• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OSO Question

stryker85

Hey all,

I'm ready to start the application process with my local OSO but I had a question. I'm pretty well qualified for applying except for my fitness level. I can currently do 65 sit-ups, run in 26, and only 3 pull-ups. I guess my question is... should I wait until I'm more physically qualified before contacting my OSO? From what I've read, it seems the general consensus is APPLY EARLY AND OFTEN, but I just dont want to go in there and have him/her start laughing at me i guess. I'm willing to PUSH hard, its just im not there yet. (applying for OCC-AIR).

Thanks for your thoughts

Lawman

None
They arent gonna send your package till you can pass the PFT so dont worry about you being sent in with your current scores. Right now its a good idea to contact your local OSO and start the process. Why?

1. There is a crap load of paperwork to be done in this process. It takes a while especially dependent on the workload your OSO and OSA are already under.

2. While you may be showing up with a crappy score if you demonstrate that you are drivin to get that up and make good headway when your OSO writes your eval of you it will probably be reflected that you are a goal driven individual. **Worked for me and Slammer both**

Carno

Insane
I'd say contact him right away. Like Lawman said, you'll get a start on the paperwork, and also your OSO will be able to help you with PT.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong Pullup Program.htm

This is a really solid program to improve your pullup performance. I used it, and in a little over two months went from 8 pullups to 20. (And from 200 something PFT to a 285...) It works as advertised or better. As far as crunches go...do as many as you can, a couple times a day...don't make them rocket science.

I won't give any run advice...because..well...I'm slow...:D

stryker85

Thanks for the help guys! Can anyone working with the Orange County OSO send me a PM? I have some questions.

Thanks!

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Obligatory warning from me each time this comes up: Do not overtrain and injure yourself, especially your legs. If your run time is like mine was, and it is, there is pressure to shave minutes off very quickly. Don't force it. Train at a reasonable level without hurting yourself. Stress fractures suck.

I'm supposed to be graduating from OCS in 8 days now. Instead, I'm home with stress fractures, unable to run at all for a few months because I trained improperly before I went up. Don't be like me. :)

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Makev sure that you don't neglect other physical stuff like pushups etc etc.

Thats one thing I did... I got so wrapped up in doing tons of pullups I neglected other body parts.

youearnedit

my run was at 27 6 months ago and now I'm at 21:29. Your crunches will go up over night and your pull ups, at least one per week. So bust it out and call your OSO right now to get all the 'but-load' of paperwork started. remember that there are tons of disqualifying factors so see if you even have a shot before you get your pft down. good luck.