• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ortho-K (and other questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sifu dinan

Little backstory on me before I start asking questions. As I'm sure is the case with many of you, it's been my dream to fly for a very long time. Unfortunatly life has thrown me a slew of obstacles that kept me from going NROTC right out of high school. I'm 22 and until I'm told that I simply won't be allowed to fly I'm going to keep trying to reach that goal.

My vision is quite poor. Myopia at around -6 in each eye, maybe a bit more in the left, and slight astigmatism. I understand that I can get PRK before signing up and as long as it's successful and I keep good documents then I shouldn't have to worry about qualifying for the waiver (although I'm afraid that weaker left eye might prevent it....but if it puts me down to 20/20 do they really care what my vision was before?).

I'm wondering, however, what the policy is on Ortho-K. I've been told a variety of conflicting reports so I came here hoping to get answers from people who know. Yes, I've spoken to recruiters but the majority of them don't even know what a PRK waiver is, they're still under the impression that it's 20/20 or nothing. :rolleyes: I haven't been able to get much of a straight answer out of anyone.

Also, I pointed out that I'm 22...I currently live in Illinois working as an IT guy for a neurology practice. I'll probably stay here for another year, may move to New Jersey (for a girl of course...lol, dumb I know) next year. I realize I would need four years of college (I barely have a few credits under my belt) plus whatever time it would take to get into flight training. I'm wondering if I'm on a serious time constraint here. Is there a particular age in which I have to be accepted for flight training? Or is there an age limit for actually starting or simply applying for it? Basically, by what age do I have to do make a certain choice to make sure that age won't be an issue?

Perhaps I should post that last paragraph of questions in one of the other subforums?

T-man

Well, to start off, I'd say that if you do a search on this forum, you could probably find most of your answers. Only one I'm skeptical on finding an answer for is your Ortho-K question.

I know for a fact that there are multiple members on this site that are currently at some point in a flight contract with as bad if not worse vision than you have with a PRK waiver. If I remember correctly, reapergm would be one of those, and his eyesite was 20/400 before surgery?

The only question I can answer for you personally (which can also be found if you do a search) would be the age limit, and this comes from the Marine Corps side of things. For the Marine Corps, the age limit is 27.5 at the time of commissioning (after getting your bachelors and making it through OCS). The Navy may or may not have the same age limit, I do not know.

Hope that helps, and good luck in your endeavors. If there's one thing I've learned on this site from others, it's that if you don't ever give up, you'll eventually get in. Stay motivated!

Status
Not open for further replies.