• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pax River quietly doubles its F-35B "population"

chefmike

So essentially a plebe today at the boat school will have nary a chance to be a fighter pilot as the UCAS-N will take over or is it his younger brothers worry? Or Maybe his kids?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
So essentially a plebe today at the boat school will have nary a chance to be a fighter pilot as the UCAS-N will take over or is it his younger brothers worry? Or Maybe his kids?

The plebe is fine, and his younger brother is fine. As for his kid - 20 years ago we were just about to fall off the cliff from the Reagan build up, and 20 years before that we were in Vietnam. My point being the Navy can and will undergo amazing change in the space of 20 years, so why even worry about it now?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah? So it can fly forward at a decen clip even in STOVL mode it seems?

Depends how you define "decen clip". That's not exactly an aviation term in use anywhere I know. Gear are down so it's not going that fast.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haha that would be a weird formation to fly in. "JSF flight: lift fan.... now"

We make it work in Harrier-land with nozzles deflected in form.

Hand signals or "gear, 25 nozzles, sto flaps... ready... now" or somesuch.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Depends how you define "decen clip". That's not exactly an aviation term in use anywhere I know. Gear are down so it's not going that fast.

I guess I was just surprised the Hornet seemed to slow with it, although it's hard to tell what exactly is going on in the video.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I was just surprised the Hornet seemed to slow with it, although it's hard to tell what exactly is going on in the video.

1. What is "decen"?
2. It's not hard to discern what's going on if you've been there, done that in fast-movers. F-35B begins to convert to VTOL mode, which increases drag and Hornet starts to gain on it. Pilot puts out speed brake immediately to avoid overrunning the F-35B. Watch between vertical stabs of Hornet and you'll see trailing edge of speed brake go up that slows Hornet to match speed of F-35B.

Shpion1

Contributor
if you watch closely when the 35 opens up, you can tell that it decelerates by the Hornet advancing a bit, and then the speed brake comes up right at about 7-8 seconds in the video. Still another step forward. And at least 10 back (can't remember how many units DoD dropped from FY 10 acquisition right now).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Decent" typed with a with a broken "T" key.

Thought it might be a new word in Eddie-speak, Regardless,"decent" is not exactly an aviation term and clip isn't used regularly either. You gotta get with the program if you want to be a "regular" here (it's been almost 6 years now). You can use rate or knots or for higher speeds: Q, smash, speed of heat....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thought it might be a new word in Eddie-speak, Regardless,"decent" is not exactly an aviation term and clip isn't used regularly either. You gotta get with the program if you want to be a "regular" here (it's been almost 6 years now). You can use rate or knots or for higher speeds: Q, smash, speed of heat....

"energy package"...."smack"....some of the favorites around NMM