• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pan Pan

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I'm watching coverage of the Malaysian jet disappearance, and a former DOT head(mary schiavo) brought up that there should have been a Pan - Pan call made.

When was the last time somebody actually uttered that phrase on a freq?

Is this an anachronism, or do people actually use this in distress situations? Curious minds want to know...This kind of seems like nerd knowledge from flight school that would never be used by a military pilot, but is this phrase used in the civilian world?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Yup, it is still used. I've heard it a few times on maritime freq. I'm guessing that the coasties hear it all the time.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Rog. Just have personally never heard it used...but as a Marine helo guy, haven't thought of a situation where that phrase would need to be used. Is it more of a boat thing?

BigRed389

None
Rog. Just have personally never heard it used...but as a Marine helo guy, haven't thought of a situation where that phrase would need to be used. Is it more of a boat thing?

Heard it broadcasted regularly when relevant from Coast Guard stations on maritime B2B.

BigRed389

None
I guess it would be more common for boats than planes, since when shit goes south for things in the air, I'd think things tend to be a lot more catastrophic than they are for boats.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I recall entering an area or two where restricted maneuverability would have been an understatement let alone the limited visibility. PAN PAN PAN was the beginning announcement for a specific ships Intended Movement within those areas. So in 1980's and early 90's the phrase was more versatile than it's face value meaning.

Brunes

pilot
It's more of a SAR thing than a boat thing. Any given day you'll here one or two PAN PAN calls around here for missing boaters or folks in distress.
I'm not sure what RCC would be responsible for this kind if search, so I'm not sure use of a PAN PAN would have been prudent or helpful.