• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Parts Incorporated in a Flight Suit

altuc

Evening all,

So today I was thinking - What exactly makes up a full flight suit. Like, Im assuming its different for every branch and for different platforms. Im looking more Navy of course, but google images didnt really do a breakdown of the different parts. Im assuming other than the actual jumper there is the mask, parachute, and im assuming a sidearm for those F18/EA-6B/F14.

Yeah, according to the search feature, this question has never been asked before...

Can anyone shed some light on their branch's/platform's flight apparel?

Thanks yet again,

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Everybody gets the aramid coveralls (the actual flight suit part) and steel toed leather boots. From there it varies by platform. Most platforms have a helmet, gloves, and a vest with flotation and survival gear. Each platform is different though. As far as weapons, most carry a pistol, but Marine helo pilots were also carrying an M4 there for awhile. Don't know if that's still true.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Evening all,

So today I was thinking - What exactly makes up a full flight suit. Like, Im assuming its different for every branch and for different platforms. Im looking more Navy of course, but google images didnt really do a breakdown of the different parts. Im assuming other than the actual jumper there is the mask, parachute, and im assuming a sidearm for those F18/EA-6B/F14.

Yeah, according to the search feature, this question has never been asked before...

Can anyone shed some light on their branch's/platform's flight apparel?

Thanks yet again,

First, you don't carry a firearm unless there is a need for it. Second, are you actually asking about flight gear or the flight suit? Everyone in each platform has a minimum flight suit, flight gloves, helmet, survival vest with flotation device, and flight boots. I know we didn't wear a parachute but had one easily accessible. The jet guys also have a G-suit and oxygen mask.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
The F-14 guys...you're going to have to ask an Iranian armed forces aviator, as they are the only ones who can answer that question accurately.

altuc

Thanks all. And I literally mean everything and anything incorporated into a Flight suit, including all flight gear needed.

H6- - That website was incredibly useful, thanks.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This will get ya the minimum required stuff....
Minimum??? I trapped aboard once out of CUBI on the way to the Gulf all suited up in a T-shirt & Bermuda shorts ... it wasn't actually 'planned' that way, it's just the way it turned out.

It was actually quite comfortable ... I was thinkin' about puttin' in a Benny-Suggs for it as 'casual' flight attire ... but after the ass-chewing I got from the BOSS, I ultimately chose discretion as the better part of valor. :)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Minimum??? I trapped aboard once out of CUBI on the way to the Gulf all suited up in a T-shirt & Bermuda shorts ... it wasn't actually 'planned' that way, it's just the way it turned out.

It was actually quite comfortable ... I was thinkin' about puttin' in a Benny-Suggs for it as 'casual' flight attire ... but after the ass-chewing I got from the BOSS, I ultimately chose discretion as the better part of valor. :)

I gotta ask how that happens.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I've only flown two Navy aircraft, but I'll spoonfeed you the quick and dirty on them...because I'm procrastinating.

Common items:
Helmet w/ visor
Flight suit
Gloves
Steel toe flight boots
Aramid thermal underwear (for those really cold days)

Specific to the T-34:
Survival vest with integrated rescue harness

Specific to the T-45:
G-suit
Torso harness
Survival vest with oxygen regulator and oxygen mask

Survival vests usually have the basics in them. Pencil flares, day/night handheld flare, compass, water, shroud cutter, radio, mirror, sea dye marker, flashlight (sometimes two), strobe with blue and IR filters, etc. You can add extra gear, within reason.

Remember that everything I just posted is specific only to the training command.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
In corpus primary, we wore flight suit, boots, gloves, jet style helmet (complete w/ boom mic), and a water survival vest. Parachute harness was already loaded into the aircraft and you just strapped it on.

For jet skool (T-45), we had same flight suit, boots, gloves, helmet (now with an O2 mask). On top of that, we got g-suit, torso harness with koch fittings, and a jet style survival vest (not sure what the specific model was called). Obogs regulator was integrated into the vest, though this vest differed from the ones that the IP's wore (they had minimal stuff compared to us).

Hope that helps

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
The Pilot Side...

Slightly different in FO-school land. We had flight suit, gloves, helmet with O2 mask, G suit, harness with frost fittings (thanks, Air Force.), and that's it. The survival kit was integrated into our seat pan in the event of an ejection. OBOGs regulator was part of the harness, and IPs and students wore the exact same thing.

For T-1s we wore flight suits and wore the gloves for preflight only. Headsets were in the aircraft and didnt come with us. We may as well have pulled an A4s and done it in T-shirts and shorts.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
Is there any reference that explains exactly what each pocket/piece of the flight suit was designed with in mind? Are the pocket designs completely random, or did some actual thought go into each one? For example, the inner thigh pocket with the parachute cord is for a flashlight, right?