• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

personal info for 188 accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.

horned frog

Kevin,

Got your PM, but you didn't give me your e-mail. I need that in order to send you an invitation to the Yahoo site we are setting up. I'll go back and double check to make sure I didn't miss it. Thanks man.

trongod46

pilot
im sure there will be plenty of time to figure it all out, im prior so im sure ill get picked out quickly by the staff

makoslim

Air candidate 188
yeah... uh... noone dye their hair purple... We can send pictures on the yahoo chat I think. I say we figure out whos who before we get there, we want to fly under the radar the first few days so we don't flag ourselves for the instructors!

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
In those Blue Monsters...just learn your ELO's and your TLO's. The questions on the exams are reworded from those. Seeing as how your OSO's are giving out gouge, try and get yourself some candidate regs. That is the true Bible of OCS.

SFgirl

usmcecho4 said:
I know you meant 257 not 157 right?

s/f
usmcecho4

Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think you could even get your books out of the office and contract without a 225...

Shadow9660

must have missed the thread, but where can I get that "Blue Monster", or any gouge regarding candidate regs....what else is good study prep for OCS

by the way..im sure there will be time at OCS when we can do a shout out of airwarriors crew...then we can just sound off our first names, no?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Shadow- I never recieved any of that gouge before I shipped. The only way to get it is from somebody who saved it after training. The Blue Monster is just the academic outline for all the classes at OCS. The candidate regs let you know all the minutia regarding daily life and regulations involving candidates: from formations to prepping gear for inspections. Some of the guys on this site seem to have this stuff, maybe they'll send it to you. If you don't get it, don't worry. If you can pull a 2.0 in college, you can pass the classroom part of OCS. The best study prep is for OCS is PT. The knowledge will come once you're there.

muc1

I was NPQ’d at pickup for an injury during 187. This is what I found...

Bring a small bottle of bleach for you canteens. Use 1 part bleach:1 part water (you don't need very much). Be sure to shake well with the lid on tight, then loosen and invert to wet the threads, and leave in the canteens about 20 minutes. Bleach will kill any bacteria and most viruses. Rinse the canteens out a minimum of three times with plenty of water. You can keep the bleach in the community wall locker by the head where the rest of the cleaning supplies are. Repeat EVERY week at least. More if you get sick.

Also, a small travel toothbrush and paste combo would do nicely. Keep it in your pocket and brush after each meal. Getting a cavity sucks....

For the first few days, I would just throw out the socks and civilian skivvies when they get dirty or wet. Mine got wet, and though I packed them in ziplocks – they STUNK. Sucked carrying around $2 worth of wet crap taking up space.

Buy the green silky PT shorts online to use when you get picked up.

Can’t over emphasize the sea bag idea. No one told me (didn’t find this forum until after I got back) and I was one of those idiots trying to carry a small carry-on suitcase. NOTHING is allowed to touch the parade deck but your boots when moving from place to place.

Small pair of scissors. You’ll need these to cut through some of the wrapping on the issue stuff you buy.

I thought this was helpfull...

www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg445f/ocs/

Good luck to everyone.

NosniboR80

DO NOT LOSE YOUR GREEN SILKIES. I'm not so sure about buying them beforehand since there are several different kinds, and I think they change what kind they use regularly. If you aren't wearing the right kind, you will get reamed and probably an essay.

Stencil your gear religiously - especially your silkies. I was down to one pair of silkies by the time we got our first PX call. There aren't any thieves in the USMC, but there sure are at OCS.

If need be, through just a few items in a laundry bag, tie it up (not with the string, but with the mesh part), and throw the whole thing in the laundry to ensure that you keep all your stuff. It's all fine and dandy to share and distribute extra things like ziplocks, but when you've got a rash because you are walking around all day in sweaty silkies, you won't be happy.

trongod46

pilot
Now that its only a few weeks away, what is everyone doing to get ready, just curious to know how others are preparing

Shadow9660

trongod,
Called Barstow Exchange- said they had plenty of new issue boots in stock...dont know if thats farther than pendleton for you, but I'm on the way, (right off Main Street in Hesperia) if you go, give me a shout. Right now to prepare I've just been PT'ing it up- since I left my job, thats all I have left to do. Sorry I missed the first meeting guys, I forgot it was 7pm central...thats 5pm pacific right? woops. Gotta start getting the rest of my stuff ready to pack- by the way, the new sea bag has the extra strap to wear as a backpack right, is that what everyone is getting- my dad (MsGt ret.) said the old one is just one strap, and you had to throw it over your shoulder. How many pairs of Thorlos and skivies are you bringing, and what other socks? If we have new issue boots, bring em?

What kind of regiment are you guys using at this point to PT? Personally, the guide the OCS site gives is too easy for me, (except for the later stages running) because I guess it assumes you haven't been doing anything, plus I like staying in my own routine. Heres what I do
RUN: Doing switchup runs- sprints one day, two timed runs mon/fri plus an endurance run on the weekend/w/hills 6-7 miles (Timed runs at gym) I live at 4200 elevation...so air is thin...hoping that helps...how is it in Quantico?
SITUPS: I dedicate a full hour at the gym just to abs (situps, crunches, inclines, weighted crunches, bolo pulldown) every time at the gym...anything else I should do?
PULLUPS: Still on armstrong program...working great, even though some say they dont get long term results with it...as long as I can do my 20 I dont complain. I find that if I cant always stick to it....I do at least 40 pullups a day w/ 2-3 resting days, and I have no problems.
----What about weight training guys? I've cut my weight training down so I dont add weight for the run, is this a good idea? Thoughts?

Sorry so long...I missed the meeting...please read my post and find out what I need to add to either my workout or my "getting" ready supplies, and reply/comment, and post what you guys have been doing.
----By the way, I'll try and learn most of you regular guys' names... I'll give last name out later before we leave, but not on this site... I'm CHRIS, 22, NFO option OCC 188

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Chris, don't feel bad about missing the meeting, Merlin and I were the only ones there. My list of things to bring that I have compiled from MULTIPLE sources is pretty good, but itll take up a lot of space on here (I describe why we need them), so Ill give them to you on Thursday at 7PM(central time!!). how much are the boots you are getting? about 90? Im still debating whether or not to get some. It would be nice to have a third pair clean for inspections. From what I've heard, you dont have to worry too much about hving a worn in pair before you go because you will be walking arround in your boot sfor about 5 days before you run in them. One last quick note, if you havn't purchased a watch yet, don't worry about getting a really nice watch, all you need is indiglo, and water resistant (about ten dollars at Wally World or Target), the only time you are alloud to wear it is when you are holding a billet.

Status
Not open for further replies.