• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola Internet Options

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have aweful service with Cox? My internet works great up til about 1800 then basically slows to dial up speed... Lady at Cox fed me a bunch of BS, and said there would neever be fiber optics.

Does anyone know of other good internet options? dish, fiber optics, right now my phone's 3g is better.

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
I have Cox now with no problems. Downstream speeds stay high regardless of time of day. You could try AT&T to see if they have the "U-Verse" service at your place, but it's still just cable internet, not fiber optic.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I live in downtown Pensacola and there is no AT&T U-Verse here or Verizon FiOS lines anytime soon I don't think. I have Satellite TV but AT&T DSL internet. It sucks but usually works.

It is fast, but everytime I turn my computer off and on, I have to power cycle the modem and redo settings on my laptop. (there's nothing wrong with my laptop, i checked and its only a year old)

I called AT&T about this and they have done everything to look at it and try to fix it. So, pretty much, I'd say try to find out whats wrong or you can try to jump to AT&T. It could be better...or it could be worse.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps the easiest but not cheapest solution would be to upgrade to a faster connection with cox if you can afford it. In general a cable service will always slow based on the number of users on. This should not occur with dsl but in general dsl is slower than cable. Good luck!

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
thanks for the replys. its not an apartment complex. seperate private units next to others but I believe everything is ran seperatly... (all seperate addresses and power units..) Either way, I guess cox is still the best option. I thought I had the "upgraded" "high speed" but easily could have been a communication failure and they didnt put it on my account. Really the only problems this is causing with black ops online, which will be crucial for surviving BOLTC/DIVOLC when I get back on the 3rd.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know this is apples and oranges, but the basic idea applies...

When I was a student, I lived in Gov. Gate which was a rock throw from the DSL switch. Back then DSL was the only way to get broadband in P'cola. It was very fast and reliable (low ping, as well). When I came back and moved to Pace, I had MediaCan't, which was okay sometimes, but would often slow to a crawl. What Ducky is saying is right on. If they don't have the infrastructure to support the number of users, cable providers won't be able to provide reliably fast service.

I ended up switching to DSL in Pace and even though I was 1-2 miles from the switch, it was still much more reliable and consistent than Mediacom.

(And now I live 50 feet from the DSL switch in my neighborhood in Jax and I'm plenty happy w/ consistent speed).

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I know this is apples and oranges, but the basic idea applies...

When I was a student, I lived in Gov. Gate which was a rock throw from the DSL switch. Back then DSL was the only way to get broadband in P'cola. It was very fast and reliable (low ping, as well). When I came back and moved to Pace, I had MediaCan't, which was okay sometimes, but would often slow to a crawl. What Ducky is saying is right on. If they don't have the infrastructure to support the number of users, cable providers won't be able to provide reliably fast service.

I ended up switching to DSL in Pace and even though I was 1-2 miles from the switch, it was still much more reliable and consistent than Mediacom.

(And now I live 50 feet from the DSL switch in my neighborhood in Jax and I'm plenty happy w/ consistent speed).

This has been my experience in other places. The company doesn't have the equipment to handle the number of connections in your neighborhood. I complained enough in Quantico (along with my neighbors) that they installed an additional 2 switches (I think cable uses them) in the neighborhood to correct the problem.

Mediacom has gotten better, but their service is still crummy. I would have gone with AT&Ts fiber optic option had I moved into my current house a month later than I did.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Cox gave me nothing but problems in my neighborhood (back gate, Cottages at Emerald Shores) when I was there a few months ago. To be fair, it was not really their fault but the service was extremely erratic due to some kind of infrastructure issues. They did give me some credit for all the problems I had eventually... I'd still go with just about any other service if I had to move back.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I lived right out the front gate and had some issues to begin with using COX. The signal would totally drop out ever few days. The third tech to visit finally figured out it was some corroded connector on the pole. Replaced that and it was rock solid after. Pretty fast, I was streaming HD MLB.tv games all summer without issue. Sorry you're having issues up north in town.