• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paths to Naval Special Warfare (SEAL)

pilotvmi

Ask your nrotc instructors. When I was at VMI two guys got into buds. One was a civil engineering major with a gpa slightly greater than a 3.0 and was on the swim team. The other had a gpa greater than 3.5(ac stars) and was fluent in some other language(may have been arabic).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Ask your nrotc instructors. When I was at VMI two guys got into buds. One was a civil engineering major with a gpa slightly greater than a 3.0 and was on the swim team. The other had a gpa greater than 3.5(ac stars) and was fluent in some other language(may have been arabic).

Wow, you're coming a little late to this thread aren't you?

You are not currently allowed to wear a seal trident in the USMC. I went through TBS with a Marine Pilot who had interserviced into the Corps to fly jets after spending around 10 years in the teams as enlisted.

While he was there he was in my platoon at TBS he never wore it and has been petitioning the head of the uniform board, Col. M to be allowed to wear it in his Blues and Utilities.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You are not currently allowed to wear a seal trident in the USMC. I went through TBS with a Marine Pilot who had interserviced into the Corps to fly jets after spending around 10 years in the teams as enlisted.

While he was there he was in my platoon at TBS he never wore it and has been petitioning the head of the uniform board, Col. M to be allowed to wear it in his Blues and Utilities.

I know it's hard training, but technically it's just another service's warfare badge, none of which are allowed on Marine uniforms. If you allow it, why not all the others?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know it's hard training, but technically it's just another service's warfare badge, none of which are allowed on Marine uniforms. If you allow it, why not all the others?
Exactly. If you earn it (whatever "it" may be), why shouldn't you be able to wear it?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Becase the USAF has badges for being a historian and such?
Hey, if you've got the balls to wear something like that in the Navy or Marine Corps, go ahead I say. But my guess is that it wouldn't last more than a couple days at most before the badge/device is never to be worn again.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I'm pretty sure you are going to need a pair of these:

oakley-sunglasses-3.jpg

and throw these out:

scherna-power-clipper.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

There was an article about that guy in Naval Aviation News a while back.....much respect :eek:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Well, I've decided that I really don't want to be a SEAL, and am just concentrating on getting good enough grades to get a scholarship. BTW, what class are you in?

pilotvmi

I'm in 04. I recently finished up in Meridian. I'll be selecting next week. The unit at VMI was really great when I left. They will definately work with you to meet your goals. Good luck on getting the 3 year scholarship its a great deal(obviously).

Or a Marine, as your example just shows. I know, I know, once a Marine always a Marine, but this guy was not currently in the USMC when he became a SEAL.

Members of other branches have gone through Second Phase of BUD/S. Enlisted only though and they return to their command to continue their training pipeline.

My class LPO was a 12 year Marine GySgt who cross branched after becoming too senior at 1st Force to lead teams, I can think of a dozen SF/Ranger guys who cross branched in order to attempt BUDS. I respect them very much, to be given the shot they'd been top of their game in the Army. Some did well and some wound up painting ships for four years, a hell of a gamble.

The class behind mine had a LT who'd been a Marine Officer. He laterally transferred. If its not regulation or against policy its true nonetheless. He arrived in Marine uniform at check in went out the front door in Navy blues.

One fall a shitload of USAFA guys arrived as ensigns. I don't know their story.

Not much of a disparity in entry requirements between O's and E's. There is a HUGE difference in allocated billets. There are quite a few ROTC guys who bailed when they knew BUDS wasn't gonna happen and arrived as screamin seamin. But Officers are given more RETREAD shots, because they are never, to my knowledge, invited to try again. My roommate spent two years and four months getting to graduation whereas I was given six weeks to be fit for training after breaking my femur. Its smart money to cycle E's through faster, we can heal at TPU freeing a slot for another to give it a shot but if we can an officer we've lost him forever.

I know an M.D. who is currently a first-class and not an HM. To be a "medic" he would have to attend SOMED, using up a billet that was better spent on another guy.

I'm not an officer and wouldn't make any comment if not for absolute certainty in my statements and have limited my comments to what I know to be true.

Almost any situation can be waivered or grandfathered. I am pretty sure the oldest graduate was 38, and the most senior made 0-4 before arriving at the Team.

Almost anything can happen if youre resilience is tempered with good judgement. DONT EVER ABUSE THE CHAIN.

If anyone has questions about these very specific and unique situations I will be happy to put you in direct contact with the person who knows.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm in 04. I recently finished up in Meridian. I'll be selecting next week. The unit at VMI was really great when I left. They will definately work with you to meet your goals. Good luck on getting the 3 year scholarship its a great deal(obviously).

Holy crap, you're in my Grand-Dykes class. PM inbound.

usmc96

I went to OCS with this guy. One of the nicest and most humble person. You would never even know he was in the military. Perfect example of Marine Corps Officer and commitment.

I remember at OCS he specifically said that he would fly F18s. Talk about setting goals getting what he wanted in life.

I think he is a great role model to all young guys who keep asking "What are my chances, what percent get...?"
Set a goal and work hard to reach that goal.

I love his quote "You can't have it all in life, you wish you could but you've only got so much time. Having gone through these two career paths, I've come as close to having it all as I possibly could."

I'm sure there are more people on this forum who know him.

Link:
http://neoda.741.com/aricliberman.htm

MODS: give me holler if it is inappropriate to Name drop.