• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay while at OCS/Bills while attending

Status
Not open for further replies.

vballindaytona

hey all,
couple questions. Do they give you time to take care of your personal bills at ocs or do they give you online access to pay credit card/electric/phone bills online while your there at all, or should I arrange a friend/parent to take care of my payments. Second, I know at ocs you have to buy uniforms, etc, and I know that you get paid I believe E-5 pay, but when do you actually start seeing money in the bank. The money that you make while you are there, does it go straight towards uniforms? I was just wondering, I have some bills, student loans, etc, and was wondering when I can count on some income to take care of these

thanks
Jonathan

Lewisinhk

thanks for the good information, one other question, will we have internet access during ocs? i have online bill pay and pay my bills from online.
Matt

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes,

But not during the first week or two. After that, its no problem to use the computer in the battalions.

Dave

SG

What's the pay situation like for those with a BDCP contract? Any issue with missing a payday once reporting to OCS? What about BAH, BAS? Do you get FSA while at OCS if dependents are left behind?

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
You wont have a prob if your a bdcp or prior with pay. You'll get FSA 30 days after your away from your family (retroactive). You'll get BAH BAS for where your family is while your at ocs. Overall, no pay probs should be encountered for college program guys or priors.

Dave

Dave Shutter

Navy Federal also offers 18K at 1.75 over a four year term. You have to set up direct deposit to a checking acct. to them and they automatically deduct it on the first of the month which works out to about $390. USAA does the same thing with the 20K, your pay has to go to them but their rate is 4.9, I just talked to them today about it. They also offer 5K unsecured at the same rate but obviously you can't have your pay direct deposited to two banks so it's one or the other. Navy Fed may be a great credit union but they really suck as a bank. Two ATMs in the entire town and their debit card isn't accepted anywhere and then there's those lovely hour long waits if you have to actually talk to someone or see a teller. USAA has some kick ass car insurance though. I pay about 120 a month for two cars, one is new w/ full coverage, and I still have a few points left over from my younger days.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thoughts on banks, I have accounts with both USAA and NFCU:

NFCU: You are a fool if you don't at least open an account with them, with a $20 or whatever deposit in a savings account. I don't think they still restrict their membership, back in the "day", the only way you could enroll (was is only enliste?) was if you were deployed, or at a few special branches like Groton. I opened an account when I was an E4 and have never looked back. I have gotten some of the best rates and loan deals with them. It is great to go in and get the approval (on the spot) for a loan, they give you the check, and you are out the door car shopping. You get to play hard ball with the dealer since you don't need his financing, and it takes that whole component out of it. They are at every Navy base you will ever go to, yes, even Diego Garcia in the middle of the Indian Ocean. I went through a whole deployment using them, and never had a problem getting to my money. Their online account access is a plus, though I think most banks have that in one form or another. On the down side, as already stated, their wait sucks. But, if you are going in for something big, house, car loan, etc, you can just get an appointment, and not have to worry about waiting around with ppl that haven't figured out online banking.

USAA: They do not have a physical bank presence, unless you are in San Antonio, TX! But have one of the best online banking and bill pay web setups I have seen from a bank. Excellent bundled services, such as auto insurance, and financial planning. Since they do not own or operate any ATMS, they will pay all charges for what, like 15 or so ATM uses a month. I have had a USAA account since I got commissioned, almost 4 years ago, and have not paid an ATM charge yet. Excellent phone support. And speaking from experience travelling all over and on deployment, in places where the vaunted Government Travel Card (from BOA) wouldn't work, good old USAA Visa was accepted. I personally took advantage of the USAA auto loan after commissioning. Along with the auto loan, at the time they had no payments for 6 months, plus the 5k for anything else you might need (ie unsecured).

For more money if you are interested, you can get the Navy Mutual Aid Association commissioning loan, like 1% interest or somehting crazy like that. Up to $5,000. Pay back is like 30 or 36 months. You also have to do an allotment with them for the loan payment amount, plus like $5 or so for signing up for insurance with them. On a side note, their term insurance is one of the best I have seen. The big kicker for aviators is that most insurance companies have clauses for reduced payouts for you if you get in a flying accident. They recently removed theirs. Plus, they don't have a "war clause", ie we got to war, you get killed, you get either a reduced payout or nothing.

Whew, lots of info. But you get inundated right after OCS, or heck at the NROTC unit, by banks and institutions throwing money at you. Just be careful and don't bite off more than you can chew. I always got a kick out of looking at the parking lots at API and Primary, you would see all the brand new ensign mobiles: bimmers (Z3s were a popular choice for awhile), volvos, decked out jeep wranglers, an occasional porsche or vette, and the ever popular mustang.

vballindaytona

great info guys, thanks. .....sure beats my 6% on student loan payments. With regards to dave's comment about the 18k at 1.75%, i take it that is for automobiles from navy federal? If so, im wondering if it is possible to get that 18k @ 1.75 for auto, and that other newly commissioned officer loan that mari was talking about, also from navy federal (5000 @ like 1%). As anybody tried to get both of these loans at once from navy federal? Anybody know of it ever happening? Best Buy is gonna be pissed that they ain't gonna be getting their 20% interest ;) couldn't help myself in that store though, lol.

Jonathan

Dave Shutter

I'm going to meet with a Navy Mutual Aid guy next week to talk about life insurance but there's nothing on their site about loans. I could really use it to tidy up some things. Is it one of those things that really isn't advertised in general, members only?

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Dave,

Just call Navy Mutual aid assoc at 800-628-6011 and tell them that you just got commisioned and are interested in the 5K loan. They will mail you out the app and the packet will include all the info on the loan and life ins. The loan is called the Career Assistance Program loan and its for $1K to $5K @ 1.5%.

Dave

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
PS

Dave,

I think that there is a time limit on when you can get the loan. ie from time of commisioning or continuous service.

Just call the 800 number above and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.