• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Online Degrees and Aviation

Tomodachi

pilot
Hey all,

I'm an MA2 stationed in Yokosuka, Japan. I am attending classes at Excelsior College and taking advantage of CLEP/DSST testing to complete my degree. I should be finished by next summer.

Because of my rate I can't take brick and mortar (classroom w/ instructor) classes. I have to resort to online education and testing. I have less than a year when I have to decide whether to reenlist or get out of the Navy. I want to put in an OCS package for SNA/SNFO. I know about STA-21 program but I will have my Bachelors in Criminal Justice before I even mail the STA-21 package out.

I have done a lot of searching on these boards and other resources, and I understand Excelsior is a regionally accredited university which is good to go as far as OCS requirements. My question is, does the aviation community look down upon these types of degrees? I wish I could attend classes but this option suits my life right now.
Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I have done a lot of searching on these boards and other resources, and I understand Excelsior is a regionally accredited university which is good to go as far as OCS requirements.

Poli Sci to fly brother...as far as I know, the aviation community doesn't care what you get your degree in --- as long as you finish OCS and there's a slot available. Now, TPS or the like is a different story...but that has nothing to do with getting the foot in the door for flying...unless things have changed...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
See this thread for the most recent discussion re: online degrees and Air.

When you ask, "does the aviation community look down upon these types of degrees?" what exactly are you asking about? Do you mean for OCS selection, or in general?

Bottom line: once you're in the door, if you keep up with the Program and pass the tests, no one will care where you got your degree. Rocket Surgery or Dance History, it's all good. If you start falling behind academically (as opposed to airwork), your academic background will be examined as a possible contributing factor.

Tomodachi

pilot
When you ask, "does the aviation community look down upon these types of degrees?" what exactly are you asking about? Do you mean for OCS selection, or in general?

I'm asking when the OCS board looks at my package, specifically the Aviators, and notice I have an online degree would that make me not as competitive? Would they then just put my package under a stack of traditional degree people. I can easily not re-enlist and then just use my GI Bill as a civilian and get a traditional college degree if that's what it takes to be an aviator.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't rule out STA-21 until you have your degree. I was one online class away from graduating when I was accepted into STA-21. Its a great program and you may want to try your luck with that before you apply for graduation. I would bet that with all the classes you've taken your application for STA-21 would be pretty good. Then if the numbers don't work out in your favor, drop the OCS package after you finish up online. You never know how the numbers will work out for each program and so you have to be persistent until you get what you want. Especially right now when everyone wants in.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm asking when the OCS board looks at my package, specifically the Aviators, and notice I have an online degree would that make me not as competitive? Would they then just put my package under a stack of traditional degree people. I can easily not re-enlist and then just use my GI Bill as a civilian and get a traditional college degree if that's what it takes to be an aviator.

Doesn't matter. To get your foot in the Aviation Officer door, an online degree is fine. I've seen lots of API students come through with them. For a prior, your performance in the Fleet - evals, awards, etc and so on - matters a lot more. Getting a name-brand-school degree will open more doors for you after the Navy, but of course, that'll add a few years to your timeline. Depends on your personal priorities.