• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passwords are ridonkulous!

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
When I get this e-mail from the various federal agencies I have accounts with, I shudder a bit. It's triggering, and induces a bit of PTSD of trying to remember or concoct a new SIPR password every few weeks, while on AD.๐Ÿ˜†

Seriously, can't these fucking agencies get with the times? See below...(Also, I love their password tips ๐Ÿ˜ƒ)

"Your myPay password will expire on 02/23/2024 and you will be prompted to change it when you access myPay using your Login ID and password. Please visit https://mypay.dfas.mil/ and log in to create a new password.

myPay passwords expire every 150 days.

Your password must:

- be 9 to 30 characters long
- contain at least one uppercase letter (A-Z)
- contain at least one lowercase letter (a-z)
- contain at least one number (0-9)
- contain at least one of the following special characters: # @ $ % ^ ! * + = _
- change at least four characters from your previous password

Your password cannot:

- contain spaces
- be one of your last five previous passwords

PASSWORD TIP
Here's one way to create a strong password you'll remember: Think of a sentence or phrase that's meaningful to you (i.e., my oldest son Zac will be 15 years old on May 30!). Use the first letter of each word to create a password (i.e., mosZwb15yooM30!). Then change some of the letters to similar special characters (i.e., mo$Zwb15yooM30!). Warning: Do not use this example as your password. Now that it's been widely published, a hacker is likely to try it. Your password must be 9-30 characters in length."

Meyerkord

pilot
When I get this e-mail from the various federal agencies I have accounts with, I shudder a bit. It's triggering, and induces a bit of PTSD of trying to remember or concoct a new SIPR password every few weeks, while on AD.๐Ÿ˜†

Seriously, can't these fucking agencies get with the times? See below...(Also, I love their password tips ๐Ÿ˜ƒ)

"Your myPay password will expire on 02/23/2024 and you will be prompted to change it when you access myPay using your Login ID and password. Please visit https://mypay.dfas.mil/ and log in to create a new password.

Your password must:

Your password cannot:

- contain spaces

PASSWORD TIP
Here's one way to create a strong password you'll remember: Think of a sentence or phrase that's meaningful to you (i.e., my oldest son Zac will be 15 years old on May 30!). Use the first letter of each word to create a password (i.e., mosZwb15yooM30!). Then change some of the letters to similar special characters (i.e., mo$Zwb15yooM30!). Warning: Do not use this example as your password. Now that it's been widely published, a hacker is likely to try it. Your password must be 9-30 characters in length."
I want to die reading this

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here

Your password must:

Your password cannot:

- contain spaces

PASSWORD TIP
I've used this site in the past. FWIW I still had to write down or record them on my phone. No way I could have memorized them.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Your password must:

Your password cannot:

- contain spaces

PASSWORD TIP
Cue @nittany03's favorite page:
password_strength.png

taxi1

pilot
I've used this site in the past. FWIW I still had to write down or record them on my phone. No way I could have memorized them.
I use the 1Password password manager, started this summer, and regret not doing it way sooner. I have the family account, and share some passwords with family (log on to smart water valve) some just with wife (shared bank account), and all the private ones for me.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Your password must:

Your password cannot:

- contain spaces

PASSWORD TIP
Thankfully, I still have my DOD CAC to log in....but I'm certain when I retire retire, I'll have to deal with the litany of passwords.....VA, MyPay, etc.

number9

Contributor
Thankfully, I still have my DOD CAC to log in....but I'm certain when I retire retire, I'll have to deal with the litany of passwords.....VA, MyPay, etc.
1Password is very good - let me know if you want any help with it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Or, you can stop by your neighborhood Staples or Office Depot and pick yourself up a Password Book. Very old school, but increasingly something I rely more and more on :D
Ironically, AF IT forbids password managers and not every system I use is CAC enabled - causing me to - surprise - write down password. In reality this forces me to use my gov issued laptop as little as possible and I do the majority of my work on a personally owned Mac or Chromebook that has DOD root certs installed and a USB CAC reader. O365 is available entirely on web now. If someone sends me something CUI or digitally signed/encrypted then i have to break open the gov laptop. Now if I could just get my work email, DTS, etc on my phone!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Ironically, AF IT forbids password managers and not every system I use is CAC enabled - causing me to - surprise - write down password. In reality this forces me to use my gov issued laptop as little as possible and I do the majority of my work on a personally owned Mac or Chromebook that has DOD root certs installed and a USB CAC reader. O365 is available entirely on web now. If someone sends me something CUI or digitally signed/encrypted then i have to break open the gov laptop. Now if I could just get my work email, DTS, etc on my phone!

Does the USAF have a "Virtual Desktop" option? We got it in the Navy Reserves and it's an absolute game changer.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Does the USAF have a "Virtual Desktop" option? We got it in the Navy Reserves and it's an absolute game changer.
For Military Reservists only - who do not have a device (PC laptop) issued - yes and it is a game changer!!!

exNavyOffRec

Your password must:

Your password cannot:

- contain spaces

PASSWORD TIP
Don't forget people will say not to write them down! I have no idea how many systems I have passwords to at this point and they are all the same requirements so now when I change one I will end up changing most of them.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Don't forget people will say not to write them down! I have no idea how many systems I have passwords to at this point and they are all the same requirements so now when I change one I will end up changing most of them.
It seems to me the only fed account that doesn't seem crazy is TSP (they have 2FA).

DFAS is fucking crazy. I just want to login to download my 1099 every year to do my tax returns. Not to play password fuck-fuck games every 150 days.