• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orthotics for Running

Fetter

Hey guys I know endorsements can seem like shady promotions on forums, but I have been using the same brand of store bought orthotics for a few years know and they are awesome! Superfeet! that is the brand name. They are only $30, and they last at least six months to a year, they are washable, an most importantly they are not "Gellin"

If you find their website you will see what sets them apart from other really cheap orthotics.

I have used those in my boots for work, they held up well.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
I have seen Superfeet in stores, but never really took a look at them. Do they have different models or types that are better for motion control, ie. pronating? I know I need to get some new shoes before OCS, because I pronate a little too much, but I'm wondering if these would help as well.

euclid83

FS SNA
The answer is pretty simple bro. If your having nagging running injuries, such as shin splints, heel spurs, or back pain, then you might be due for new orthotics. But you should also consider the age of your shoes. Im a pretty avid runner and never put more that 500 miles on a pair of running shoes. After that the sole becomes worn out and you are more prone to running injuries.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
No, I don't have any of that, my I've been pretty much injury free, but from running before, and a look at the way I stand, I can see that more pronation control would help. My shoes are a month old, I just don't think I got the best ones.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have seen Superfeet in stores, but never really took a look at them. Do they have different models or types that are better for motion control, ie. pronating? I know I need to get some new shoes before OCS, because I pronate a little too much, but I'm wondering if these would help as well.
I pronate and use the green ones with motion control shoes. I have noticed that they need to be replaced every 1-2 years; I started getting pretty bad shin splints and had to stop running for awhile to heal up. New ones seem to have solved that problem. Of course, due to medical issues, I was on again/off again from running in that time period, so that probably didn't help either.

euclid83

FS SNA
No, I don't have any of that, my I've been pretty much injury free, but from running before, and a look at the way I stand, I can see that more pronation control would help. My shoes are a month old, I just don't think I got the best ones.

I know its too late now, but for your next pair of shoes you should definately think about going to a specialty running store. They are professionals who can determine your running style and point out any problems with your stride. From checking out your running mechanics they can recommend a good shoe designed to make your stride more efficient. It takes a while and you might get frustrated trying on all of the shoes but it doesnt cost extra and its totally worth it. Last time I went I probably tried on 30 pairs of shoes but have had zero running injuries since. And plus, by being fitted for shoes you aren't stuck with just one brand of shoe that your orthotics were molded for.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
OK, here's what ended up going down.

I saw the flight doc about a month ago. He checked me out, took some x-rays, the usual. He said he noticed some thickening in the hard portion of my tibia, and that this was a telltale sign of impending stress fracture. He told me to not run for 2 weeks, and put in a referral for orthotics.

I cross trained regularly. Rode the spinning bike (fast, light load) and did some time on the erg and in the pool to stay in shape. Everything feels good now---I'm going to try running tomorrow at A-pool PT.

The referral process was a little annoying. The doc said it would take 48 hours for the referral to go through---it took over two weeks. I had to call central appointments and tricare to get things sorted out. Went to the orthotics place out in town and they took imprints of both feet. The new orthotics will arrive in 3 weeks.

I asked about the rigid versus semi-rigid vs flexible orthotics. For distance running, you want something that is pretty rigid to maintain your arch. The more agility based your sport is (football, basketball, etc) where you have lots of lateral movement, the more flexible you want your orthotics to be. My new ones will be made out of hard plastic from heel to arch, and foam at the forefoot. The whole orthotic is covered in foam so it's easy on the foot. My old ones were the same way, and were very comfortable.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Plan on the referral process taking at least a week. It's kind of a pain...but the orthotics are free!