• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3 finds a sub

robav8r

None
Contributor
it was later determined to be a Golf I or a possible converted Zulu class ... we were never really sure 'cause both were supposed to be in the area .... :)

Jesus Christ A4's you ARE an old son-of-a-bitch !!! I can STILL remember the acoustic parameters of a "Golf I and a Zulu" from AW A-School. I also remember an old statistic that A-7's held for quite some time in the 70's & 80's: the most initial detects and contact time of any non-ASW platform.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
interesting looking sub

and just for larbear.. this article calls it at 1210 pounds which is about 548 total kilos

http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMVII/2007aug00226.html

Based on what I know about prices (theres some rotten apples somewhere in the family), I'm with gator on a slight over exaggeration even pulling a high $40,000 per uncut kilo thats ~$22 million..., and cut at $100/oz its like $55 million put in a purity factor, and I think the coasties are a bit off their rockers still....... I can say with reasonable certainty that sub/boat was not worth another $300 mil

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So for the drug-unsavvy, what do they do with all this coke? Put it on a boat, drive a few miles offshore and push it overboard, or....?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
It says in the last article that they scuttled the vessel along with all the cocaine... so how did they seize all that coke?

fudog50

CDU Orions

The A/C in question is in fact a orion variant called "Blue Dome" or just P-3AEW&C.

One big difference is the terlit. It has real blue flushing water rather than just the honey bucket! :)

In 1994, we had a "CDU" bird, (counter drug ops). Our Skipper had just come from the program at PAX, and he scored the first west coast CDU bird in VP-40. 161130 if I remember correctly. It had APG-63 and none of us Avionics types had a clue how to maintain it. We had to get some Air Force techs at Kadena to help us out on one occassion when it wasn't cooperating.

Thats about all anyone is cleared in here to hear about what else it had on it. In fact the regular VP crew wasn't even cleared to fly the missions it was supposed to fly? Go figure. The workaround was to close the curtains at the operators stations.

I believe there were other "CDU" birds at the time, not sure whatever happened to them. Maybe they are the "slicks" mentioned or they got reconfigured as normal Orions, or maybe they are all at the boneyard by now, anybody know?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The A/C in question is in fact a orion variant called "Blue Dome" or just P-3AEW&C.

One big difference is the terlit. It has real blue flushing water rather than just the honey bucket! :)

In 1994, we had a "CDU" bird, (counter drug ops). Our Skipper had just come from the program at PAX, and he scored the first west coast CDU bird in VP-40. 161130 if I remember correctly. It had APG-63 and none of us Avionics types had a clue how to maintain it. We had to get some Air Force techs at Kadena to help us out on one occassion when it wasn't cooperating.

Thats about all anyone is cleared in here to hear about what else it had on it. In fact the regular VP crew wasn't even cleared to fly the missions it was supposed to fly? Go figure. The workaround was to close the curtains at the operators stations.

I believe there were other "CDU" birds at the time, not sure whatever happened to them. Maybe they are the "slicks" mentioned or they got reconfigured as normal Orions, or maybe they are all at the boneyard by now, anybody know?

We had CDU birds on my last VP deployment (CD Ops in Central America) during that timeframe. Same stuff, nothing particularly classified about it though. Find non-squawkers & pass contacts to LE folks for intercept.

Brett

Lawman

None
So for the drug-unsavvy, what do they do with all this coke? Put it on a boat, drive a few miles offshore and push it overboard, or....?

Hopefully give it all to the guys from Motley Crew and let them finally F'ing kill themselves.

To answer your question though yes water is about the only way to effectively and easily destroy cocain.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Hey, I like Motley Crue. They'd probably load it onto smaller boats and run them ashore then send it out for distribution.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Hopefully give it all to the guys from Motley Crew and let them finally F'ing kill themselves.

To answer your question though yes water is about the only way to effectively and easily destroy cocain.

So not only does the Navy melt whale brains, it's trying to addict sealife to coke.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

To make a distinction, there are Customs P-3's and USN P-3's that are deployed in the counter-drug effort down south. The Navy still has a few of the CDU birds and they are used by the guys down south.

Customs has its own fleet of P-3's, and as referenced earlier they have two versions nicknamed 'Domes' and 'Slicks'. The Domes have the pretty obvious job of wide area search using the E-2 radar they have in the back. The Slicks look a regular P-3 (though with a better paint job ;)) and are used for like the P-3 CDU birds. There is a decent overview of the Customs birds on the P-3 Orion Research Group website.

Customs about 2/3's down the page:

http://home.wxs.nl/~p3orion/operators.html

After reading the above link ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why is Customs buying or rather getting perhaps from the Navy the "A" version? Doesn't the Navy fly a newer version than that? Is there some advantage to them getting the older style rather than the newer or is it a matter of cost.

Anyone know?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After reading the above link ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why is Customs buying or rather getting perhaps from the Navy the "A" version? Doesn't the Navy fly a newer version than that? Is there some advantage to them getting the older style rather than the newer or is it a matter of cost.

Anyone know?

Surplus birds are a lot cheaper than new ones, and the P-3A's were just sitting in the desert. Customs has done plenty to update them in the meantime.

I still don't see even using the logic below how they are getting the $352 million number but here is how street value is determined according to the DEA.

Street Value

When illegal drugs are seized by police or a drug law-enforcement agency, the officers or agents determine the street value of the drugs. Street value is the total income that drug traffickers would make if each gram were sold at the price currently being offered on the street. The street value then determines the significance of the seizure. In other words, a major drug seizure is one that has a very high street value.
However, the street value of drugs that have been seized is not always equal to the actual amount of income drug traffickers have lost. This is because the price of drugs rises sharply as they move down the distribution chain from the point of entry into the country. The following example shows how street value can be calculated:
  • When cocaine comes into the United States, it could be sold at a pure-gram price of about $20 per gram. A 100-kilogram unit contains 100,000 pure grams—thus its costs (to the drug trafficker) could represent $2 million. In 2001 a gram of cocaine could sell on the streets directly to cocaine users for about $100. One gram equals 1,000 milligrams. Of these 1,000 milligrams of cocaine sold on the streets, about 250 milligrams are "filler" substances. In other words, only 750 milligrams are actually pure cocaine. The price of a true "pure gram" of cocaine—1,000 milligrams of pure cocaine with no filler added—would be $133.
  • 100 kilograms of cocaine, then, has a street value of $133 times 100,000 grams. In other words, the street value of 100 kilo- grams of cocaine equals $13.3 million, more than six times as much as its initial cost ($2 million).
So by the math above unless I missed something.

1 bale at 500lbs = 227 kilos

11 bales = 2497 kilos total

2497 / 100 to find 100 kilo packages = 13.3million

24.97 (100 kilo packages) * 13.3 million = $332,101,000.00

Math look right to everyone ?? :confused: