• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola base housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photonchick

I wasn't sure where to put this so.... I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the base housing is like at Pensacola. My hubbie is at ocs and is going to be a NFO- so we should be there for api, primary etc. We've got some little guys so we are hoping to get a 4 bedroom. Is the housing decent? What kind of waiting list is there? Thanks for the info :icon_mi_1

Rotorhead

When I was there as an instructor last year, the wait was about 6-8 months. Unless you are Brady Bunch, you won'e be getting a 4 bedroom house. I have 3 kids and only rate a 3 bedroom. It all depends on their sex and what their age difference is. If the kids are less than I think it's 10, they think they can room together, no matter their sex. Bottom line is you will probably rate less rooms that you want. Thats the way it has worked for us.

Rotorhead

You won't be eligible for base housing on NAS Pcola, unless your husband is an NFO. For pilot training, you'll be stationed at Whiting Field in Milton FL, which is about 25 miles NE of NAS Pcola. The base housing for Whiting is not actually on the base, but it is a small neighborhood a little south of the base. The houses there are not as nice as the ones on NAS Pcola.
I may be wrong about you not being eligible for housing on NAS Pcola, but your husband wouldnt want to live there while going through primary at Whiting anyway. The drive would be over an hour one way. And when he had an early morning brief, he'd be getting up at zero-dark-thirty just to make it on time.

Rotorhead

Ok, just re-read your first message. Your husband IS going to be an NFO. disregard. Maybe the info will help a pilot family. The base housing on Pcola is pretty nice, nice base too. You'll like it alot.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I got a Q. What about this situation? Can a SNA get a house and live somewhere between NAS P'cola (API) and Whiting (Primary)? That way he could commute to both, and not have to move twice for each. Thanks.

Rotorhead

Affirmative. Alot of students and instructors chose to live in NE Pensacola or even Pace. That way they are halfway between the two. I lived in Pace during my instructor tour, loved it, great place for families. Best school districts except for Helen Caro elementary which is outside the back gate of NAS Pcola (not an option unless you are an NFO student or instructor on mainside)

Fredster809

Does anybody know the square footage of Officer 2 bedroom?? I looked on the base housing website, but it didn't have any info. I have one kid on the way so I assume I would only qualify for a 2 bedroom.

photonchick

Thanks for the responses so far. I was assuming we would qualify for a four bedroom because we have 5 kids- is that not right? (they range from 2-8years) I had heard that the 4 bedroom waiting list wasn't as long, because most people don't qualify for it. What do you think?

photonchick

Okay, little update and another question. I just called the housing office and according to them 1 room per child, and the 4 bedroom waiting list was 1-2 months. I was told while we were on the waiting list we would need to be "looking for a place to rent". Does anyone know if they actually expect us to do that - we've lived places before when my husband was enlisted that would tell us to look for a place to rent, but still gave us TLA for 30-40 days until housing freed up. Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.