• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
Now that Marine Studs are selecting Osprey's, I have a question. What kind of flight time do you get for Osprey's? Is it counted as fixed wing or helo time?

makoslim

Air candidate 188
I have no idea what the answer is to your question regarding what the Osprey will be considered, but I do know that it is going to be taking the job of our aging helicopters, so my guess is that it will be considered rotary. Id would like to hear what they are considering it. (another reason I would think it will be under rotary, is because I was talking to a buddy of mine at captain school at Quantico who said that they are taking guys who trained for the 53D.)

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
my (limited) understanding is the FAA is recognizing tilt rotor as "Powered Lift", not as an Airplane or Helo

S/F

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
oh, forgot ... for you super-motivators out there, check out MARADMIN 350/04, good gouge on how to, uh, transition to the Osprey

here's the "carrot" for the fixed wing fellas ...

"4. TO ENCOURAGE FIXED-WING APPLICATIONS, THE FOLLOWING INCENTIVES RE INCLUDED: VOLUNTEERS SELECTED WILL RECEIVE ORDERS THAT SPECIFY A THREE-YEAR TOUR IN THE MV-22; RETENTION OF FIXED-WING BONUS (IF APPLICABLE); RETENTION OF PRIMARY FIXED-WING MOS DURING INITIAL TOUR IF DESIRED; AND EVENTUAL FOLLOW-ON DIFOP ORDERS TO CHOSEN COMMUNITY. FIXED-WING APPLICANTS SELECTED FOR TRANSITION WILL BE ALLOWED TO DEFER PERMANENT AVIATION COMMUNITY SELECTION (MV-22 OR PREVIOUS FIXED-WING COMMUNITY) UNTIL COMPLETION OF THREE YEARS IN THE MV-22."

no thanks ...

S/F

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don’t put much stock in where the pilots are coming from. Most are coming from rotary wing, just because it is going to replace the CH-46 and 53D. And for those doubters, we have about twice as many applicants as slots for the next board. We also have a few Harrier and F-18 guys here, with more coming.

In your logbook, it just says MV-22 and how many hours. As far as translating that into civilian time, the FAA has to come up with that. The V-22 is, however, an airplane that flies like a helo, not a helo that flies like a f/w. Our squadrons will be VMMs, not HMMs. The syllabus for boot pilots will accordingly be heavier in multiengine prop than in helo. There is some inconsistency in some regards, such as the fact that we are r/w in the bonus msg. That’s to be expected, since no one knows how to treat us.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Phrog ...

yea, i suppose i'm one of thse doubters, but i'm also not totally informed about the Osprey. it's a great concept & i hope it works out because it'll change tactics.

as for the flight time ... if the Osprey falls under the "Powered Lift" aircraft category, according to the FAA, wouldn't that be what would be logged, i.e. Osprey flighttime counts toward "Powered Lift" time and not toward Airplane or Helo time? again, i'm not smart to this, just what i gathered from second hand word & trying to understand FAR 61.5.

S/F

muc1

As a ground candidate I have a question about the Osprey...

What are the changes to the software / training / or design that has eliminated (?) the problems they were having? I seem to recall several accidents around 1999 (?) that killed several marines including one of their top test pilots. I heard something about bad maintenance logs... But was that it? Is the design ready for full production yet?

Sorry for the uneducated questions...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't want to get sidetracked on the whole Osprey debate again, so the short answer is that the causes of those mishaps have been fixed. The Arizona crash was caused by unequal lift from vortex ring state due to an excessive rate of descent. One, they've developed recovery techniques. Two, there's now a warning voice in the cockpit for excessive sink rate. The other recent crash had a root cause of a hydraulic leak, as well as some software issues, and insufficient NATOPS guidance. Those problems have been fixed--that's why the Osprey didn't fly for a long time. They made huge changes in the wiring and hydro.

This thing is going to have a full-rate production decision by the middle of next year, so it had better be ready. I think it is.

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
So....If someone selects Osprey's and decides to go to the airlines in eight years. What does the time count as?

KBayDog

Greaper007 said:
So....If someone selects Osprey's and decides to go to the airlines in eight years. What does the time count as?

It counts for "Don't put the cart before the horse, Devil Dog..."

Status
Not open for further replies.