• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passed Color Vision Test

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
As most of you know, I failed it at MEPS, and so I went to go see a civilian doctor at UC Berkeley for a retest and I passed!!!

I passed both the Farnsworth D-15 test as well as the Farnsworth Lantern. Now I'm waiting once again for all the paperwork to come through to submit and then will be waiting again to see if the Medical people over at D.C. will give me a go for Final Select. The door hasn't shut for me just yet =)

Thanks again Goob for having me over to golf all day, drink lots of beer, see rocket scientists, and to just hang out.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Congrats! I know you have been working this issue for quite awhile, good luck with the rest of the process.

Goob83

None
As most of you know, I failed it at MEPS, and so I went to go see a civilian doctor at UC Berkeley for a retest and I passed!!!

I passed both the Farnsworth D-15 test as well as the Farnsworth Lantern. Now I'm waiting once again for all the paperwork to come through to submit and then will be waiting again to see if the Medical people over at D.C. will give me a go for Final Select. The door hasn't shut for me just yet =)

Thanks again Goob for having me over to golf all day, drink lots of beer, see rocket scientists, and to just hang out.

Any time man haha thru the putter in the trash got another new one it is dialed in let me tell ya. any questions call anytime come back so i can win this time

shotcalla10

haha yessir. I played on saturday and shot an 80 (the crazy part is, I only hit maybe 2 greens) One of the lower scores I've gotten in a longggg time. I guess playing 27 holes with you gave me a bit of practice. I'll definitely let you know when I come up, hopefully with good news regarding final select =)

millerjd

Stayin' alive

Did the doctor have to fill out any special paperwork that was given to you, or did you get a signed paper from the Dr. and had it sent to MEPS for a doctor to sign it for "consideration in profile?"

shotcalla10

the doctor said he'll write a letter to "whom it may concern" describing the exam and such and will mail a copy to me and a copy to the recruiter. He was like one of the leading researchers in the field of color vision so he seemed to know what he was doing. I mean considering they were the only place in all of cali besides the military who had the Falant, i'm sure he's dealt with people like me before.

shotcalla10

So I just got the letter from the civilian doctor and sent it off to the recruiter. The letter explains that I have a mild deficiency but that I passed the Farnsworth D-15 and Farnsworth Lantern test and in his exact words the doctor wrote "I fully expect his color vision to be adequate for all duties in the Navy."

Has anyone else failed at MEPS and passed at Civilian doctor and got Final Select? I hate to ask this question, but what are my fricken chances damn it. K thanks =)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Now which program are you shooting for? Why must you take the physical at MEPS? I went through NROTC but my first flight physical was at NAS Pt Mugu. It was a nice and relaxed atmosphere. Regardless, the physical that counts is at NAMI.

shotcalla10

I'm pro rec'd for SNA and SNFO for Navy OCS. So I had to goto MEPS to do the medical/physical so I can get be PQed for OCS. We don't do our flight physical until we get to API i've heard.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I just got the letter from the civilian doctor and sent it off to the recruiter. The letter explains that I have a mild deficiency but that I passed the Farnsworth D-15 and Farnsworth Lantern test and in his exact words the doctor wrote "I fully expect his color vision to be adequate for all duties in the Navy."

Has anyone else failed at MEPS and passed at Civilian doctor and got Final Select? I hate to ask this question, but what are my fricken chances damn it. K thanks =)

"A mild deficiency"???? "Fully expect"???? Could those come back to haunt you later?

If you passed, you passed. I'd ask that he leave it at that in the letter.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
"A mild deficiency"???? "Fully expect"???? Could those come back to haunt you later?

If you passed, you passed. I'd ask that he leave it at that in the letter.

I'm no doc but I have to agree, the whold mild deficiency thing doesn't sound great.........I thought the rule is normal color vision. Maybe mild is accetable within that realm, I don't know, but that could always come back and bite you in the ass. If it's just used to get you in the door then you've got the NAMI physical, so be it. I hope it all works out.

shotcalla10

thanks guys, i'll keep yall updated. I emailed the doctor and asked to write the letter as you guys suggested. My recruiter thinks the letter he sent is fine but we'll see. doing my PRT next wednesday and then let the praying continue.

shotcalla10

the doctor is unwilling to change the information regarding my mild deficiency. oh well... i guess it'll have to do since no one else in Cali has the Falant. I still think it should be fine... He did state that I will have no problem for all duties as a naval aviator.

SierraWhiskey

I think I have a mild color deficiency too, so I'd like to take the Falant before submitting an application for SNA. How do I go about getting a Falant test over at UC Berkeley? Who should I talk to?