• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Order of choices in service selection

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
I've exercised my search feature and have not found this asked specifically. (If I missed it I apologize and I will make my search button go do 8 counts)

I understand how the formula works for commissioning but In terms of actually choosing your selections I had a question.

I ultimately want something in aviation.. primarily SNA. But I would be completely happy with NFO as well. And ultimately if all else fails I have no problem going SWO since I am a prior surface E. I am busting my ass in school right now and making sure I do what I need to do to get what I want but I am more or less wondering this for hypothetical purposes.

With that said when the time comes my choices will be SNA,NFO,SWO. If by some random chance I do not make the cutoff for SNA, will my 2nd choice be taken into consideration more then my 3rd?

The reason I ask this is because the bit of threads I did pull up with information on this seem to elude to if you do not get your first pick, usually they dump you to your third... I was just curious to get some input from any recently commissioned officer or senior MIDs who just did their selection.

Once again if I missed this question being answered somewhere I apologize I did not see it when I searched

Renegade One

None
I'd recommend against trying to "game the system"...tell 'em what you want in the order you want it. Wouldn't you be a sad little camper if you listed SWO as your second choice and that's what you got, when there was an NFO slot open...but somebody else wanted it more? You will probably get exactly what you earn and what you are qualified for, assuming it's available at the time the decision needs to be made.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Here is an excerpt from a batallion email sent recently...looks like you HAVE to put down six options, one of which HAS to be SWO/NUKE. Needs of the Navy my friend, needs of the Navy...

Six designators are required for service assignment. Therefore, five Unrestricted Line (URL) designator choices and one Restricted Line/Staff Corps (RL/SC) choice should be entered for each student (except Nurses and STA-21 Target Option).

(1) The first five choices are for URL.
They must include the following: 1170E (1160N for females), 1390 or 1370, and 1160.

Therefore, only 1 SWO (1160) designator can fill your top-three choices.

Pick 5 of the following:

UNRESTRICTED LINE (URL)1160
Surface Warfare*1160E
Surface Warfare - Engineering Option*1160G
Surface Warfare - Oceanography Option1160N
Surface Warfare - Nuclear Option*1160P
Surface Warfare - Information Professional1170
Submarine1170E Submarine - Engineering Option1180
Special Warfare (SEAL)1190
Special Operations (EOD)1220N
Naval Reactors1370
Naval Flight Officer (NFO)1390
Student Naval Aviator (Pilot)

The final (6th) choice must be RL.
RESTRICTED LINE/STAFF CORPS (RL/SC)1630
Intelligence1640
Information Warfare1650
PAO (Public Affairs Officer)1970
Doctor1980
Dental2900
Nurse (midshipmen/STA-21 Target option only)3100
Supply Corps5100
CEC (Civil Engineering Corps)

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Cool thanks for the inputs guys... I think I would cry if I had to go Nuke....Not because it is difficult, but because I deal with engineers on an almost daily basis.. And as a technician you begin to realize that there is another language and mindset with those guys (I am not saying it is bad for all you Nukes or aspiring Nukes out there) Just not my cup of tea.

But yeah like you said needs of the navy..

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
+1 for not trying to game the system. They really aren't going to put a ton of thought into it, so don't overthink things yourself. I too had a moment of "what should my 3rd choice be", both in NROTC selection as well as primary selection. Both times I ended up putting down the thing I would be third happiest with (SWO and E-6 respectively) and neither time did it keep me from getting my 1st choice. If you have done what you need to do to be competitive, there is no need to game it. If you haven't, you're going to get what they want to give you, no matter how you try to write it on your selection sheet.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
+1 for not trying to game the system. They really aren't going to put a ton of thought into it, so don't overthink things yourself. I too had a moment of "what should my 3rd choice be", both in NROTC selection as well as primary selection. Both times I ended up putting down the thing I would be third happiest with (SWO and E-6 respectively) and neither time did it keep me from getting my 1st choice. If you have done what you need to do to be competitive, there is no need to game it. If you haven't, you're going to get what they want to give you, no matter how you try to write it on your selection sheet.

Thanks I appreciate that.. lol was kinda laughing how 2 of you said "game the system" Funny thing is I'll be the first to admit I am all about finding the shortcuts of the system..but I totally am doing my best to get this legit because it means that much to me...

I kinda think thats hardcore douchebaggery that there would be people who try to play the numbers to get something they don't deserve. But ultimately since I see a few of you mentioned it I guess it does happen =/

d3west86

The Navy recently changed the way that soon-to-be commissionees select designators. It used to be 3 unrestricted and 1 restricted line option. Now, it's FIVE unrestricted line and 1 restricted line option - at least that is what i had to do. I suspect that it is an attempt by big navy to increase its number of nukes (put nuke down as your fifth choice and you might has well have made it your first! haha).

I wanted aviation and ONLY aviation, so I strategically made my selections:

1) SNA
2) SNFO
3) SEAL
4) EOD
5) SWO

6) Public Affairs

Seal and EOD were a joke, and I knew that i wouldn't be seriously considered for those pipelines. SWO was as far back as possible, and I made sure to NOT list nuke.

I had 7 8 7 60 astb, so i figured that my chance for aviation were pretty good. Essentially, to get aviation you need to ensure that your GPA is decent, you have passable ASTB scores, and you are physically qualified (i.e. eyesight, hearing, etc.)

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
A Marine Officer who finished primary about a year ago wanted jets so bad he just couldn't contain himself. If there wasn't any way he could fly jets, he wanted Ospreys next. He put down C-130 as #2 because he knew C-130s were competitive and he thought it would squeeze his selection to jets. Off to Corpus with that guy! He was very, very upset at the time (but as he was a good professional guy, I'm sure he bucked up and is flying the crap out of C-130s now).

Just sayin'... the man doesn't think about that selection sheet as much as you do.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
The Navy recently changed the way that soon-to-be commissionees select designators. It used to be 3 unrestricted and 1 restricted line option. Now, it's FIVE unrestricted line and 1 restricted line option - at least that is what i had to do. I suspect that it is an attempt by big navy to increase its number of nukes (put nuke down as your fifth choice and you might has well have made it your first! haha).

I wanted aviation and ONLY aviation, so I strategically made my selections:

1) SNA
2) SNFO
3) SEAL
4) EOD
5) SWO

6) Public Affairs

Seal and EOD were a joke, and I knew that i wouldn't be seriously considered for those pipelines. SWO was as far back as possible, and I made sure to NOT list nuke.

I had 7 8 7 60 astb, so i figured that my chance for aviation were pretty good. Essentially, to get aviation you need to ensure that your GPA is decent, you have passable ASTB scores, and you are physically qualified (i.e. eyesight, hearing, etc.)

I thought NROTC does not commission restricted line? Do they just randomly make you choose something there just in case all else fails? LOL btw good call on the SEAL EoD thing I was thinking of doing the same thing actually just for that purpose.

I am fairly sure I am sitting good though for aviation in terms of everything else.. got a 3.3GPA and a 5 4 5 58 ASTB. Haven't taken a flight physical yet though. Just was not sure the methods to madness in choosing.

Like I said before though, Whatever I get I will make the best of it. I am just stoked to be doing this no matter what career field I get.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The RL choice is a backup in case you have med problems on your precom or some other unexpected circumstance.