• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Online flight routing

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyone have a good (and free) recommendation for figuring out routing while flight planning? I've used DUATS, and it works, but managed to add 200 miles on a trip to Rhode Island. I tried areoplanner.com, and while it provided a shorter route, it's not quite as easy to see where it actually takes you, at least not without paying, from what I could see. I know there's some military program that does this if you have the software, but I don't it.

Thoughts?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OPARS? Always gave me good routing (just check the dip clearances, I know that isn't an issue for you now, but deployed guys need to be sure). Ask a P-3 guy, that sh!t is standard.

edit: free, widely available (for DOD), and you can put it on your home pc or laptop.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
saltpeter said:
Are you referring to preferred IFR routing? If so, check out the AFD.

I'm pretty sure he means that he wants a program where he can type in I'm leaving from point X and going to point Y, then the program fills in all the intermediate points.

I've never really found a satisfactory site to do that though. OPARS is the best I've been able to get. PFPS can do it if you know the airway you want.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Hoover and Zab:

Bingo, that's that what I'm looking for. I think OPARS was the program. I'll do a google search, but is this thing downloadable from a DOD site or do you need to get it from some ADP weenie?

EDIT:

Nevermind, found the FAQ. Guess I'll have to see if there's an account already.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
@Hoover and Zab:

Bingo, that's that what I'm looking for. I think OPARS was the program. I'll do a google search, but is this thing downloadable from a DOD site or do you need to get it from some ADP weenie?

EDIT:

Nevermind, found the FAQ. Guess I'll have to see if there's an account already.
Sorry, but how hard is it to just bust out a high chart and wag it? I've done about a million coast to coasts in my Prowler, and depending on how many legs you need to do and where you need to stop for gas, it doesn't seem all that complicated. Maybe I'm missing something.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually had this argument with someone once. His contention was that he could do just as well with his high chart. I agreed, but stipulated that you can do the same thing in half the time (even if you're talking 2 minutes vs 5) and get a predicted fuel consumption log. Work smarter, not harder.

You can request optimum jet route, or input your own legs based on preferential routing or operational mission requirement (great for IFR-VFR-IFR).

The system will account for pretty much every USN airframe, any model, any engine, and accounts for icing bias, climb and descent, and drag count.

Disclaimer: I had my own doubts about using a computer to do my b1tch work, but in 6 years, I've never been let down by OPARS. I had a flight from St Louis to Oahu, and my FE was freaking out because winds enroute were showing we would flameout over the Pacific. OPARS predicted a steady tailwind once we made the turn southwest. Dead on, we hit the FAF with 6K over our on-top min. Learn it, live it, love it. Plus it's easy.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I think that duats is the best because it is cheap and accurate. The only downside is that you have to break out the old enroute chart and figure out your own course if you want the most efficient routing. I usually just pick the fixes and airways myself on a map, visualize where I am going, and then let duats do the time, speed, distance deal. It is pretty accurate at calculating numbers for the trip and it is FREE.

saltpeter

I was original going to say a high chart and a goverment issue pen. Find out how many miles a pen is on the mileage scale and divide by groundspeed WAG. Flip the pen over and over again adding additional calculated flight time each time you flip the pen.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nope ... you're not missing a thing.

:icon_roll

Brett327 said:
Sorry, but how hard is it to just bust out a high chart and wag it? I've done about a million coast to coasts in my Prowler, and depending on how many legs you need to do and where you need to stop for gas, it doesn't seem all that complicated. Maybe I'm missing something.

Brett

Yes, it is actually possible that it's slighty more complicated than just going from point A to point B....

As Zab has said, it's about working smarter, not harder. For one, the high chart doesn't show half the places that you may want to go and a difference of 50 miles can jack up the plan. Secondly, having the time to sit down w/ a couple of low charts takes a bit of time. Hard? No, but when operating in a time limited environment (short of actually taking your work home...nah), why not have something that simplifies the process. Lastly, while I'm all for WAG'ing it, initially anyway, but the people who read the paperwork aren't. I'll leave it at that, but I'm sure you can understand what I mean.

It's not that I can't do it the old fashion way, just looking for the tools to help with the process.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
.... Work smarter, not harder.....
Completely agree ... and what WOULD I do without my microwave, computer, and electronic toothbrush. :)

Sometimes, over the Pacific, I have had better results using the noggin than the "smart guys" with the computers. But do I use computers? You bet. I want to emphasize to the "juniors" to learn the "basics" of the program(s) --- and then when the microwave craps out --- you can still rub two sticks together, get frustrated, and use your lighter .... :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
I want to emphasize to the "juniors" to learn the "basics" of the program(s) --- and then when the microwave craps out --- you can still rub two sticks together, get frustrated, and use your lighter

Now with that, I totally agree.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
Now with that, I totally agree.
AND WHAT ABOUT ALL THE REST !!?? You have hurt me deeply .... :cry_125: ... but still, I keep giving, and giving, and giving .... that's just my way.