• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P&W Caught Illegally Selling Military Tech to China

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our XO asked the P&W rep at Tailhook if the mugs he was handing out were going to shatter like the Prowler engines, the P&W rep wasn't that amused but we thought it was pretty funny.
That's fucking awesome! :D I wish I could have seen that.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always thought the J52-P-408 was a solid engine in the Prowler, of course I could be remembering wrong as it's been 20+ years since I've worked on a Prowler.

The P-408 was also a solid engine in the A-4E/F/M as far back as the early '70s, when it was new. Are these follow on problems related to the Prowler, high time engines, sub-standard maint./QA, or what... ? Can't be design after all these years.:confused:
BzB

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a long story, but they've been able to manage the risk, but there were a few years when the community didn't have a lot of confidence in the engines. One of the engine bearings was failing, causing catastrophic failure.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
It's a long story, but they've been able to manage the risk, but there were a few years when the community didn't have a lot of confidence in the engines. One of the engine bearings was failing, causing catastrophic failure.

Was this circa 2004-2005 timeframe? I remember being an eager mid flying with a Prowler LT who was lamenting that he "had almost as many single engine traps as regular ones" after something of a rough deployment.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was this circa 2004-2005 timeframe? I remember being an eager mid flying with a Prowler LT who was lamenting that he "had almost as many single engine traps as regular ones" after something of a rough deployment.
These malfunctions didn't result in single engine traps, they resulted in ejections - four or five in total, if I recall. First one was late 2001, last one was 4-5 years back.