• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orthokeratology?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
What do you guys know about Orthokeratology? I think I still fall within 20/40, but it seems like a good way to slip one past the eye doctor? But then I heard they can tell if you have been doing it with a slit lamp examination?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do you guys know about Orthokeratology? I think I still fall within 20/40, but it seems like a good way to slip one past the eye doctor? But then I heard they can tell if you have been doing it with a slit lamp examination?

You think you're the first joker to think of this? I guarantee the docs at NOMI are smarter than you WRT this kind of thing.

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just to clarify (too lazy to google). Is Orthokeratology the deal where you wear cornea-shaping contact lenses, which over time correct your eyes?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
When they map your corneas at NAMI they'll be able to tell. Take the high road or they're likely to tell you to hit the road.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Well, my guess would be not to bother with it. If you're within standards, you're within standards. If not, and you're dead set on pilot vice NFO, opt for the PRK. If you're good w/ NFO, then it's a non-issue. Whatever you choose, if you opt to pull a fast one then you're likely to get a one-way ticket to the front gate and a "Thanks for playing." Accession numbers are tight enough these days with no shortage of completely qualified candidates that any attempt at tricking the system would be viewed with extreme displeasure. You're auditioning for our job. If you can't be up front about the simple things, why should we consider talking to you about it at all? Do the right thing.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I really need to check if I still fall within 20/40 or not. Having your head in the books all day really doesn't help.

But I thought they only gave out PRK waivers depending on how they feel that month?...or stopped all together??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really need to check if I still fall within 20/40 or not. Having your head in the books all day really doesn't help.

But I thought they only gave out PRK waivers depending on how they feel that month?...or stopped all together??

You really think that's how it's done? You need to do a little more research on your potential new career.

Brett

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Well, I didn't think I had to worry about my eyes until recently. My buddy got an NA slot last year with some sort of waiver for contacts(?), broke his foot in OCS, and when he reapplied he couldn't get the same waiver because they killed it off.

Guess I will call the OSO and ask him what the deal is with PRK.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When they map your corneas at NAMI they'll be able to tell. Take the high road or they're likely to tell you to hit the road.

I know from personal experience about the cornea mapping..........No, I did not try and skate by but I did have problems with my contacts fitting and they mapped my corneas and showed me the results..........looked really interesting........;)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got the cornea mapping too @ NOMI. PRK wasn't allowed back then and I think they did it to verify folks weren't trying to pull a fast one on them.

SMILE4BULLETS

the brains at NOMI have seen everything. they checked out my eyes and were convinced i'd had some sort of corrective surgery. the onslaught of eye exams that continued were ridiculous. in the end, they concluded that they were wrong. but, had i actually had corrective eye surgery and lied about it, im pretty sure they would have busted me.