• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola to Roswell

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chenault is choice, and I highly recommend that.

And that's the problem with KTHA, no contract gas.. We do take the DoD Air Card (although almost everyone does..) and we get a decent amount of mil air traffic from Redstone and several other sources. I have never fully understood the difference between contract gas and the Air Card: apparently you have to buy ~$15k of sampling gear for the Jet tanks to get a contract, but several DoD aircraft use our gas literally every week.

Anyway, just in the last two years we have had a USN MH-53E and even an SH-60B headed to the bone yard stop in for a quick tour of JD before continuing on their way. As one of the aircrew said "we can make it happen if we really want to" but our field is not that well known.

Good luck with the trip out west, sounds like great XC!

There are fewer communities cheaper and more stingy with their money than HSL/HSM, so I'm surprised to hear that a -60B came through there. Perhaps there was a contract at one point and now there isn't (that happens). For the no kidding, real-time status of a place, don't look at the IFR Supp, but look here:

http://www.airseacard.com/cgi-bin/fbo_locate (non-CAC...there's a CAC version, as well). KTHA has is a no-go at the moment.

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
Yeah, the HI-ILS 21 is the widowmaker. Lots of AF primary traffic from Sheppard. I did it in a T-44 coming back from Phoenix. It's a little easier with two VOR's and two extra hands to switch them. Marine 2LT ridealong had won $8000 playing blackjack back in Arizona, so he bought everyone dinner at Cattleman's on the main drag in Roswell. Delicious.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
And that's the problem with KTHA, no contract gas.. We do take the DoD Air Card (although almost everyone does..) and we get a decent amount of mil air traffic from Redstone and several other sources. I have never fully understood the difference between contract gas and the Air Card: apparently you have to buy ~$15k of sampling gear for the Jet tanks to get a contract, but several DoD aircraft use our gas literally every week.

Anyway, just in the last two years we have had a USN MH-53E and even an SH-60B headed to the bone yard stop in for a quick tour of JD before continuing on their way. As one of the aircrew said "we can make it happen if we really want to" but our field is not that well known.

Good luck with the trip out west, sounds like great XC!
Two ways we can pay for fuel...credit card (Aircard) or identaplate. The plate is for places that don't take plastic like the ship, some military airports, hotpits, etc. Contract gas means we get charged a flat rate for gas no matter what the current advertised price is. For contract stops, the actual price isn't even on the receipt...just the number of gallons we bought.

Generally it is frowned upon for guys to plan to pay more for gas than they have to, but exceptions can be made.

81montedriver

pilot
I would have recommended Forbes Field in Topeka, KS if you were allowed to stray up north but since you probably can't, try KVCT or KDWH. Last I was there but places gave you discounted food for buying fuel and both had great burgers. Plus DWH is neat because they have an actual water runway on the field.

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
I should have known better to plan before asking my instructor, but it looks like the trip will be as follows:

Day One:
Leg 1: North Whiting, FL - Meridian, MS (PAR/ASR) - Monroe, LA
Leg 2: Monroe, LA - Grove, OK - Tulsa, OK
Leg 3: Tulsa, OK - McAlester, OK - Antlers, OK - Norman, OK

RON KOUN (Norman, OK [University of Oklahoma])

Day Two:
Leg 1: Norman, OK - Wichita Falls, TX
Leg 2: Wichita Falls, TX - Lubbock, TX (HI-APP)
Leg 3: Lubbock, TX - Roswell, NM (HI-APP)

croakerfish

pilot
I should have known better to plan before asking my instructor, but it looks like the trip will be as follows:

Day One:

Day Two:

Ah yes, the "literally nowhere good" plan. A lot of IPs love that one. Any explanation?

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
No, I'm not sure why he chose this route. Could be some of his old stomping grounds, or maybe just trying to find a good mix of controlled/uncontrolled.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Meridian is a poor choice for approaches right now. Key only has a localizer to one runway and KNMM only has an ASR to one runway. We shut down one runway yesterday and they are still working out the PAR situation.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Day One:

Day Two:

Stay out of busy airspace, stay out of interesting cities. Sounds awesome.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
You might blow KSPS mind with a Navy aircraft coming in there. The FBO side had never seen Hornets when we stopped their on the way back from KW. Nice folks though. They won't give you the carrier there...communists.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You might blow KSPS mind with a Navy aircraft coming in there. The FBO side had never seen Hornets when we stopped their on the way back from KW. Nice folks though. They won't give you the carrier there...communists.
But will they still give you the overhead break?