• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS Thread

P3 F0

None
What's the standard rate for mileage and per diem while on a PCS move in your car (for a new O1). The GS here told me $50/day of per diem but she didn't know the mileage rate.

Additionally, are the DITY and PCS payments are separate- meaning, does the total payment = PCS entitlement + DITY payment?
I thought it was 24 cents per mile, and then $109 per diem (total, to include lodging, food, incidentals). You choose how you want to divide that per diem up--just make sure you take all days of travel and not check in early. If the per diem rate is affected by rank, that will be a shock to me. ($109 is, btw, standard CONUS per diem rate--70 bucks for lodging, plus the rest--and isn't affected by rank) I have no idea where they're getting $50 from. Definitely ask them to show you in the JFTR where it says that.

I'm pretty sure PCS moves are a totally different pot of money than PDITY/DITY moves. You'll get one check for the move (repo), and another for the hauling. At least, that's my guess. It's be a long time since I tried a DITY, although I'm doing one in a couple weeks.

WEGL

Dity Brief

Does anyone know if we are required to attend the dity brief? I thought we only had to attend the brief once. This will be my 3rd dity move... went to the brief the first move, not the second, now the PPO folks are telling me I need to go to the brief before they'll sign my paperwork. Anyone know the deal?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if we are required to attend the dity brief? I thought we only had to attend the brief once. This will be my 3rd dity move... went to the brief the first move, not the second, now the PPO folks are telling me I need to go to the brief before they'll sign my paperwork. Anyone know the deal?

I think it totally depends on the office locally. I just went in for my HHG appointment today and was pretty surprised how many things were new in just the last year. Its probably annoying and all, I know because I was forced to have to go in person because my zip code was outside the Smart Web move thingy. But it was nice to learn a few of the new things going on even though this is not my first move.

WEGL

I think it totally depends on the office locally. I just went in for my HHG appointment today and was pretty surprised how many things were new in just the last year. Its probably annoying and all, I know because I was forced to have to go in person because my zip code was outside the Smart Web move thingy. But it was nice to learn a few of the new things going on even though this is not my first move.

I hear what you're saying, but the issue isn't that I don't necessarily want to go or think I'll learn something. The issue is that I'm going to be 500 miles away on leave the one day every other week they do this brief, and what's more, after explaining my situation, the PPO manager dude was a total dick about it. Soooo, at the moment, I'm thinking fvck him, and fvck his brief.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I hear what you're saying, but the issue isn't that I don't necessarily want to go or think I'll learn something. The issue is that I'm going to be 500 miles away on leave the one day every other week they do this brief, and what's more, after explaining my situation, the PPO manager dude was a total dick about it. Soooo, at the moment, I'm thinking fvck him, and fvck his brief.
At that rate you could f**k the money then huh?

It doesn't seem like anyone has a lot of sympathy once they give you PCS orders. I got mine this time and was immediately behind the power curve. My packout dates ended up after my report NLT date and PSD supposedly didn't have enough "working days" to process my paperwork after my PLR "forgot" to read that I asked for advances. So I guess you just have to figure it all out.

Personally if it were me I'd call and ask whoever is handling your stuff to make an exception and if they can't maybe try to talk to your supervisor. I don't think there is a rule you have to be in person at all. I mean Smart web move is all online so it might just take talking to the right person and being nice.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Partial DITY question: I'm planning at this point having the movers take the big furniture and everything else I personally don't feel like hauling down the steps, but I'm not planning on renting a trailer for everything else. If I have someone helping me move, can I legally use their car in addition to my own for the hauling? Obviously I would be paying for the weighing, gas, but are you allowed to use a vehicle you don't personally own or have rented?

magnetfreezer

Partial DITY question: I'm planning at this point having the movers take the big furniture and everything else I personally don't feel like hauling down the steps, but I'm not planning on renting a trailer for everything else. If I have someone helping me move, can I legally use their car in addition to my own for the hauling? Obviously I would be paying for the weighing, gas, but are you allowed to use a vehicle you don't personally own or have rented?

The DITY move is not considered a direct reimbursement (hence the taxability) but rather the government paying you x% of what they would have paid per pound/mile to a contractor to move your stuff. The reason they ask for expenses is the IRS allows a deduction of moving expenses from the income.

AFAIK the only specific prohibition is no using GOVs for DITY moves.