• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pen cover

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, no leg straps on our Airsaves... we're not lifted by them so it would serve no purpose for us.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is the torso harness still separate or did they integrate into the vest? Just wondering if you have to still put on two different pieces of gear or just one that is the two together. It sounds like you're saying it's still two, since you're feeding the Koch fittings in.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the torso harness still separate or did they integrate into the vest? Just wondering if you have to still put on two different pieces of gear or just one that is the two together. It sounds like you're saying it's still two, since you're feeding the Koch fittings in.

You can get an integrated torso harness, but right now, I still have to put on a torso harness and vest. The integrated harnesses are heeeeaaaavvy, though much quicker to get dressed since it's 1 vs 2.

NavyLonghorn

I hate the new Airsave vests too. Such a PAIN IN THE A$$ to get the D-ring and Koch fittings through. Who thought this was a good idea?

Don't want the Combat Edge mask? I know I do... I hate my older mask.

I actually used the combat edge mask at Vance. Go airforce and its over spending. It was a nice mask, it seals right around your mouth instead of around your whole face, which is interesting, and it has a neat clearing valve.. which I never ever used. It had some other "high speed" feature that we disconnected, not sure what it was.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least in my command you can choose to have it integrated or not. Some guys do. I think it's insane, but to each his own. If you do that, when the Koch fittings pop out as you take off your harness, it's even harder to get them back in. Plus I'd rather put on two smaller pieces of gear than one huge heavy pile.

Once the new vest is on, though, I do prefer it. I'm one of those short-torsoed types who kept having my SV-2 straps slide off my shoulders while flying, which was a pain. PRs couldn't help; It's just a consequence of being .85 times the size of the average pilot.

The new one doesn't do that, and I've learned that if you slide the "slop" of your torso harness (below the Kochs and D-ring) through the slots, it tends to help hold the whole assembly in place. Of course it does take twice as long to put on, and I am horribly slow suiting up/strapping in to begin with. Yeah, IPs love that . . .

Edit:
Where is this "clearing valve" you speak of on the Combat Edge? I can't Valsalva in that to save my soul . . .

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually used the combat edge mask at Vance. Go airforce and its over spending. It was a nice mask, it seals right around your mouth instead of around your whole face, which is interesting, and it has a neat clearing valve.. which I never ever used. It had some other "high speed" feature that we disconnected, not sure what it was.

Combat Edge is actually not just a mask, it's an integrated system. For the head, it consists of the mask and an airbladder in the helmet. At high G, the airbladder inflates, actually pushing your face into the mask. If you noticed, Combat Edge mask is much smaller than the older Gentex and doesn't connect the same way.

Combat Edge also consists of a torso bladder ... i.e. G-suit for the upper body. Supposedly, it works very very well and G-tolerance is increased greatly.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
The airsafe vest is aweful. What I hate is how the PR's think putting survival gear right underneath your armpit is a good idea. Plus, considering we go through the entire training command in SV-2's, it just makes sense to keep them in the fleet. I can get to anything in an SV-2 without thinking twice. Just my two cents...That, and threading the koch fittings through the holes...that's just plain annoying when it's early and there's no fresh coffee in the ready room yet...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The airsafe vest is aweful. What I hate is how the PR's think putting survival gear right underneath your armpit is a good idea. Plus, considering we go through the entire training command in SV-2's, it just makes sense to keep them in the fleet. I can get to anything in an SV-2 without thinking twice. Just my two cents...That, and threading the koch fittings through the holes...that's just plain annoying when it's early and there's no fresh coffee in the ready room yet...

You guys wear torso harnesses? What for?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

"You" no longer wear SV-2s in training anymore. Everyone gets the AirSave. After you fly w/ it for a while, you'll know where everything is and it will be weird to put on an SV-2 again when your vest is down. There's a lot about the CMU I don't like, but when I had to switch to the SV-2 right before I transferred (since my vest was stripped down), it felt really weird and not right.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've found that if you squat down as you are threading the Kochs it opens the slots in the CMU up, and they fit through better.

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
When I got to Whiting in Oct 05, I was in the first class to get the Airsave vest. Everyone thought it was cool and everything because its what the fleet had, but it was way uncomfortable. I wore it up until my checkride and then opted for the still in use SV-2s since they were .2 the weight and we so money when doing PAs. The pockets on the airsave were retarded and didnt allow for an nice relaxed position while holding the controls. Not to mention in the summer time it felt like you were wrapped up in a body bag. Not sure how much fun everything will be when i get to the T-45 in a month here, but right now i am very much enjoying my time in the T-44 with no bulky survival gear at all to wear......although getting into the cockpit itself is like trying to get into a bodybag.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure how much fun everything will be when i get to the T-45 in a month here, but right now i am very much enjoying my time in the T-44 with no bulky survival gear at all to wear......although getting into the cockpit itself is like trying to get into a bodybag.

G-suit, torso harness, Airsave/SV-2. You're going to hate life compared to the comfy no-gear T-44.

Wearing the G-suit is like putting a plastic bag around your legs. You will soon learn how much you can sweat.

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
Well hopefullyTexas gets a little cooler in the fall/winter time....although somehow I dont think it will.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As warfighter liaison for NAVAIR AIR-4.6 who is intimately involved in developing or fixing everything that touches your body including seats, I will pass on all your comments. Please keep them coming, the folks in white lab coats really do care and like feedback. I'll also extend an open invitation to anyone that wants to visit the labs and talk directly to the folks there.