• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Personal Question About Personality Disorder Waiver

m26

Contributor
I had some stuff from an overzealous elementary school teacher back in the day, and the MEPS doctors agreed that I was good to go. Long story short, I spent a year in BDCP and 7 weeks at OCS before getting NPQ'd and sent home.

My DD214 apparently says that I was discharged because I was enlisted with a medical condition that should have required a waiver. So trust me, it's better to get the waiver now and be done with it.

PM sent; I think this is doable.

Could you send some info my way, feddoc? I'm trying to figure out my next move.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
OT, but let me just say what an invaluable service you provide on this site, feddoc. You've probably provided more no-sh!t, real-world advice and assistance to folks on the board than 99% of the rest of us on here.

Thank you, sir.

vmiclarkpe

Hope this all works out for you bud. In all honesty though it's better to find out now than 6 weeks into OCS being told you are NPQ'd and heading home.

Rah Virginia Mil!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
OT, but let me just say what an invaluable service you provide on this site, feddoc. You've probably provided more no-sh!t, real-world advice and assistance to folks on the board than 99% of the rest of us on here.

Thank you, sir.

Thanks, but I sorta disagree. I just provide a bit of experienced insight regarding interpretations of medical/physiological issues. It is (was) my job to help you guys eliminate concern about those issues so that you are able to focus on the key issue...which is you guys being able to fly.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks, but I sorta disagree. I just provide a bit of experienced insight regarding interpretations of medical/physiological issues. It is (was) my job to help you guys eliminate concern about those issues so that you are able to focus on the key issue...which is you guys being able to fly.
Well, thanks for that then. No matter how put, it (was) is very valuable.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Ladies and Gentlemen,

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their support and especially Feddoc for his invaluable help. Also, if anyone else finds themselves in a similar predicament, I've found the Aerospace Medicine Association (AsMA) to be an invaluable resource, full of people who are more than happy to help and answer questions.

As an update to my situation, I just heard from my recruiter that the medical authority is now looking into investigating a possible mood disorder instead of a personality disorder. I'll print the NAMI regulations for that below. As I understand it, a mood disorder waiver will require that I be interviewed by another psychiatrist and that he or she finds me to be asymptomatic for depression or mania. For those who may know, is this "reclassification" a good thing or am I still about where I started? Again I appreciate everyone's support, and no matter how this all turns out, I'd love to be able to document the process for anyone else who may find themselves in this particular predicament someday. Until then, I'm still fighting the good fight.

Never Say Die!

NAMI said:
14.8 MOOD DISORDERS (DEPRESSION, MANIA)

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS:
Mood disorders are associated with decreased concentration, inattention, indecisiveness, fatigue, insomnia, agitation, and psychosis, all of which are incompatible with aviation duties. Risk of suicide is 15%, the highest of all mental disorders. There is a strong association with substance abuse.

WAIVER:
• Major Depression
• Dysthymia
• Depressive disorder NOS
The above diagnoses are disqualifying for aviation. Treatment should be considered under the auspices of a Limited Duty Medical Evaluation Board. Waiver may be requested when the member has been completely asymptomatic in a “Fit for Full Duty” status for a minimum of six months after completion of all treatment, including both medication and psychotherapy. A current psychiatric evaluation is required to document complete, sustained remission of all symptoms, and shall be included with the waiver request. Further recurrences are CD, waiver not recommend.

• Bipolar Disorder:
The above diagnosis is disqualifying for aviation, and the member is not eligible for a waiver. The member should be referred to central Physical Evaluation Board for determination of fitness for general duty / retention. INFORMATION REQUIRED.
1. Psychiatric evaluation and treatment summary
2. Medical Board reports (if applicable)

TREATMENT:
Psychotropic medications and psychotherapy for depressive/manic symptoms are not compatible with aviation duties.

FOLLOW-UP REQUIREMENTS:
Psychiatric follow-up is at the discretion of the mental health provider. Mood disorders are generally seen at least monthly early in therapy or while on limited duty. After the member has been completely asymptomatic in a “Fit for Full Duty” status for a minimum of six months after completion of all treatment, including both medication and psychotherapy, a waiver can be requested. A current psychiatric evaluation is required to document complete, sustained remission of all symptoms and shall be included with the waiver request.

DISCUSSION:
15% of depressed patients eventually commit suicide. 50-75% of affected patients have a recurrent episode. Acute major depression is treatable in 80% of patients. 20-30% of dysthymic patients develop subsequent depression or mania.

ICD-9 CODES:
296.2 Major Depressive Disorder, Single Episode
296.3 Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent
296.0 Bipolar Disorder
300.4 Dysthymic Disorder
311 Depressive Disorder, not otherwise specified

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
"possible" mood disorder ... this is normal and will very likely end up in your favor. They just want to ensure you don't have the disorder, etc.

It is a good sign.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
AllAmerican is quite brave for speaking openly about what can be a clearly an uncomfortable topic for many. I admire your openness & honesty about it. We can all learn from it.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
...and no matter how this all turns out, I'd love to be able to document the process for anyone else who may find themselves in this particular predicament someday. Until then, I'm still fighting the good fight.

Never Say Die!

I like this. You're OK in my book, AllAmerican. Good luck to you, buddy.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Good news! I have just heard back from my recruiter and he has said that BUMED/M3M has cleared me for military service. He has said, however, that NAMI may have some more hoops for me to jump through at some point. But for now I have to go through the rigmarole of having my packet put back in the stack for Final Select. For those with the knowledges, what would be the best way to document my ordeal? Should I start a stickied thread or write a blog post?

Also, I appreciate everyone's help; it's meant so much to me that I simply don't have words. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Reactions: m26

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congrats AllAmerican!! I know we have quite a few stickied threads, but that is my personal preference. Maybe there is a reason the webmaster would like to have it in blog form. Me, go with a sticky. It is probably more searchable. Good luck on NAMI.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Good news!

Well done!

Though I know nothing about lies ahead for you with respect to NAMI, I will offer one bit of advice, anyway. Keep every single shred of paperwork (forms, emails, notes, waivers, whatever) you have and have it on you at all times when you are dealing with Medical.

Congratulations and best of luck to you. Keep us updated.