• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Opening my mind to military aviation

VIZKRIEG

KILL
IMO, that's not the logic applied by those who control such things. The Navy and Marine Corps both need quality officer and enlisted personnel. For decades, they realized great success in identifying outstanding officer candidates among serving enlisted personnel in both services. So multiple programs exist to tap that rich pool of experienced personnel that is actually much lower risk in terms of ensuring they will adapt to military culture and discipline. I would venture the BUPERS folks look at it as an outstanding return on investment. It's certainly more competitive for sure, but they hardly make it more difficult to save money.

I suppose I didn't word my post in the most clear manner, but you just helped prove me point, HJ. A reserve Marine, Sailor, etc. does not qualify as experienced personnel, therefore, the service would have just sent them through boot, and gotten little to no return, when it makes more economic sense to just send the same individual straight to OCS. I do realize that the services are not completely "profit-driven" and run the way a corporation might be, but I refuse to believe that this factor doesn't come into play at all.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I suppose I didn't word my post in the most clear manner, but you just helped prove me point, HJ. A reserve Marine, Sailor, etc. does not qualify as experienced personnel, therefore, the service would have just sent them through boot, and gotten little to no return, when it makes more economic sense to just send the same individual straight to OCS. I do realize that the services are not completely "profit-driven" and run the way a corporation might be, but I refuse to believe that this factor doesn't come into play at all.

Your theory, as I understand it, is flat out incorrect.

Just to make sure that I'm hearing you correctly.......if there were 2 applicants for OCS that otherwise had the exact same credentials, and the sole distinguishing characteristic was that one of them was prior enlisted (active or reserve), the prior enlisted applicant would be the one LESS likely to be accepted?

And, further, that the reason the he is less likely to be selected is because the government is concerned with saving money based on capitalizing on the monetary investment already expended on the prior service applicant?

Is this what you're saying?

If so, then you are flat out wrong.

1. The government blows money with willful disregard on a regular basis. They may occasionally count paperclips, but they will actually spend more money than they're worth to do it. The government would never think of saving money like this.

2. The experience of even a "boot camp complete only" service member shows that he will actually follow through on a commitment, has the basic aptitude to follow orders, and is more more likely to assimilate into the military culture. In fact, he's part of the way there already. Any fleet knowledges that he was would be a further bonus, not detriment.

3. Selecting a prior servicemember would be a good example to the other active enlisted members, and just generally make everybody happier. It's really a proud moment when one of your Marines/sailors gets picked up for a commissioning program, or even gets promoted for that matter. Most officers, and I would imagine especially those in the selection process, are pulling for the priors deep down (and maybe not so deep down). We like to take care of our own.

If there ever were actually two identical candidates separated by only prior service, the prior service applicant woiuld be chosen every single time, and twice on Sundays.

phrogpilot73

If there ever were actually two identical candidates separated by only prior service, the prior service applicant woiuld be chosen every single time, and twice on Sundays.
What he said. Based on the shitty theory presented - then enlisted guys would stay enlisted guys, and would never be officers. Ask myself, Brett327, webmaster, scoober, etc. if that's the case.

And, in order to blow your fucked up theory COMPLETELY out of the water - a prior enlisted guy with the same academic credentials as a guy in high school has a BETTER chance of getting into the Naval Academy than the guy in high school. Don't believe me? There are 170 slots RESERVED at the Naval Academy PER YEAR for prior enlisted guys. They only compete amongst prior enlisted guys. That's why someone who has excelled in the military, but didn't do so great in high school (but has the aptitude) will get into USNA, whereas a comparable high school kid won't.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Lots of good info here and hopefully it will make original poster look into other options.

The only thing I saw that has yet to be covered is his comment about braces. I don't know Air Force policy for braces in AFROTC - he says he can't have them.

I do know that braces are considered waiverable for Navy ROTC, provided they will be removed / complete w/ the orthodontic procedure prior to commissioning.

USNA requires braces to be removed prior to Day one of Plebe Indoc.

My son is 6'4" and weighs 155. Time for both of them to start bulking up!

green air

I am told in ROTC that I will be required to go active duty Air Force once I graduate and become commissioned reguardless of if I get into flight school.

