• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Parental citizenship as disqualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
My parents are from Holland, so no big threat there neither, furthermore they have lived here in the US as a resident alien for more than 25 years. I am just personnally not convinced that these restrictions on citizenship help with protecting secrets while also allowing good people into the military services. It seems a like a broad disqualifier and I am sure that if the Navy was having problems getting officers like during the Vietnam war that they would start to observe each case more on an individual basis. Hence my statement for supply and demand, at this time they can afford this practice.

sam3x35

well my parents are from the middel east , so i think that would be alot harder for intel in all levels :(

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once again, it isn't supply and demand at work. You are thinking narrowly. The citizenship requierment applies to civilians in federal service as well. As I said in my previous post, the civilian intel agencies are having difficulty because of this requirement. If it were a free market then the civilian agencies would be happy to relax the restriction because the demand is very much present. There is a good reason for the policy. It may not be apparent to all of us, and it may be applied rather broadly, but it is for very good reason based on many years of experience.

sam3x35

iam actulally working on my citizenship , i should here from the INS next year
i lived in the US for almost 6 half years, so this should meet the Citizen hip requirments. i hope i get it though , they take a year to back ground investigate me not only in the US but overseas too. well seee :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks!

wink said:
It isn't supply and demand at work here. It is the security of our nation's secrets. I can't beleieve a recuiter even submitted someone without both parents being citizens. The citizenship requirements are well known. The various experiences mentioned here are also off the mark slightly. All Intel and Crypto officers will have a clearance beyond TS. That is what they are looking forward to. In the case of someone that is getting a TS waiver for parents or spouses, it also matters what country is in question. Canada is no big deal. Syria, China or Cuba is another thing all togather. The requirement for both parents to be citizens has put a strain on the intel services, military and civil, including the FBI. They have pusued middle eastern language speakers and many that have come forward can not get the clearances required. There is a waiver issued if it is an emergency in the "national interest", or some such thing. No applicant for OCS can expect to get that waiver. And if Intel or Crypto is what you want, don't bother with other services, the requirement is the same. Hopefully Supply or maybe SWO will work out down the road.

Wink! Thanks for saying everything I was just getting ready to type. I know this forum is to inform people, but there is so much uninformed BS flying around here and it makes me mad. Thanks for the voice of reason.

For the rest of you with language skills: The majority of interpreters in the Navy are enlisted anyway and intel officers do not get involved in that stuff. Many intel officers do their first tours in aviation squadrons giving briefs to aircrew, preparing products, running the intel shop, and being ***** boys/punching bags for the other JOs. If you're interested in flying, then apply for Pilot/NFO and go that route. They're not going to redirect you into intel because you speak another language, but if you're still worried about it, just don't tell them. They're not mind readers and they can't plug your SSN into their computer and find out interesting details about you unless you've been in trouble with the law. That's why it takes them so long to do the investigation to adjudicate any high level security clearance. Whew!

As always, I'm here to help.

Brett
EA-6B ECMO

sam3x35

thank for the info

i will probably speak to a recuriter soon and take ASTB

i have a quest? are u a pilot.

nile

l7le

Both my parents are naturalized citizens, and I am too. My little brother was born in the US. Does the fact that my parents along with me being naturalized citizens as opposed to being born here disqualify me for intel and crypto?

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Not necessarily. You should check with your recruiter. I've had a situation where I was disqualified for active duty, but not for the reserves because one of my parents is a citizen of another country. If yours are naturalized you probably have a much better chance. Good Luck!!!

LC1977

Same happend to me last year for the same reason...

I submitted my OCS application for Intel and Crypto in March 2004 and was denied for the same reason (At least, what's what I was told by my recruiter...) Tried again in November 2004 for Supply and was selected!!

My guess is that business degree/skills may not be a deciding factor for Supply Corp selection. My degree is in International Relations.

mikeg3

Where could I find the regulation on the parental citizenship issue? I've been looking for a while and I can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.