• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Other platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused_pilot

Ok, so I know most of us would like to be going mach2 hair on fire, ect ect. But this question relates to some other options that might be availible. I know the navy owns some Gulfstream IV's, and I am sure they have a learjet or two in the back pocket, as well as a 727, so how does someone end up flying any of those?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Learjets are called C-20s in the Navy. USN also flies 737s, DC9s, and a few P-3A's for transport purposes. With the exception of the P-3s, all of these jobs are piloted by either reservists or TAR personnel. The reservists are guys from other fleet platforms who applied for and were accepted into those units for their reserve commitment. Each reserve squadron has something like 6 TAR officers as well. Since a reserve unit isnt manned full-time by all of its personnel, the TAR (Training and Administration of Reserves) folks are full time with the squadron. They are similar to active duty, but are considered part of the reserve component.

Bottom line, don't even think about flying something non-tactical until AFTER your initial contract is up and you've done your time with the warfighting fleet. Those platforms aren't even an option as a selection choice after primary.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And then there is always the pain of trying to get INTO those jobs, especially right now when no one is getting out, and ANY flying job is at a premium...

confused_pilot

hey im just wondering for the future.. I am quite content with my c-172 and 6 middies in IFS right now, but I have to get commisioned eventually.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, its good that you are thinking ahead and asking questions, better to be informed.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So out of all the aircraft in the USN inventory (see www.navy.mil factfile) which ones are selectable straight out of training?

To my knowledge the list includes the following:

E-2/C-2
C-130 (is listed as used by USN but I thought it was just for the Marines. What gives?)
EA-6B
F-14D - D only version in use?
F-18C/D/E/F - previous versions are not in service anymore? USN uses each of C/D/E/F?
P-3
HH/UH-1N
CH-46
MH-53
SH-60
H-3?

There's several other aircraft listed on the www.navy.mil site, but I'm guessing that they aren't selectable right out of flight school? Anybody know what's up? Just trying to be informed.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
C-130s for USN are NOT an option. The Navy does have one reserve squadron (out of NAS New Orleans I think) of C-130s. Interestingly, these pilots come from all communities.

If you select P-3s, you go to Advanced and select P-3 or EP-3 when you get winged.

Hueys are not an option for helo guys. They do still have H-3s out of Norfolk, VA.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by zab1000
C-130s for USN are NOT an option. The Navy does have one reserve squadron (out of NAS New Orleans I think) of C-130s. Interestingly, these pilots come from all communities.

The Navy used to fly the C-130 with VXE-6 and flew EC-130's as well. You're right, they are not available anymore except through TAR/Reserves. There are at least 4 C-130 squadrons in the Naval reserves, maybe 5. I tried to go TAR but with everyone staying in, my seniority hurt my chances and was never selected.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Aren't HH-1s still doing station SAR at NAS Corpus Christi, and NAS Fallon? Not an option for selection, but a second tour option, albeit not career-enhancing.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Webmaster, can you shed any more light on:

"especially right now when no one is getting out, and ANY flying job is at a premium..." statement.

I have heard this being tossed around and spoken of in several places but have never seen any hard numbers to define it. Does it mean fewer SNAs, fewer first shore tour flying jobs in training commands, more back-to-back sea tours just so you can keep flying, ect?

confused_pilot

so I have heard airlines are calling people back, maybe some senior pilots like wink can shed some light on this? shouldn't number start coming back to normal soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.