• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola Housing Options

VS FO

pilot
None
Looks like I'm headed back to Pcola around January. It's been awhile since spending any real time there(like a decade) and evaluating my future living options. Lots of good info on here, but was wondering if anyone can give me some more specific details about Snug Harbor (current prices, proximity to bars/restaruants) and overall like/dislike of the place. Also, looking at the beaches out in Perdido. I remember there used to be some relatively cheap townhomes you could get on the water. Not sure if the majority of those were taken out in hurricanes and if it's mostly just high rise living now? Back then there was little out there in the way of bars/restaurants/shopping with the notable exception of the bama either. What are the options out there these days? I haven't completely ruled out the idea of living on Pensacola Beach either but getting some conflicting reports about actual drive time to the squadrons at NAS (anywhere from 20mins to 50) Anyone have a more realistic and narrower time range for the drive from Pcola beach to say 86? Thanks for any info in advance and please don't tell me to use the search function.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alrighty, well, Snug Harbor is on Gulf Beach Highway, which is directly out the back gate of NAS. It's less than 10 mins from Snug to the 86 lot. Snug is just about equidistant between the Perdido beaches and NAS. There's a couple of restaurants on Perdido itself (five or so), but most are either in Orange Beach, AL or downtown Pensacola (20 mins away for both). FloraBama's about a 15-20 min drive from Snug. There's a Walmart, Winn Dixie, Target, and Publix within 10mins of Snug. I have no personal experience with Snug, but my friends that lived there liked it. Not sure if this will be a downside in your book, but it'll be mostly flight students living there.

I think the townhouses you're thinking about are the Innerarity Point townhomes, which are about 15-20mins from base, out on Innerarity Point, about 20mins from base, on the mainland side of the Perdido Key Bridge. A couple of different real estate companies handle them, so google's your friend. They're raised townhomes, 2-3 bedroooms, 2 baths (IIRC) with the living room kitchen on the second floor, and bedrooms/office on the third. There's a tiny beach at the townhomes, but it's nothing special since you're in the bay, and I don't think anyone swims there. My friends that lived there liked the place, but it's definitely further out of the way then Snug.

Out on Perdido Key itself, there's plenty of places to rent, mostly condos, but a couple of houses and townhomes. I had a 3 bedroom unfurnished condo on the beach when I was there, it was $1800 a month. The condo complexes are pretty nice, but they're mostly vacationers, and it's pretty dead in the winter out on the key. If you're living on the key, it's 5-10mins to the FloraBama/Orange Beach, 15-20mins to 86 and 30-40mins to downtown, depending on traffic. There's a couple of local bars out there, but you definitely won't be in the thick of the party scene unless you go to Orange Beach/P'cola beach, or downtown. Perdido is pretty laid back in general, which is why I liked it. If you want a more active beach scene, P'Cola beach is the way to go.

For the drive from P'cola beach to 86, it is pretty much a crapshoot depending on the bridge traffic on the 3 mile bridge from Gulf Breeze to P'Cola. I'd say at least 30mins. I've heard good things about living on P'cola Beach, but it's obviously also dead out there in the winter.

Owen

There are several really nice subdivisions built west of the back gate.
Some have some pretty restrictive covenants and high fees so read
all the fine print. That is a low area which is a concern during hurricane
season. Most of the deaths in Ivan were in Grand Lagoon. On the other
hand I have a buddy in Heron Lakes and he didn't lose a shingle.

The thing about Pensacola Beach is those two long bridges. Traffic
is going to back up on them during summer and if there is a wreck
on one you're in trouble.

As an old friend used to say, "Pensacola is pretty easy to take".

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Yeah its definitely a 30 min drive from Pcola beach to the base or 86. My stash job is up by 86 and I literally just moved off Pcola beach yesterday after being there 6 months and live downtown now. The drive you get used to and there was never really bad traffic on the 3 mile bridge, except maybe on rainy days. I think at most though it would take about 40 min tops, but the wx has to be really bad and alot of traffic going into the base at the same time too. The Pensacola Beach bridge isn't bad, its 3 mile thats bad.....yes, if there is construction or a wreck, it basically sucks. During the summer though its not that bad.

Pcola Beach is pretty dead right now, esp. after Labor Day, which was the last big day pretty much, but hey there's nothing wrong with an uncrowded beach and the bars are still fun there too.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Snug Harbor (current prices, proximity to bars/restaruants) and overall like/dislike of the place. .

Lived at Snug for 10 months. Can give you the name/phone # of the guy I rented from if you'd like. I'm sure the place is still unoccupied, but he likes having military in his place and was a prior Navy bubblehead himself. Real laid back, and a GREAT contact in PCola. Place is/was furnished, but I think he'd move it out if you wanted him to. $1400/mo, 3 bed, 2 bath (huge master).

That being said, if you care about bars/restaurants, DO NOT LIVE AT SNUG! Live downtown! The drive to base (not just to the gate, actually to where you'll be working) is only about 5 minutes longer, and it's worth it. Downtown you're within stumbling distance of all the good places, there are actually some quality restaurants, and you're more central to the stuff you'll actually enjoy doing. Out the back gate is close to nothing...I guess with Publix open now at least there's another option, but downtown is where you'll be happiest. Commute is good, community is good, stuff to do is good. Don't live out the back gate.

badger16

None
I lived in the town houses on Innerarity Point and loved it. Only 17 minutes from parking place to the 86 lot. The point is out of the way of the tourists that hang out on the key in the summer and the bay is actually pretty nice to swim in. it's super shallow (only like 4 feet out to about a quarter mile out) so it is also great for a impromptu driving range if you are a golfer. Just hit them out and either walk to get them or let the tide bring them up. As far as the house itself, it was very clean and plenty of room at a decent price point. It's where i'd live if I were down there again.
Either way, downtown or out on Perdido you are going to be driving a lot, just the nature of the city. If you live downtown then it will be a 45 minute drive to the Bama in the summertime. If you live on the Key it will be a $50 cab ride to the downtown bars in the winter. Besides Hopjacks, I usually stayed out on the key... plenty of bars, restaurants and things to do to keep me busy.

VS FO

pilot
None
Thanks for all the responses. From the info, it seems as though Perdido has not grown up in the way I had hoped it had in the last decade. So it looks like somewhere around downtown or possibly out on Pcola beach. The drive is not optimal, but at least it's not Meridian or Kville and definitely not Lemoore. It'll be nice as a "Naval" Aviator to be back around the water again. Thanks again for all the replies.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you don't already, a boat is a nice thing to have there. If you live downtown, there's places nearby to dry store or launch it, and you can get to the Butcherpen Cove side of Pensacola Beach really easily. At least when I was there, it was a good party Fri-Sun and weeknights. When you're ready, wade into Flounders/Bamboo Willies/Cap'tFun or anywhere else on P-Beach, enjoy yourself, then slow cruise back home.

I was never impressed with Perdido. There's maybe 5 places to eat and a few bars. Nothing special, and the Bama is a love/hate thing.