• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Overprotective parents etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorpwarp

pro-rec'd snfo
so I took the ASTB yesterday and got 9/9/9/69 and my recruiter said I could probably get into whatever program I want (no guarantees of course). I want NFO/Intel, but I told my mom and asked my advisor/professor/ex-employer for a rec, and while the prof said he would write a good rec, both he and my mom have both spent so much energy trying to talk me out of doing this. Thing is, I've thought about it and I really want to do this - Has anyone else run into this? What can I say to make them bug off but still like me?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
If this is what you want to do, that is it. Most career academics that you will find (professor's) are quite liberal and do not always veiw the military as a good career choice.
As far as your parents are concerned, most are initially a little hesitant about their child going into military service, especially when they see on the news every day that another soldier has died. Mine still worry about that part, but it is part of the job we all knew about before signing up.
Don't let other's make choices for you, if this is really something that you want to do, take their counsel and say thank you but let them know that this is something that you want to do with "YOUR" life.
You will probably be surprised when they start supporting you after the initial shock.

gnorman911

Everyone against your decision is a hard thing, I had to deal with two parents that didn't want me to go in to Navy, even with my dad as a former officer. Also, my fiance made me decide between her and the Navy. I made my choice, and while I may of lost the girl, my parents and the ex completely support my decision now. But that was only after I got my final accept, they take time to come around, but in the end I think parents understand that we hear the calling to serve, and we must answer it. Good luck with your application.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
These guys said it all. Your prof and mom have lived their lives, you need to follow your own path. Because in the end, you'll only regret not doing what YOU wanted just because you wanted to please others. Don't worry about your mom, they're all scared at first, but she will come around. Count on it.

snizo

Supply Officer
Moms worry. Thats what they do. She will come around and support your decision if she understands it is really what you want to do (and after some time).

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I had a teacher(close family friend) who I would've loved to write a rec. for me, and he would've too if I asked him although he's tried everything in his power to persuade me not to go ahead with the Marines. Becuase of that I chose not to ask him for one just because I didn't want any part of his views against my career decision leaking into the letter subconciously. Just a thought..maybe I'm paranoid, but I figured better safe than sorry.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"this seatbelt doesn't work, what do you recommend I do?"

"it's the back seat...." (fill in the rest)

live YOUR life

Alex Fowler

Wild, FWIW when I applied for NROTC one of my recs was from one of my English teachers who was a Marine grunt in Vietnam and later went on to be one of the founding members of Veterans Against the War. Needless to say, he was against the idea of my joining the military but still agreed to write the letter--and I got the scholarship, so he couldn't have done too bad a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.