• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P3 vs E6B

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Ladies and Gents,

I just found out I am anthro limited to either P3s or E6Bs because of my sitting height. I am wondering where everyone's opinion on the two communities lie. You know, what is good and bad about either community, your opinions, anything that might be useful.

Also, I know the Navy doesn't make many TACAMO pilots every year, so I'm figuring that I would be more likely to get P3s. Is this a wise guess?

Thanks for the info!

PS - Yes, I used the search function. Most of the info I found was pretty old, so I wanted to get some more current gouge.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The primary difference (besides T/M/S of A/C) will be how, where and what the two communities do on deployment. P-3's deploy about every 18 months for six months to the 5th, 6th and 7th fleet AOR's. The missions are varied but include Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions, Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) missions, Anti-Surface Warfare (ASUW) missions and a few others including Search & Rescue and Aircraft Carrier Strike Group Direct Support missions. You will have the opportunity to train & carry weapons in the P-3 including the AGM-84 series Harpoon and SLAM/ER missile, AGM-65 Maverick missile, MK-46/50/54 series torpedoes, various ASW underwater mines, as well as passive and active sonobuoys which are used in ASW/ASUW missions. Also, once you are fully qualified in your crew position, you will have the opportunity to take a crew and A/C to remote locations from your deployment site as the Mission Commander and Detachment Officer in Charge (OIC) which is a huge plus for a JO in his or her first fleet squadron tour

I'll let an E6B guy/gal chime in on their mission areas.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Good info above...

Don't forget...

e6_tacamo_dih19_375X300.jpg

Equals...

;):D
356px-Seal_of_the_US_Air_Force.svg.png

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Also, I know the Navy doesn't make many TACAMO pilots every year, so I'm figuring that I would be more likely to get P3s. Is this a wise guess?

I knew a guy in primary who was in the same situation you are. He wanted P3's but the community was not taking anybody. He eventually went e6's so don't rule them out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Good info above...

Don't forget...

I know you were joking, and as much as I like to rag on my E6 buddies at work (especially about their "deployments"), but I do have to give them props for being pretty Navy when living in an AF world.

MasterBates

I know you were joking, and as much as I like to rag on my E6 buddies at work (especially about their "deployments"), but I do have to give them props for being pretty Navy when living in an AF world.

That, and they tend to be less SWO-like than the VP guys on average. :eek: :icon_smil

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
If I had to do it all over again, I'd go E6B without question. Every guy I've run into who flew those loves it and loves the community. You'll get more time in the E6B and you'll have a useful type rating (two, actually).

VP is very SWO-like.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A plus I'd think about the E6B community is that the guys who are in it chose to be there. I can't remember ever hearing stories about anyone being "selected" for it. I'd think that'd equate to guys who are a lot happier about flying what they wanted to.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I had to do it all over again, I'd go E6B without question. Every guy I've run into who flew those loves it and loves the community. You'll get more time in the E6B and you'll have a useful type rating (two, actually).

VP is very SWO-like.

The grass is always greener........I came close to going for E-6's after they made a pretty hard sale at Nav school with one of their new planes, but to my eternal relief I did not........:D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I had a chance to go e6....but I thought I'd be dropping a lot of cool ordnance from p-3s..... i dropped a few rockeyes and carried some catms...that's it. I'm real happy I lived on Whidbey, vice Oklahoma, though!!