• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 career advice -shore tours, sea tours, & more (oh my!)

SaturdaysR4theBuoys

Tube rat wrangler
pilot
Sounds like you're done with Navy flying. I get that. If you're clear eyed about not making O4 and 20 with that desire, it's all good. I'd ignore everyone here suggesting you apply for random programs like FAO/Olmstead/TPS(??)/PEP/whatever or take VT orders to stay competitive. You might take an MP FITREP, but again, if you're clear eyed about having to go to the boat, get out, and use your GI Bill, so what?

On your shore tour, I don't know how VP is doing them now, but if you're opting out of the flying side, you should have more options as you're competing for things not many people want. Pilots are like crack babies and all we want is flying orders. Being different may open doors. Off the top of my head I know of NATO Allied MARCOM outside London, SNMG-1 and 2 in Europe, and STRIKEFORNATO in Lisbon. I'm sure there are others, but it's a small pool and might not have a bunch of spots for 13xx types (may be SWO/SUB/etc billets)

I'm guessing that's going to start with a conversation with the XO as @DanMa1156 mentioned, probably a year out from your PRD. Ideally you're seen as a contributor and they'll do what they can to help. Again, you might soak up an MP (FITREPs are about promotability as much as performance, and you're telling them you don't want to promote on the community's valued tours, right or wrong).

As far as the Reserves, if you have a pulse, they'll take you for non-flying. Plenty of NATO staffs that always need bodies. Just know you might have to mobilize (think 180/270/365 in someplace sandy) at some point. My first unit was actually support for NS Rota, so 2 weeks of "training" out there if I had stayed with them.
I have a friend who did the MARCOM tour and he loved it. Plenty of time to get an education and develop as a person. Apparently there is an aviation equivalent as well and that sounds like a good gig to me. Not sure if it helps knowing people there but I cant imagine it'd hurt.