• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola for IFS/API

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I figured I research some housing ahead of time and came across the possible option for on base housing, do fresh ensigns stand a chance at getting anything if they are 'just there' for IFS/API? Also, is it a PITA having people visit you, as in are they allowed to stay with you on base?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't go with the Q. ENS BAH, especially with roommates, is more than enough to get a nicer place off base and have plenty left over for beer.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
yeah the BAH is definitely more than enough. Just wasnt sure the problems I may run into if I'm headed off to primary a few weeks after i get there. Also, the soonest I'd probably be there would be Dec14/Jan15; is it hard to find a place to live? i.e) are services offered to assist in the transition for newbies ? Didn't want to be scrambling come time to move so is it safe to wait until after (perhaps during) OCS to look?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pensacola is very, very used to flight school studs. They've been a mainstay of the economy for almost a hundred years. Everyone around there who rents living accomodations is very familiar with your situation. Don't sweat it too much.

That being said: that also means there are unfortunately more than a few who know all the loopholes and dodges to pull on ensgns. Don't sign anything without talking to the base Housing people (they have a "bad list" of landlords who've pulled shenanigans) or having the JAGs look over it (they'd rather spend 10 mins reviewing a lease before you sign than hours trying to un-f#ck a bad you're trying to get out of).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
About as long as it takes to sign an agreement anywhere else in the country. I have no idea how A-pool is these days, but when I was there, we had plenty of time to do random stuff like house hunting and moving in to a place. If you are a pilot, and you don't have specific orders in hand to Whiting right now, I would err on the side of caution and either find friends to room with, or maybe someone who is already in schools command. I moved to Corpus about 9 weeks after I arrived for the first time in pcola, so I basically never unpacked, crashed in an empty room in some NROTC buds' house, and slept on an air mattress.

Solid technique right there.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
I figured I research some housing ahead of time and came across the possible option for on base housing, do fresh ensigns stand a chance at getting anything if they are 'just there' for IFS/API? Also, is it a PITA having people visit you, as in are they allowed to stay with you on base?

Either find a place that's halfway between NASWF and NAS Pensacola(Northeast of Penscola by Escambia Bay) OR live far enough away that you can cancel your lease with your orders(Perdido Key is pretty nice). There's a clause in Florida law that allows military personnel to break their lease if they have active duty orders to a base that's a certain distance away. I think it's 35 miles, but you're gonna have to Google that to be sure.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Yep. But if you do that its an out of pocket move. It all depends on if you married or not because if you are you'll get a PCS move.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Quick question about the Florida military clause.

According to FS 83.682, you can terminate a lease agreement if you receive orders 35 miles or more from the rental premises. There is no clarification on if that is radius or road miles.

I have a potential lease to sign and it stipulates radius, which places me at 31 miles from rental property to NAS Whiting. The property is located off Dog Track Road, just outside the back gate. I called NAS Pensacola base legal and they wont give out "advice" over the phone and of course MCB Quantico base legal closed at 1130 this morning.

Can a landlord stipulate radius, and will it hold up?

Thank you.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Quick question about the Florida military clause.

According to FS 83.682, you can terminate a lease agreement if you receive orders 35 miles or more from the rental premises. There is no clarification on if that is radius or road miles.

I have a potential lease to sign and it stipulates radius, which places me at 31 miles from rental property to NAS Whiting. The property is located off Dog Track Road, just outside the back gate. I called NAS Pensacola base legal and they wont give out "advice" over the phone and of course MCB Quantico base legal closed at 1130 this morning.

Can a landlord stipulate radius, and will it hold up?

Thank you.
During API, Flight Management will have you print off a google maps route from your house to Whiting, if it's further than 35mi, they give you the paperwork to fill out to terminate your lease.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Thank you for the information, I am just leery of signing a lease that has radius stipulated.

According to googlemaps I am 39.6 miles to South Whiting.

WEGL12

VT-28
Thank you for the information, I am just leery of signing a lease that has radius stipulated.

Make sure you double check the property wasn't damaged by the flood. Dog track road got hit pretty hard back in April. I know Three Waters Greens is a ghost town now because of it. I will say it's nice being 5 minutes from the back gate. I would recommend being over 35 miles from NAS Whiting just to be safe (if you plan on moving for primary).

Mr Spenz

pilot
Make sure you double check the property wasn't damaged by the flood. Dog track road got hit pretty hard back in April. I know Three Waters Greens is a ghost town now because of it. I will say it's nice being 5 minutes from the back gate. I would recommend being over 35 miles from NAS Whiting just to be safe (if you plan on moving for primary).
Unless you are married and have pcs orders. Move in the middle so you have easy access to both areas.

Mr Spenz

pilot

Are you in API? Do you even know what your follow on orders will be?

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for all the information. No, I am not in API yet. I am PCS'ing down to MATSG-21 next week. We do not have follow on orders.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Finally got in touch with the realtor. They said they were willing to fudge a few miles. Thanks again to all for the insight.