• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay no attention...Nothing to see here...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least he's honest enough to admit he dismisses mundane explanations becuase they're "far less interesting".

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Oh man... looking at the flight path tracks on that website I was just struck by a terrible realization...

Now everyone on the internet can see when you are trying to hold and you mess up your entry orbit!

I'm just not sure I can handle the anguish of wondering whether bloggers will criticize me for picking teardrop instead of parallel. :(

If you turn aimlessly enough, every entry becomes a direct entry.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you turn aimlessly enough, every entry becomes a direct entry.
Or you can just ask for manuevering airspace and make it a direct entry. Holding is for the birds.

Pilot: "Hey, lets practice bleeding."
Co-Pilot: "Gee, that sounds nifty. Lets do it."

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Or you can just ask for manuevering airspace and make it a direct entry. Holding is for the birds.

Pilot: "Hey, lets practice bleeding."
Co-Pilot: "Gee, that sounds nifty. Lets do it."

First instrument sim is tomorrow...going to see how this flies with the instructor ;)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You guys do realize that the different holding entries are only recommended procedures. You can enter anyway you want and the airspace is equally protected on both sides of the holding radial.

To me, there is no such thing as outbound parrallel. It's either direct-ish or a tear-ish drop.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You guys do realize that the different holding entries are only recommended procedures. You can enter anyway you want and the airspace is equally protected on both sides of the holding radial.

To me, there is no such thing as outbound parrallel. It's either direct-ish or a tear-ish drop.
Heads just exploded at this notion. How could I enter holding without holding my hand up to the HSI? It'd be like doing a point to point without using a pencil.

holding-entry-a.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Thank God they are only "recommended," and that was always my excuse. Never could figure those things out very well. Most always confused, I just turned. Of course I usually had a RIO to help. Later, Flight Management Computers made my sim rides far more relaxed.

In the RAG we once had a guy do... I can't today remember which .... either an Immelman or a Split S to enter holding. ATC was incredulous! The instructor was a bit pissed but didn't down him and he became evermore famous in the squadron.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
At least he's honest enough to admit he dismisses mundane explanations becuase they're "far less interesting".

Exactly. Most nutjobs are desperate for that really "sexy" explanation that includes a lot of intrigue, lies and conspiracy. Most people are simply unsatisfied with the real explanation 99% of the time, because it's logical, boring and makes the most sense.