• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 overshoots runway in K-Bay

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
What's this about a Jax pax?

A ways back a contract 737 flying into Navy Jax couldn’t get in to the main runway in shit weather so decided to take a tailwind on the wet, short runway and ran the plane into the river instead of Jax international.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A ways back a contract 737 flying into Navy Jax couldn’t get in to the main runway in shit weather so decided to take a tailwind on the wet, short runway and ran the plane into the river instead of Jax international.

Eh? Really? The plane was lined up with 10/28 (or 9/27 at the time) when it was sitting in the water. I don't remember the Base OpsO saying they made the attempt to the short runway at the monthly meetings. Plus they'd have to circle to it since there's no approach to it.

If I'm mistaken, than that makes the story even worse.

BT...

Looking at the picture of the K-Bay bird, I realized I never landed on 22. Lots of PARs, but never actually touched down that direction. It's funny how you can build an airport and only ever use one of the two runways.

Mos

None
Eh? Really? The plane was lined up with 10/28 (or 9/27 at the time) when it was sitting in the water. I don't remember the Base OpsO saying they made the attempt to the short runway at the monthly meetings. Plus they'd have to circle to it since there's no approach to it.
It was rwy 10. The runway discussion prior to landing was whether to land on 10 or 28. Same runway, but 10 has a displaced threshold.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looking at the picture of the K-Bay bird, I realized I never landed on 22. Lots of PARs, but never actually touched down that direction. It's funny how you can build an airport and only ever use one of the two runways.
We have an RNAV Visual procedure to Rwy 4, but it’s not published (anymore) in FLIP. It’s pretty trippy since it requires an RF leg and a less than standard RNP value… while maintaining a visual. Apparently the VR guys wanted an RNAV Visual similar to what they get with their airline’s special IAPs.

I don’t think (but don’t know) that TERPS can design a procedure with obstacle clearance to Rwy 4.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Curious about takes on how they extract the jet. Super shallow area, so a barge based crane may not cut it, if they even have that capability on Oahu. Wondering what other salvage techniques are available. Runway is NOTAM'd closed until 08DEC23, and that is our primary logistical and medical hub. Considering shifting to John Rogers/Kalaeloa in the interim.

This whole thing reminds me of a mishap that I heard about when I first got to my first VP squadron in JAX circa 1990. There had been a RWY construction project at KNIP in the late 80s where they had removed the first few hundred feet of runway 27 concrete, displaced threshold, etc. A west coast P-3 made an approach and touched down short of the construction, damaging both main mounts, and eventually doing a gear up landing on the long RWY at Cecil. Anyone else heard that story?

exNavyOffRec

Curious about takes on how they extract the jet. Super shallow area, so a barge based crane may not cut it, if they even have that capability on Oahu. Wondering what other salvage techniques are available. Runway is NOTAM'd closed until 08DEC23, and that is our primary logistical and medical hub. Considering shifting to John Rogers/Kalaeloa in the interim.

This whole thing reminds me of a mishap that I heard about when I first got to my first VP squadron in JAX circa 1990. There had been a RWY construction project at KNIP in the late 80s where they had removed the first few hundred feet of runway 27 concrete, displaced threshold, etc. A west coast P-3 made an approach and touched down short of the construction, damaging both main mounts, and eventually doing a gear up landing on the long RWY at Cecil. Anyone else heard that story?
I wonder if it would be feasible or safe to put those float bags under the aircraft, then pull it out to a depth where a crane could lift it out. There were a few news articles where the locals are very concerned about the coral in the area so I am sure whatever is done will be scrutinized to make sure no damage is done to the environment.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don’t think (but don’t know) that TERPS can design a procedure with obstacle clearance to Rwy 4.

There is the H3 tunnel. Can't we just expand it and TERP through it?

I think I remember seeing the C-20s flying the visual route, which was essentially a higher version of the helo course rules. I do wonder how that visual approach would be "better" than just circling to the to the downwind when coming off the approach for 22.

I did have to come in there one time on what I guess you could consider was a contact (-ish) approach that was only really possible because I knew the bay really well from both flying over it, but also boating in it. The viz was more windshield induced (HEAVY rain with wipers that always suck), as the crewmen said they could see out the open door and see the coast line fine. But up front, it was a, "There's the buoy....there's Chinaman's Hat.................................uhm.......okay, there's the Sand Bar...there's the turtle home...and there's the runway.

Runway is NOTAM'd closed until 08DEC23, and that is our primary logistical and medical hub. Considering shifting to John Rogers/Kalaeloa in the interim.

I'm curious, for medical at K-Bay, would you try and coordinate with -37 for a trip over to Trippler if it was that urgent/acute? Or just plan to take a ride over the hill and through the tunnel in an ambulance?