• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

personal info for 188 accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow9660

Mako,
My dad said the boots range from 70-120 at Barstow, but I saw that post in the "188 whos accepted" thread from the guy who said they didnt run in boots until 5th week. So I'm thinking of just buying a pair, and breaking them in just in case, and using the issued pair as inspection pair.
- Roger that on the watch, also must have a strong alarm, I'm not a morning person, but I'm getting up earlier and earlier to prepare.
How many of the essential items (underwear, socks, bags, etc. ) are you guys bringing? sound off with any item.
-Chris

JTD

Just got a call from my oso, I've been selected for 188-air. I'm out of Philadelphia, so I guess the east coast board is done.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
jtd22 said:
Just got a call from my oso, I've been selected for 188-air. I'm out of Philadelphia, so I guess the east coast board is done.

Hooly crap! sorry for the wait! for 187 it was the opposite, and the west coast board met about two weeks after the East, so I know how that waiting feels when everyone else is getting accepted! Welcome aboard, what are your stats? contract? etc...

JTD

It was tough watching all the west coast people talk about getting accepted while still waiting. I got contracted for air. I have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering with a 7/7/7 on the ASTB and a 289 pft.

schmied

OCS 188 Air
hey all, I too missed the meeting, but not for lack of trying. I couldn't get to the chat, I guess that Java thing. I was at work (after work hours) I'm just going to try it from home this coming Thrsd.
Merlin and Makoslim, you guys said you were on, can you post a quick summary of topics on the group site? That is if it was anything worth sharing -cause no one else was on...

Merlin

Merlin
For all those who missed Thursdays meeting..........

Mako had a list of highly recommended items to bring with you to OCS. They are:
1) X-tra Bootbands
2) Gallon and quart glad lock bags
3) A couple rolls of 1" and 1/2" athletic tape
4) Small ruler (for uniforms)
5) Permanent Markers
6) Vaseline (for humps....prevents chafing)
7) Standard issue Sea Bag
8) Waterproof notebook
9) X-tra pens
10) Small toothbrush

Mako, Did I forget anything??

I think the following will be usefull too:
1) Post-It flags
2) Notebook(s)

Besides that we talked about a few basic topics, UCMJ, SMEAC, Interior guard, and got to know one another. Well hope to see the rest of you there this Thursday......

Merlin

peanut3479

pilot
Get some waterproof medical tape instead of or in addition to athletic tape. It's more expensive, but you'll have to change the tape on your rifle, canteens, etc. a LOT less often.

NosniboR80

Waterproof tape sounds like a good idea, but it wouldn't have helped in the first 4 wks of 187. We had to change it infrequently, and the cause was always the same. Either we had inspections (where they might ask if it was freshly labeled, even if it was clean) or we had just been through the mud (making them dirty). So, unless the waterproof tape can resist all mud and dirt stains AND hold up against scratches from concertina wire, then it wouldn't really do any good. You'd be surprised how well the regular tape works, so long as you don't expect it to stay clean. Not to mention that if you are using it, then everyone has to be using it.

Also, and this is a small point, I took a bunch of regular sharpies, which was great - except that sharpies cause some bleeding on the athletic tape (making it look faded and less sharp). This wasn't really a problem, but I did have to use the issue perm marker for inspection labeling. So, you may want to try some other brand of perm marker to see if they fare better.

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
So what about long underwear and other cold weather gear? Will any of it be approved? Also, what kind of socks are you guys getting? I saw someone say something about thorlos, but what kind would you guys recommend?

Crowbar

None
Michael W said:
have a prior tell you where to mark it(most aren't good for much else).

I'm thinking you just didn't exploit their talents. Remember, these priors who "aren't good for much else" are coming from the ranks of the NCO's and Staff NCO's you'll be relying on your whole career.

~from a 10 yr prior

2065_2530_5G

Shadow9660

Just a question....how many green silkies are issued? I thought the large bag item list said "1"... how many extras should I bring and what kind? Any extra items that gave any of you 187's trouble?

Merlin

Merlin
To MichaelW

MichaelW?????

I can't believe that a NEWLY Commissioned Marine Officer would make such a condescending remark towards the fellow Prior Marines that helped him graduate. On top of that, have the audacity to not apologize for such trash coming from ones mouth. That statement you made "(most aren't good for much else)" has to be one of the most uneducated, ignorant and downright disrespectful comments I've ever read on this site. In case your wondering, YES I'm a prior Sgt that doesn't know everything, but is willing to help out in any way I can.......thats what makes Marines. NOT SLANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_rage

Merlin

horned frog

Merlin, here's how I interpreted MichaelW's remark: Priors are only useful in certain situations during OCS due to the fact that it is an entirely new and challenging experience for ANYONE who goes through it. However, once commissioned, priors are probably the best sources of information and are crucial in building credibility and trust within your staff. One concern I have is making sure I earn the trust and respect of my elisted Marines once I'm out in the fleet.

Let's discuss more on Thursday. You going to log on to the Yahoo site?

trongod46

pilot
well if you are considering a proir a pfc or lance cpl a prior who just graduated boot camp less than a year ago and was reservist how much to you expect them to know. an active duty cpl or above should point you in the right direction taking into account they have about 4 yrs. in active not reservist. but then again trust but verify, works every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.