I have been told that in the reserves, I am not requried to go active duty unless i want to. (this meaning that I can stay reserves and if I do not get accepted into flight school, I stay home and live a mostly civilian life)

Serving your country sounds like a pain in the ass.

Both routes will help me pay for college immensly and look good on a resume.

Eventually I want to fly for a large airline

The military seems like it would definately help me to achieve that goal.

I'm glad part of my paycheck goes to pay for your resume and that goal.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
What he said. Based on the shitty theory presented - then enlisted guys would stay enlisted guys, and would never be officers. Ask myself, Brett327, webmaster, scoober, etc. if that's the case.

And, in order to blow your fucked up theory COMPLETELY out of the water - a prior enlisted guy with the same academic credentials as a guy in high school has a BETTER chance of getting into the Naval Academy than the guy in high school. Don't believe me? There are 170 slots RESERVED at the Naval Academy PER YEAR for prior enlisted guys. They only compete amongst prior enlisted guys. That's why someone who has excelled in the military, but didn't do so great in high school (but has the aptitude) will get into USNA, whereas a comparable high school kid won't.

My point was not to say that it is impossible to go from the Enlisted side to the Officer side, but rather to merely point out, as many others have, that enlisting is not a sure path to a commission. Once again, it is possible, and obviously you and others have done it, but when compared to the number of enlisted personnel, those of you who have done this are a minority.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
My point was not to say that it is impossible to go from the Enlisted side to the Officer side, but rather to merely point out, as many others have, that enlisting is not a sure path to a commission. Once again, it is possible, and obviously you and others have done it, but when compared to the number of enlisted personnel, those of you who have done this are a minority.

As I recall, the original point was that it is harder for prior enlisted to get commissioned than it is for Joe College off the street. Right?

Nobody said that enlisting was a sure path to commissioning.

The many priors on this site didn't get commissioned in spite of being priors. They did it, to one degree or another, with the help of their prior service experience.

Bottom line, prior enlisted service, with a respectable record of achievement during that service, helps applicants in the acceptance process.

Now, if you enlist and behave like an idiot or render sub-par performance, then that will hurt your package.

phrogpilot73

I never suggested that it was a sure path to a commission, and I have told others that in the past. As a matter of fact - it's going to be a long road if that's the path you take. However, based on your previous posts in this thread:

So you can see how they may make it more difficult to get a slot at OCS from the enlisted side, it saves money.

A reserve Marine, Sailor, etc. does not qualify as experienced personnel, therefore, the service would have just sent them through boot, and gotten little to no return, when it makes more economic sense to just send the same individual straight to OCS.

For what it's worth, those 170 slots at USNA are broken down into 85 active duty, 85 reserve. So apparently, they think that reserve experience is good. I was a reservist, and as HD pointed out - it all depends on how much of a bag of shit/not a bag of shit you are.

Your original posts were implying not that enlisting was a SURE path, but that enlisting was actually going to be detrimental - and that's not the case.

I'd also say that we're not as much in the minority as you think. Based on my experience - I'd hazard the statement that somewhere between 25-40% of the Marine Officer Corps is prior enlisted. You'd be surprised what the return on the investment is. Most of them stay in for a career. Take me for example, I was free & clear - and missed it too much. It wasn't something at USNA that made me feel that way...

Crowbar

None
enlisting is not a sure path to a commission. Once again, it is possible, and obviously you and others have done it, but when compared to the number of enlisted personnel, those of you who have done this are a minority.

The way I read this post, it implies that every single enlisted person is trying to get commissioned. Some aren't eligible (tattoos, citizenship, etc) and some just aren't interested. Enlisting is not designed to be a stepping stone to being an officer, but sometimes it happens that way.

If I get a couple of hours where I'm not doing anything and can stop touching myself, I'll look at the numbers for this year of Marines who applied for various commissioning programs versus number of officers and number of enlisted Marines. Don't hold your breath.

rhinoh82

enlisting is not a sure path to a commission

It is if you make it one. Following the guidelines that Harrier Dude and Phrog and others listed here. I made it my top priority, completed a four year degree and invaded Iraq all in 5 short years. I will say I missed out on all the frat parties, but I don't think they get to operate machinery like this!!

Attachments

• Gun Pic1.jpg
    Gun Pic1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 29