• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS orders for SWO candidate to Newport

jcharles

PRO REC Y 11603 SWO-IP 30AUG13
My orders were only intermediate, my family was left in place and BAH is continuing at the rate where they are. Once we get orders they will be ultimate duty station orders and my family will PCS. I am up here now, ship selection list comes out tomorrow so I am pretty pumped about that.

Bro your almost done and about to graduate! Good stuff! Unfortunatley I'm still waiting for my FS. PM me if you can after graduation. thanks!

JoJoGoHard

PRO-REC Y IW (18100) 20DEC13
I had to get an ORDMOD because the way they wrote my orders were less ideal to my dependents and the Navy. Apparently they write orders differently for Sailors stationed in CONUS and OCONUS.
Tan, can you elaborate or give me any amplifying information regarding the differences for orders being written for CONUS and OCONUS Sailors? Appreciate it...

44magnum

Can anyone elaborate on the order selection process for SWOs? I remember reading (but can't find where) that a list of available orders is given out for the candidates to decide upon in a gentlemanly (or ladylike) fashion (or maybe just a brawl). Is this still the case, or is it a "dream sheet"? What week in training could one expect to pick orders?

And is it 100% certain that a SWO ensign will go directly to a ship, or has anyone ever seen the mythical "shore duty"?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Can anyone elaborate on the order selection process for SWOs? I remember reading (but can't find where) that a list of available orders is given out for the candidates to decide upon in a gentlemanly (or ladylike) fashion (or maybe just a brawl). Is this still the case, or is it a "dream sheet"? What week in training could one expect to pick orders?

And is it 100% certain that a SWO ensign will go directly to a ship, or has anyone ever seen the mythical "shore duty"?

You'll either go straight to a 2-month SWO school (San Diego or Norfolk) or directly to the ship, and then to the 2-month SWO school.

Also, from what OCS grads have been telling me, ship selection happens around week 8-9. There's a dream sheet which all the SWO OCS candidates choose from. Generally there isn't too much fighting going on with the list.

44magnum

You'll either go straight to a 2-month SWO school (San Diego or Norfolk) or directly to the ship, and then to the 2-month SWO school.

Also, from what OCS grads have been telling me, ship selection happens around week 8-9. There's a dream sheet which all the SWO OCS candidates choose from. Generally there isn't too much fighting going on with the list.

Roger, thanks. My idea of a dream sheet was a bit different. In "A" School they gave us a blank piece of paper, called a dream sheet, to write our top 3 choices down on, then they gave us the exact opposite. I requested 5 inch school and a cruiser or destroyer in VA. Instead they sent me to Maritime Expeditionary Security in San Diego. Not bad, I know, but I'm from Cali and wanted to get away!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hardly 'mythical', better described as 'rare', especially for a fresh-caught SWO ENS!
BzB

BackOrdered

Contributor
Hardly 'mythical', better described as 'rare', especially for a fresh-caught SWO ENS!
BzB

Concur.

In any case, "mythically" being on shore duty does no favors that early. 44magnum, even if you did end up on shore as a new SWO JO, your leadership will do everything in their power to get you on TAD orders to a ship to earn quals. Anything less is a disservice.

44magnum

Concur.

In any case, "mythically" being on shore duty does no favors that early. 44magnum, even if you did end up on shore as a new SWO JO, your leadership will do everything in their power to get you on TAD orders to a ship to earn quals. Anything less is a disservice.

I completely understand that, and I didn't think there would be. I actually can't wait to get back onto a ship and out to sea to do the job I've signed up to do. I merely asked that because I've been discussing with the wife where I will potentially be stationed and we're negotiating a list of our preferences. Thus I can rule out bases that don't have actual commissioned ships.

I've seen the occasional ensign at shore commands though (although I didn't know their designator), so I was just curious if that was a possibility. But yes, I am aware that if that were the case it would be a career killer.

And as a GM1 shore duty has been a myth. I will continue to believe so until I see otherwise!