• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3 JO Retention

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the info, it seems like pretty common sense stuff and is something I'll get a feel for when I'm in the climate. Zab, is that from personal experience?

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
This is what I'm most curious about. The belittling of superiors and avoiding the "mentality" seem like really hazy areas. This is the community I'll be going into and I want to make the most of it but I don't know what my boundaries are. I'm just starting advanced so obviously I've got some time before I reach an actual squadron, but I don't want to be behind the "game."

What I was referring to was after you've BTDT for a bit. Of course if you're the FNG and pull that shit you will get shat upon. Your senior JO's will keep you inline and follow that example. I thought it was common sense to keep your piehole shut until your first stellar board, but apparently common sense is the exception these days and not the rule... Don't sweat it man, just have fun and enjoy no responsibility for your first 8-10 months...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the info, it seems like pretty common sense stuff and is something I'll get a feel for when I'm in the climate. Zab, is that from personal experience?

what, the story? Yeah I watched that go down. Don't do that.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Rest assured, a variety of "interesting" ground jobs are being created to fill the fitrep void. As stated before, it's going to be a tough tour.Just an outside observation; the squadron CO's seem more like DH's now since the Wing owns the assets and parlays them out as they see fit.
It's lousy at Jax, only a few planes, half bounce birds, half "mission" birds. Problem is, with CMO you've detached even further any local control over grooming of a mission bird. So, you've got a USW mission and CMO says your bird is up, but it's not really. The acoustic suite works, but your radar is marginal and your comm gear is down, but according to CMO maint cntrl, the bird is PMC and good for USW.
You folks have a tough road to hoe, but it'll get better in a few years, after you're gone.
But what do I know, I'm a kool-aid drinkin' hinge in P-cola.:sleep_125

But...

On the plus side you won't have CO's being graded with maintenance performance as the biggest metric. I always hated that aspect of the air wing - taking sub standard (meaning I'll get it off the flight deck but it won't really be useful for a mission) aircraft flying just so you can meet your sortie completion rate and look better than your sister squadron.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Interesting thread . . . .

Hozer and some "others" have scribed some pearls that are definitely worth listening to. Here's my .02c - I am where I am today (approaching 27 years in August) because of guys like Hozer and many, many others. Airplanes come and go, communities "change," but the politics and bureaucracy always remain the same. Why I am I still hangin' around? Simple, the very best folks I have ever known Fly Navy. In some ways, I hope it never ends.

I know, I know, the kool-aid tastes awesome :)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
what, the story? Yeah I watched that go down. Don't do that.

Seems like it wouldn't be the best way to "introduce" myself. It was probably like a train wreck; terrible to see but you couldn't look away. More or less the advice in general is don't be a jackass, which I think I can handle. Thanks for the info everyone.

MiG15

pilot
None
THE best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut for the first 6-8 months. Resist the temptation to add your two cents. No matter how much you think you know....you dont. Just do your work quietly and absorb EVERYTHING. When you finally do have some experience and something valuable to add people will listen.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
THE best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut for the first 6-8 months.......

Or ... you could win the station monthly bombing competition the first month in the squadron. That was the route that I took ... the path less traveled?? :)

MiG15

pilot
None
The running joke in my last P-3 type squadron was about how no JO's were going to stay in. We seriously estimated that about 10% would stay based on our unofficial verbal survey. The guys staying were mostly priors with too much time in to get out now.

I personally know 5 NFO's that volunteered for IA's just to get out of the squadron:eek:. Now if that isn't an indication of the current climate, I dont know what is?

MiG15

pilot
None
Or ... you could win the station monthly bombing competition the first month in the squadron. That was the route that I took ... the path less traveled?? :)

True......but the P-3 version would be to win the crypto box unlocking contest.:D Gotta have goals!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The running joke in my last P-3 type squadron was about how no JO's were going to stay in. We seriously estimated that about 10% would stay based on our unofficial verbal survey. The guys staying were mostly priors with too much time in to get out now.

I personally know 5 NFO's that volunteered for IA's just to get out of the squadron:eek:. Now if that isn't an indication of the current climate, I dont know what is?

I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. Don't judge retention rates off of what first tour JOs say. Things change by the time they're half-way through their second tour (wife, kids, mortgage, bonus). I have noticed that more VP guys end up leaving than other communities, but I'd guess it's not by much. There's also many other opportunities to stay in and not go back to your vanilla community, all it takes is some research and initiative.

MasterBates

Yep.. If anyone wants to community jump, just ask me. There are a couple lurkers on here who have done the jump as well.