• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ONI question

Zazzarito

Cadet
It is possible to be a Naval Aviator but for shore assignment work for the Office of Naval Intelligence. I want to become a pilot however the intelligence community has interested me some also. I was just wondering if that was a possibility to get stationed there for shore assignments as an aviator.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can do intel-related shore jobs as an aviator, SPEAR at ONI was set up specifically to provide aviator-focused intel to the fleet and is staffed mainly by aviators. There are usually more than enough jobs out there for those who want them though it can be a neutral to negative on your career mainly depending on the particular job and your community, they are usually not a 'plus'.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I did a shore tour there as a pilot....
Truth be told, I would have much rather have stayed flying. However the TS/SCI clearance and "analyst" experience has helped me out in my post-USN life.

das

Contributor
For what it's worth, there are a lot more ways to work with and around intelligence than being at ONI specifically. There are many other commands and capabilities which work with and intersect with the Intelligence Community. Also, many aviators have moved into intel, cyber, and other similar roles later in their careers. Very visible example: VADM Kendall Card is the DCNO for Information Dominance and Director of Naval Intelligence. He's an aviator.

MasterBates

My advice- If you want to go, you can, but don't let that cat out of the bag until about 20 months into your JO tour.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In general, non-flying shore jobs < flying shore jobs, at least as far as staying on the DH-XO-CO-MAJCOM-Flag track. Personally, I say persue interesting and rewarding tours, rather than mindlessly trying to stay on the Golden Path (not to say the standard career track can't be interesting and rewarding, just that I've known lots of guys who value the 'right' billets uber alles and will tell you to disdain anything else). If an intel track is interesting to you when you get to that decsion point in your career, go for it, just be aware you may be going down a rabbit hole.

And to echo MB, don't bring it up with Millington or your first squadron chain until you're at the no-shit, I-need-my-next-orders point. Some skippers will interpret you going for nonflying gigs as volunteerring to take yourself off the career track, and will use you as cannon fodder accordingly come fitrep ranking time. As Jimmy Buffett said, burn that bridge when you come to it.