• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OP-ED Why I gave up journalism to join the Marines

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I was listening to NPR the other day and they interviewed him. He'd been a 2nd Lt for all of 72 hours. Sounds like a real good guy!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jboomer said:
I was listening to NPR the other day and they interviewed him. He'd been a 2nd Lt for all of 72 hours. Sounds like a real good guy!

NPR can be a little left of center sometimes in regards to military. How'd they treat him?

KBayDog

It will be nice to have a seasoned writer to tell our story from the "inside."

Maybe one of you upcoming TBS-types could get him on this board?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great idea

KBayDog said:
It will be nice to have a seasoned writer to tell our story from the "inside."

Maybe one of you upcoming TBS-types could get him on this board?

"Excellent, Skeletor!"

phrogpilot73

Even more importantly, did he come in on an air contract?!? Although I love flying, if he is awe-struck by the Marine Corps because of the leadership, he should seriously check out the grunts. I've been in the battalion for 2 months, and I'm amazed at the difference between the leadership there, and in the squadron.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
phrogpilot73 said:
I've been in the battalion for 2 months, and I'm amazed at the difference between the leadership there, and in the squadron.

For better or for worse?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
heyjoe said:
NPR can be a little left of center sometimes in regards to military. How'd they treat him?

Actually pretty decent. They asked legitimate questions, congratulated him on his commissioning, and wished him well! The hair stood on the back of my neck when I heard the topic, but it turned out well.

phrogpilot73

phrogdriver said:
For better or for worse?
Better, much better... Of course, I've been jaded by a string of bad CO's. That doesn't mean I haven't met great officers in the wing, but it just seems that you can slip through the cracks alot easier than you can in the battalion...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah same experience for me. Keep in mind the Grunts get a chance to bea no sh!t leader as a 2ndlt while we work upstairs and pay a bit of lip service to leadership. The first time an aviator gets a chance to really command is LtCol.