything is pretty much the same. The Bulldog glass is dedicated to training NROTC options, while PLC ( Platoon Leader Course) is dedicated towards training candidates still in college. OCC is dedicated to training graduates.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.