• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OOPS

jmcquate

Contributor
Ya, I hope it was at night. Seeing a ramp full of BONEs should make an RJ driver re-asses the approach.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm . . . a quick look at Google Maps shows the runways fairly close, and pointed almost parallel. Similar situation to Fairchild AFB and Spokane airport, it seems. Perusing Airnav.com, it seems only Runway 32 at Rapid City has an ILS. Wonder if our intrepid flight crew got vectored in the other way, called "field in sight" (oops), cancelled IFR early, contacted Tower, and then mothed off on the wrong set of lights.

jmcquate

Contributor
I checked out google maps too nittany, and what you speculated seems most likely, What I don't get about these things is why Rapid City tower didn't have eyes on them when they were cleared to land and gave them a heads up about where the hell they were going. Also, why Fairchild tower ( a base that I'm guessing has "special weapons" ) didn't try to ID the aircraft, on the Rapid City tower freq, making an unauthorized approach to their base.

Renegade One

None
A jet lands at the wrong airport?

INCONCEIVABLE.jpg

magnetfreezer

I checked out google maps too nittany, and what you speculated seems most likely, What I don't get about these things is why Rapid City tower didn't have eyes on them when they were cleared to land and gave them a heads up about where the hell they were going. Also, why Fairchild tower ( a base that I'm guessing has "special weapons" ) didn't try to ID the aircraft, on the Rapid City tower freq, making an unauthorized approach to their base.
It was at night so that may have been a factor for RC tower. Fairchild tower didn't try to ID them since their base was 800 miles away. If you're asking why Ellsworth tower didn't try to ID them, I'd guess that training flights were done for the night (so the airfield was closed). Or the Ellsworth tower didn't know there was a plane landing until they saw lights (given that they have separate tower frequencies).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Odd that. When I was at AOCS in P'cola the instructors had a real case of the ass against the Viking. I don't know why, but by the time I got commissioned I wanted to fly anything but the S-3!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Happened a couple of times in Desert Storm too in the Gulf with 3 carriers often steaming in the same area. A guy in my unit was an LSO on the Midway when an S-3 trapped on board by mistake, it left covered in zaps.
There were 4 carriers in the Gulf for a large portion of the war.