• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passwords are ridonkulous!

exNavyOffRec

It seems to me the only fed account that doesn't seem crazy is TSP (they have 2FA).

DFAS is fucking crazy. I just want to login to download my 1099 every year to do my tax returns. Not to play password fuck-fuck games every 150 days.
I forgot about having to download that until you posted, time to redo that password now too lol

hscs

pilot
Active Navy can use both issued NMCI laptop and Nautilus Virtual Desktop. The virtual desktop is far better than web-based mail & apps.
Never heard of the Nautilus virtual desktop - how do you get it?

number9

Contributor
Active Navy can use both issued NMCI laptop and Nautilus Virtual Desktop. The virtual desktop is far better than web-based mail & apps.
Reserve Navy can use Nautilus (also called Azure Virtual Desktop or AVD) as well; the sign-up process is the same.

Nautilus is the only way I've found to read S/MIME encrypted email at home.

taxi1

pilot
Duffelblog delivers timely missive...

General Nakasone loses sticky note with Cyber Command master password

I had it in my wallet too, but I got a new one and I guess I didn't move it over."

FORT MEADE, Md. — The physical headquarters for U.S. Cyber Command declared “Cyber Protection Condition 1” last night after Commanding General Paul Nakasone self-reported losing the sticky note with the master password written on it, sources confirm.

“CPCON 1” requires personnel to implement the highest possible level of protection for all computers. It is normally only declared when Russia invades a country looking to join NATO, “But this is more important,” Chief of Staff Maj. Gen. Bradley L. Pyburn told a public affairs influencer on a NIPRNET podcast this morning.

“The Senate has finally confirmed General Nakasone’s replacement,’” Pyburn told the podcast audience. “Now he must turn in the master password to our CIF clerk so it can be reissued. Losing it is way worse than losing a canteen. Good luck getting his commander-in-chief’s signature if we can’t find that sticky note.”

Pyburn told the public affairs influencer, “The boss is pretty old in computer years so he wrote the master password on a sticky note. The guy’s commanded Cyber Command since 2018, which is equivalent to two Defense Distinguished Service Medals.” Before that, Nakasone led Army Cyber Command.

“Geezer’s so old, he doesn’t know what ‘RaaS’ means,” the chief of staff muttered over the livestream.

Pyburn hopes the sticky note will be found in one of many filing cabinets that litter the physical headquarters. “All our regulations are scanned from paper because we’re top-heavy with FGOs and GS-15s who use typewriters,” he said.

Cyber Command’s senior enlisted leader, Air Force Chief Master Sergeant Kenneth M. Bruce, joined the podcast. “Let me caveat off what General Nakasone just told me. The sticky note’s password will contain references to violent anime and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.”

“And he’s pretty confident it ends with a special character,” Bruce said with scorn in his voice. “Yeah, whose doesn’t? My own password is just a string of ‘bangs and huhs,’” a slang term for exclamation points & question marks.

Pyburn told the podcast audience, “The boss said to look for mstrpswd.txt on some data backups we found in his office closet. Anybody out there listening, call my landline if you have an old floppy disc drive laying around. The floppies we found are like the ones in the ‘WarGames’ movie.”

Pyburn concluded the podcast with a hot tasker. “General Nakasone wants to know if any DoD unit has a military working dog that can sniff for passwords. Leave the four-star a voicemail if you know the answer. His emergency phone number is

FinkUFreaky

pilot
My easy answer to the fuckery of having to have all these different passwords that have to be changed at different intervals was simple. 1 down, 1 down, shift 1 down, shift 1 down. So 1qaz1qaz!QAZ!QAZ. When it prompts for a change, 2 down 2 down shift 2 down 2 down. Of course this is for everything not important (either not likely to be hacked, or negligible loss to the gov or myself if hacked) (most every navy website a JO would need outside mypay where some damage could be done). Similar take on personal life, one easy password for most websites that require accounts, Bank account etc would have a separate password. I apparently didn’t stay in long enough to run out of numbers.

taxi1

pilot
My easy answer to the fuckery of having to have all these different passwords that have to be changed at different intervals was simple. 1 down, 1 down, shift 1 down, shift 1 down. So 1qaz1qaz!QAZ!QAZ. When it prompts for a change, 2 down 2 down shift 2 down 2 down. Of course this is for everything not important (either not likely to be hacked, or negligible loss to the gov or myself if hacked) (most every navy website a JO would need outside mypay where some damage could be done). Similar take on personal life, one easy password for most websites that require accounts, Bank account etc would have a separate password. I apparently didn’t stay in long enough to run out of numbers.

Heh

If you get 1Password and it looks at all of your current passwords to evaluate their security, it will LOL at that specific choice above. Ask me how I know. :)

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Heh

If you get 1Password and it looks at all of your current passwords to evaluate their security, it will LOL at that specific choice above. Ask me how I know. :)
I get that it’s not secure; my point is the insane requirements for us to remember different secure passwords with different intervals for changing them, when it’s not something that important (someone hacking my navy e-learning is about as likely as someone trying to hack my air warriors login info, both low probability of occurrence and low damage that could be done if hacked).

exNavyOffRec

I see we think the same when it comes to passwords lol

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Does all this mean my password for all financial transactions, A1warr!or$882 might not be watertight?
Speaking of passwords…remember back in the 1960s/1970s when we were in elementary/middle school and we had cool verbal passwords that were easily memorized? Passwords like “susierottencrotch” and “humongousfartcloud”…man, I miss those simplistic times.

jmcquate

Contributor
Speaking of passwords…remember back in the 1960s/1970s when we were in elementary/middle school and we had cool verbal passwords that were easily memorized? Passwords like “susierottencrotch” and “humongousfartcloud”…man, I miss those simplistic times.
With a little modification, those will work for most systems.

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I see we think the same when it comes to passwords lol
Same same. I thought I was like Alan Turing when I came up with a similar system (apparently there are many others), only to be defeated by their ridiculous password reset requirements. I exhausted all known keyboard geometry tricks. It sounds from the prior posts that the problem is somewhat improved though.

That's why the current DFAS site is still vexing...😐